Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,889 times

Advertisements

Hi! Im a 37yr old female moving to Oahu with my two year old Boxer dog. Im looking for any advice on the best places to live. I will be working at the Ala Moana mall,making about $68,000. I will bringing my car,all of my furnishings and in time my doggie. Iam not a city girl,but really don't want a long commute,I hear the traffic is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 PM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
Houses and apartments in Hawaii are much smaller than mainland ones, you may want to start out bringing only the essential stuff and leave about half in storage on the mainland. If you want some of the stored stuff, you can have it sent over later as it is wanted.

Ala Moana generally calls itself a shopping center and not a mall. Not exactly sure of the difference between the two, but generally it is referred to as a shopping center.

The traffic is bad, but almost all the buses go to Ala Moana Shopping Center since that is the major bus stop on the island. A bus pass is about $50 per month and then you can read, chat with the other people on the bus or just look out the window while someone else does the driving in traffic. Finding an apartment for you near Ala Moana Shopping Center wouldn't be hard, but finding a rental which would take a large dog is going to make it a lot harder.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,889 times
Thanks for the clarification on the shopping center,I can handle the traffic. I just dont want to. I had a feeling the size of my dog would make it difficult. I just won't leave her behind. Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:30 AM

7 posts, read 26,321 times
Might I ask what you your job is? Are you in management? Just curious.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM

30 posts, read 77,594 times
Default Craigslist

Have you checked out Craigslist?
We're moving in about 35 days -and that's how we found our housing community. It's a commute- but we don't mind. They accept pets, but going back to the first issue- it is a commute.

Check out craigslist, even put out an ad looking for housing and see if someone answers. Just an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu