U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM

168 posts, read 454,502 times

Advertisements

Hi I am moving to Hawaii in June. I don't think I want to live in the actual city of Honolulu. Just isn't for me. I am considering the Kaneohe & Kailua areas. Does anyone have any advice or opinons on these areas. I will be living alone and am a 22 yr old female. Will I be safe over there? Is it affordable (in terms of Oahu, I know its expensive to live anywhere on the island.) I have heard that commuting into Honolulu is fairly easy compared to other parts of the island..any truth to this? Any advice or tips or personal experiences or opinons are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks soo much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM

263 posts, read 547,698 times
Did you already read the City by City thread at the very top of this Hawaii forum?
There's more than one review of Kailua.

I think Kailua is "safe". It's not known for criminal activity. I don't know what your budget is but Kailua doesn't have a lot of condos or apartments for rent. There are some. It's a town with mostly single family homes.

You do have more options to go where you want compared to some other town on the island. You can get out of Kailua either by going over/through the mountains - Pali Highway, the Likelike Highway (if you go into Kaneohe) or the H3 Interstate (hahaha!) Highway. Likelike is pronunced "leaky leaky". You can also take Kalanianaole Highway from Kailua to town although it is a slower longer way to get out, IMO. There's a decent public bus transportation system. I have family members who bus it to town. Depending on where you're going to in town, you may have to transfer to another bus at Ala Moana Center or in Downtown.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:46 PM

I did just read the city by city post. It was VERY helpful thanks!

Old 11-27-2009, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,256 times
I live in Kailua with my husband and 3 year old. It is very safe. I actually live in condo and so do most of my friends. Check out the condos on Aoloa Street and Aoloa Place: Hokulani, Poinciena, Koolau Vista, and Windward Passage. These are all in Downtown Kailau and walking distance from stores and restaurants. I would highly recommend Kailua over Kaneohe because of the town center in Kailua. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:16 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,152,114 times
I guess another factor is will you have to work and the commute if so.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 AM

263 posts, read 547,698 times
If she's commuting to Honolulu then the commute is not bad at all from Kailua or Kaneohe. She has several options of getting to town. It's predictably slow in the morning and late afternoons on the Likelike Hwy and Pali Hwy, but still nothing as bad as the H-1/H-2 going to/from the Ewa Plain.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Thanks soo much! I have heard that its gona suck to commute anywhere if you're not used to it (and there's no real commute in my small mid-western town) but that Kailua is not bad in comparison. I am still researching everything trying to decide on a location that i'd like to live. I am coming to visit in just over a month to check everything out and hopefully that will help me. Thanks for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu