Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,376 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

After reading some of the postings here, I have an impression that it might be more costly to live in Honolulu/East Oahu/ Maui than in Tokyo. But, most (if not all) surveys on cost of living say Tokyo is more expensive. I have lived in Tokyo so I know the cost of living there, but I don't know that of Oahu or Maui. Does Oahu or Maui make people feel more expensive because they offer less variety of places to shop around for bargains or less groceries? Tokyo is expensive but you can get things cheaper if you look around or wait.

I plan to relocate to Oahu in 2 years and I would appreciate any comments from those who can compare the prices of Tokyo and Oahu.
I'm not rich yet, but I'm frugal and I mind dining out. So, if I feel okay with Tokyo's cost, I should be okay in Oahu right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
I'm living in Japan now..and been to Tokyo many times, and Honolulu as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the BIG difference is that there are MANY ways to make money in Tokyo...and jobs pay very well.

In Hawaii, MUCH MUCH fewer ways to attain money, and most jobs are not going to pay anywhere near Tokyo standards.

All of that being said, much like it is easy to find your 100 yen stores in Japan and get by on much less...same goes with Honolulu in particular. I think out in Maui, you are really stuck with what few selections and choices you have, whereas Honolulu would be more competitive price-wise.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,252 times
That survey is based on a 2 bedroom luxury apartment.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
I generally agree with your premise: you'll be okay in Honolulu if you're okay in Tokyo.

ECA's 2009 cost-of-living study shows Tokyo to be the second most expensive city for expats. (Link: BBC NEWS | Business | Tokyo 'most expensive expat city' ) The same survey ranks Honolulu 41st (Survey ranks Honolulu as 41st costliest place to live | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser).

Mercer Human Resources Consulting does a similar annual survey (fewer cities considered) ranks Tokyo as the (number 1) most expensive city and Honolulu repeats as the 41st. (Link: List of most expensive cities for expatriate employees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

There are quite a few "very expensive" cities in-between: New York, Paris, London, Rome, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, for example. These studies use New York as a benchmark, and since they are for expatriates, depend heavily upon the value and stability of one's national currency.

I think many posters on the forum are comparing the cost-of-living on Oahu (or in the state as a whole) to mainland US towns and cities. Presumably those of us who have lived in major cities on the mainland (NY, LA, SF, Boston, DC, etc.) are less shocked than those who live (or lived) in the outlying areas or smaller cities and towns.

Here on Maui, we definitely have fewer retail choices at either the luxury or discount end of the spectrum. This sometimes causes one to doubt the "value" (a highly individual and subjective matter) of a product because there may be nothing available to compare it to. (Not just in the case of groceries, clothing, etc., but also furnishings, appliances, electronics, and larger ticket items.) It's very hard to compare living in a major metropolitan area to living in a semi-rural area, even if the latter is dotted with resorts. As long as you're comparing apples to apples, you should be fine.

Best of luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Honolulu is ranked #2 most expensive in the USA and 25th worldwide. New York City is #1 in the USA.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planning to relocate View Post
So, if I feel okay with Tokyo's cost, I should be okay in Oahu right?
The wages are significantly different.

But yeah, cost of living, more or less the same.

I feel like Honolulu is a BIT easier, just because taxis or subways are absolutely essential in Tokyo, whereas Honolulu has a lot of reasonable options with either low cost bus available or cars can get by without high parking costs.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,376 times
Thank you all for your comments and time writing.
It seems it's on par with Tokyo on the cost of living.

Let me give you some of my backgrounds.
- Oh, I read about the bugs, pitbulls, traffic, mosquitos, etc.. ^^;
- We have been to Honolulu a couple of times and we liked it as tourists.
- I'm a Korean, my wife is a Japanese. We have a 5 year old daughter.
- I have been living in Austin for 11 years.
- I read the public schools are not that good. I believe we as parents can supplement what schools cannot provide to my daughter.
- Crimes. well I felt safe when I visited Honolulu..
- I am a beginner CPA and my wife will be graduating soon with health care administration degree. How is the job market for hospital management in Oahu?
-I and my wife know how to repect and blend among folks.
-we don't have $120,000, 20% downpayment for a median priced home. Far less than that. But, we understand that buying a house is a life long project and we don't mind saving hard for it. I don't think saving hard and being frugal to buy a home translate into sacrificing or painul. It's a normal life where we grew up.
-I would rather have the Rock Fever than the Texas heat.

Based on some of my backgrounds, can you all throw me some thoughts or comments on reasons why I should reconsider moving to Oahu?

Last edited by planning to relocate; 07-14-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM

103 posts, read 304,923 times
I don't know how to convince you to move to Oahu, but I'm making the move next month. I currently live in Austin as well and the heat is pretty terrible these days. To be completely honest, I'd rather live in Japan any day. Even over lovely Hawaii. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-15-2009 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: personal blogs are not allowed here.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 AM

236 posts, read 648,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
I don't know how to convince you to move to Oahu, but I'm making the move next month. I currently live in Austin as well and the heat is pretty terrible these days. To be completely honest, I'd rather live in Japan any day. Even over lovely Hawaii. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Why would you prefer Japan? Seems more crowded, noisy, polluted and racist.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
Why would you prefer Japan? Seems more crowded, noisy, polluted and racist.
I'm white and live in Japan, no racist experiences whatsoever.

Japan isn't polluted either. Very 1st world.

Noisy & crowded depends on where you are...Japan doesn't equal Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu