Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 12:52 PM

6 posts, read 38,612 times

Advertisements

Hi, recently i've been looking up colleges that have my major (Asian Studies/East Asian studies) with Korean language as a class and I found Hawaii Manoa. I became interested in Asia when I went to Vietnam in 10th grade with my Vietnamese friend, and ever since then I've wanted to travel and learn more about it, specifically South Korea.
I just have some questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Is this school hard to get into? My GPA was only a 2.7 something and SATS were average.

2. Is the study abroad program good?

3. Is it expensive to live Hawaii? (I would be staying in a dorm but i mean food wise and extra things)

4. Is it hard to find a part time job? (I don't plan on staying in Hawaii after college I'll probably be moving to Asia I just need one for the time I'm in College)

5. If this school is not good for me, do you know of any others that have the korean language and asian studies/study abroad programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 AM

116 posts, read 397,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochocklover17 View Post
Hi, recently i've been looking up colleges that have my major (Asian Studies/East Asian studies) with Korean language as a class and I found Hawaii Manoa. I became interested in Asia when I went to Vietnam in 10th grade with my Vietnamese friend, and ever since then I've wanted to travel and learn more about it, specifically South Korea.
I just have some questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

1. Is this school hard to get into? My GPA was only a 2.7 something and SATS were average.

You can check admission information at www.hawaii.edu/admissions

I've worked with the staff but I am unfamiliar on whether the program is good, or not. Sorry.

3. Is it expensive to live Hawaii? (I would be staying in a dorm but i mean food wise and extra things)

Yes. Dormers always complain about the meal plans offered. Here is a list of this academic year's Student Housing prices Fees (http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/apply/fees.cfm - broken link) and there is a link to meal plan information towards the bottom of the page.

4. Is it hard to find a part time job? (I don't plan on staying in Hawaii after college I'll probably be moving to Asia I just need one for the time I'm in College)

I would say that if you want to work retail, Ala Moana and Waikiki are near by. Service industry like restaurants are also near. It may not be too difficult to find part-time work. Due to budget constraints on-campusemployment is not as easy to find as it was a year or two ago. You can get employement, both On and Off campus at the Student Employment Center CDSE - Career Development and Student Employment at the University of Hawaii at Manoa

5. If this school is not good for me, do you know of any others that have the korean language and asian studies/study abroad programs?
Not sure about this, as I am an alumni and employee at UHM. UHM does emphasize asian studies as the population as well as culture is heavily Asian.

Good luck with your education!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:04 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
You may also want to consider going to school in the Philippines.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 166,820 times
I'm posting from research and not experience. UHM does not seem extremely selective in terms of admissions. I don't think you'll have a problem there.

The cost of Hawaii is exaggerated. Dorms and meal plans are overpriced at every school. Share a house with some roommates you find on craigslist and watch where you spend your money and you will not have too much of a problem.

As far as jobs, if you are a full-time student you can take out student loans for whatever expenses you have. If you are worried about paying them back then maybe you should choose a more lucrative major. I'm not telling you what direction you should take your life, but college is very expensive and you should consider the return you will get on your time and money investment when it is said and done.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Quote:
I'm faculty and don't work in admissions, so I can't really answer your question based on experience. But a quick google search yielded stats about this year's freshman class:
UH Manoa Undergraduate Admissions: About UH Manoa: Freshman Class Profile

Your GPA is below average, but that doesn't mean you won't get in. I do know that they have a regulation about % of students from the mainland (I think it's capped at 30%). So it may be more difficult for you to get in than for a non-HI resident.

Quote:
I've heard good things about it from my students. I know that they also solicit faculty to go and teach courses abroad sometimes (thinking about it... gotta get tenure first, I think). Again, quick google search gave a link: University of Hawai'i at Manoa Study Abroad Center

Quote:
In a word, yes. This has been discussed to death in this forum. Do a forum search on "expensive" or even better "milk" to see what people have to say.

Quote:
All of my students work. The lucky ones work on campus. Others wait tables or work in retail nearby. Jobs aren't plentiful, but it seems like students do find them.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
All of my students work. The lucky ones work on campus. Others wait tables or work in retail nearby. Jobs aren't plentiful, but it seems like students do find them.
Really, all of your students work? Is it just for the extra cash? Because they have the time?

You mentioned in another thread about students having to work which makes it more difficult for them to maintain high grades. Is there any reason they can't take out more loans? I know many people who do not, or did not work in college and got by only through loans and grants. An engineer I work with told me he had so many loans being thrown at him that he actually managed to "save" money while in college and let it accrue interest.

From what I've seen the loans are still out there. Are people reluctant to take on the additional debt due to concerns over the job market?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Calling View Post
Really, all of your students work? Is it just for the extra cash? Because they have the time?

You mentioned in another thread about students having to work which makes it more difficult for them to maintain high grades. Is there any reason they can't take out more loans? I know many people who do not, or did not work in college and got by only through loans and grants. An engineer I work with told me he had so many loans being thrown at him that he actually managed to "save" money while in college and let it accrue interest.

From what I've seen the loans are still out there. Are people reluctant to take on the additional debt due to concerns over the job market?
Yeah, really, all of the undergrads work. The grad students, like grad students everywhere, are mostly TAs. But that's still working.

When I was an undergrad, I worked rather than take out extra loans. The idea of purposefully taking on debt was just not something that was done in my family, I guess. I got all the same offers, and I tossed them.

I think the local students especially see lots of people struggle to get by, work multiple jobs... maybe they don't feel certain they'll be able to pay off loans when they graduate and still get by. Maybe they're still living at home and work to help out with family expenses (I know this is the case at least with some of them).

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I think the local students especially see lots of people struggle to get by, work multiple jobs... maybe they don't feel certain they'll be able to pay off loans when they graduate and still get by. Maybe they're still living at home and work to help out with family expenses (I know this is the case at least with some of them).
I can understand that. Maybe working through college seems like the more responsible option.

I have a different take on it though. I think ultimately it might be better to take out the extra loans if it helps you focus more on school. A higher GPA might allow you more grants and scholarships or make it easier to get into a graduate program.

I'm actually planning on working weekends at least.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 38,612 times
Thanks Everyone, and just another question, do you think it'd be better for me to get 24 credits at a community college then just transfer? Is it easier to get in when you transfer? I think that i'll have a better college gpa than i did at highschool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu