U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM

106 posts, read 218,857 times

Advertisements

I have seen multiple places listed on craigslist as "rent to own" and not at a bad price, and nearly no down payment.

Has anyone had any experience with "rent to own" or know anything about them? Are they legit? Is it a good idea, or would it be better to rent an apartment if you can't afford a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM

30 posts, read 112,041 times
I recently noticed one of these too. It was something like a newer three bedroom house with an outdoor hot tub for $650/month.. Something told me that was a scam.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,899,509 times
I have seen a couple of these also. I believe that this market is from the high foreclosure rate and the company's there in need to do something with the properties . I would be very wary of getting into one of these without letting a Lawyer look at the contracts first.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Calling View Post
I recently noticed one of these too. It was something like a newer three bedroom house with an outdoor hot tub for $650/month.. Something told me that was a scam.
I seen that one too, no way thats true. But some claim to have multiple properties. Was just wondering if that is common, or if just isn't that common to be able to rent a actual house on oahu.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM

9,700 posts, read 6,982,687 times
legit rent to own has good and bad on both sides. I think it works like this. the renter/future owner and the owner of the property enter into contract. they agree on a price. for the owner agreeing on a price well before the close of escrow can be bad, depending on how long the escrow/lease period is, the house could go up thousands of dollars in value and the owner is under contract to sell at the price set in the terms. on the renters side there is usually a down required and if the renter does not follow through on the contract the down is lost to compensate the owner for his house being off the market for so long. the renter after his lease period is over need to perform on the contract and get the money he needs to buy the house.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,807,926 times
If you look closely thru Craigslist, you see the same ads all over. If you begin to check into them, you will find out that they all want you to give them your SS# and they want $1 for "starting the process.

They have no houses. It is a SCAM. Stay away.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
If you look closely thru Craigslist, you see the same ads all over. If you begin to check into them, you will find out that they all want you to give them your SS# and they want $1 for "starting the process.

They have no houses. It is a SCAM. Stay away.
I thought so, sounded too good to be true.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:07 PM

285 posts, read 571,006 times
I bought a house with a lease to own plan when I lived on the mainland. If it is done through a real estate office there are no problems with it. The way it works is after a purchase price is agreed on the contract is drawn up almost like a rental agreement you pay security deposit and first months rent. The contract states that it is a lease with option to buy, and a percentage of the monthly rent is applied toward the down payment on the home once the contract comes to an end. Someone said that these type sales can be bad for owners if thier property gains in value over the contract period true they would loose out on the added value but if they were in a position to hold on to the property they wouldnt be trying to sell in the first place. It can be a blessing to someone or young couple who have everything going for them except the down payment or established credit and want to get thier foot in the toward home ownership.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times
Rent to own on Hawaii is an issue due to scams. People will enter a rent-to-own on Hawaii without ever seeing the property, doing any checking on the property, or using their own legal advice. They throw caution away and instead are blinded by the Hawaii ownership thrill and get suckered into all sorts of stuff. They would spend more time reading and getting a contact review for cell service than they would for sight-unseen property on Hawaii. That's what I think raises the caution!

Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
Default It's true but....

Rent to own homes are a good route to go if you want to buy a house but don't have the credit or the money. It's usually for those who are trying to re build their credit and its a really good option to take, what happens is you come into an agreement with the owner of the home. You two agree on both the time and the amount of rent each month, some owners already have their prices set in stone but you can hagel with them a little or you can have your Realtor negotiate them down or up. Each month the rent you pay goes towards your down payment for the home. Once the time is up the owner will sign over the house to you as if you brought the home from him/her. The only catch is if your ever late they can kick you out or decide to no longer want to sell you the home once your time is up they can also still do showings of the home while you are living there. So that's the deal with rent to own homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu