Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,302 times

Advertisements

I'm being transferred to Honolulu by my work. I'm sure I will have lots of questions as we plan the move, and I'll try to keep them semi-intelligent. Many have already been answered in previous posts and I thank everyone in the forum for their help and educational answers. Sorry to be one more mainlander clogging up the islands, but I'll try not to spoil anything and fit in as best I can! My family is very excited, though my daughter (14) is a little apprehensive. Typical friends/school/social anxiety. I think she'll be ok once she sees how beautiful it is in person and gets to meet some local kids.

Anyway, for my questions, in no particular order:

1) Is rust a big problem for cars? Currently we have a large pickup and a Pontiac Grand Prix, but we're probably going to sell them and downsize to a single small SUV-type car (Jeep Liberty?). I will have a work-provided car, so I think we can get by with one personal car. I would prefer to buy a new car here and have it shipped, because my belief is that it would be less expensive, but correct me if I'm wrong. However, if rust is a problem for cars in that climate, I may go with a used car that wont upset me if it gets holes in it after 3 years!

2) My daughter is heavily involved in dance, primarily ballet. She is on pointe, and is very talented. One of her anxieties is leaving the dance studio where she is now, because she has seniority there and is getting better and better parts in their productions. The seniority thing isn't that much of an issue, but she does want to continue dancing at a high level. Is there a pro-level dance studio in Honolulu that she can go to to continue her dance education and discipline?

3) Relating to #2, my daughter is also in a competitive dance troupe at her school that does contemporary dance. Of the private schools in Honolulu, which one has the "best" arts programs that include modern dance or even traditional dance (like ballet)? She's an AP student, so academics and college-prep is just as important. I've been looking at schools like Iolani and Punahou, both of which look like they have good arts programs, but I'd like some opinions.

4) Looks like there is a lot of new construction over west/northwest of Pearl Harbor (leeward??). Many of the new-home real estate listings are over that way. Is that a decent area to live? I see there's at least one mall over there, lots of places to eat, etc. On the other hand, I'll be working in "downtown" Honolulu and most of the private schools seem to be over that way, so that might be a heck of a commute. How long would that normal drive time be? I don't mind a long drive in exchange for a nice area for my family, just curious. My current commute is 22 miles in 30 minutes average. I have no need to live anyplace "trendy", just want to have a nice place in a safe, family-friendly area.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Rust never sleeps and nobody cares what your car looks like, forget new cars they smell nasty. Get an old beach beater if you need a car other than the company car. Also, parking is tight, traffic is terrible and gas prices are really expensive so the smaller the car, the better. If work is providing you with a car, then you may only need that one if you can use it on weekends. The Bus system on Oahu is pretty good. Also the weather on Oahu is generally nice and the places folks go are generally pretty close to each other so bicycles (if the area is flat), mopeds, scooters and small motorcycles are also good way to get around.

If you are working in downtown (I hope your employer provides you with a parking space) then the leeward area will have a horrible commute. The distance isn't that far, it's just that the highway is a parking lot several hours a day. For neighborhoods with a better commute to downtown, try Hawaii Kai, Aina Haina, Diamond Head, Kaimuki, Kaneohe, Kailua, Nuuanu and Manoa.

Manoa may be closest to any dancers since the university is there. I haven't a clue where the dance folks are so I can't help you much there.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Man, but I LOVE that new car smell!! (lol). Company car is for company business, so I gotta have at least one other vehicle for the family to use and for weekends. I'm not so much worried about the status-y part of the new car, just want something with a warranty and that will work 100% of the time so I don't have to worry about the family in it. Also, part of the plan was that this car might be something my kid could take to college, so that's a concern.

Speaking of motorcycles, what's the etiquette for bikes in Hawaii? I had also considered that as an option for me at least. I'm not into loud bikes (HD, piped sport-bikes, etc), but something stock and unobtrusive just for casual use. Is there much of a bike scene on Oahu? And again, better to import or buy local?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
You might also want to look into the tax implications of shipping a new vehicle to Hawaii. I'm pretty sure the state has tried to improve local car sales by levying a tax on vehicles less than a year old shipped from the mainland. Or something like that. I know there are other posters here who know more. (We're driving our '96 until it totally dies.)

Best of luck.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If the kid is going to go to college/university in Hawaii, the car will be a liability since there is zero (or as good as zero) parking on campus. They even have trouble finding space to park the mopeds.

It might be cheaper to rent a car for when you want to use it on weekends then to keep one all the time. Depends on if you have parking for a second car. That is, if you take the company car home and have to park it there.

When considering buying local or shipping from the mainland (especially if it is new stuff) call the dealer in Hawaii and ask what sort of prices you can get. Tell them you are considering shipping one in and if they can beat the shipped in price, then you'll consider buying one from them. Get the deal in writing, though, not just over the phone verbal or it might change by the time you get here.

Folks are quite fond of Hondas, they are reliable, inexpensive and easy to park.

New ones still stink like plastic and pollution, though. I think it is a sheer marketing ploy to bamboozle folks into thinking of that stench as a good thing.

For bicycles, mopeds, scooters and motorcycles in Hawaii, get a really good lock. Not just the kind that locks onto the brake disc (for motorcycles), but one you can attach the whole bike to something stationary like a telephone pole. Just a post, sometimes they will lift the bike off the post if it is a smaller bike or moped. I had nothing but my motorcycle for transportation for a decade in Honolulu and that was before the traffic got as fierce as it is now. Much easier to maneuver through traffic and much easier to find parking for it.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Anyway, for my questions, in no particular order:

1) Is rust a big problem for cars?

2) Is there a pro-level dance studio in Honolulu that she can go to to continue her dance education and discipline?

3) Relating to #2, my daughter is also in a competitive dance troupe at her school that does contemporary dance. Of the private schools in Honolulu, which one has the "best" arts programs that include modern dance or even traditional dance (like ballet)?

4) Looks like there is a lot of new construction over west/northwest of Pearl Harbor (leeward??). Many of the new-home real estate listings are over that way. Is that a decent area to live?
1. When I lived in Hawaii in the 60's, you would see cars with bodies looking like swiss cheese. No more. I think the rust-proofing of all cars is much more effective now.

2. The one that I know of, and is all over the news, is

24 - VII Danceforce, in Kaneohe

Photos: 24-VII Danceforce | 24-VII Danceforce | Photo 1/24 | Metromix Honolulu

24-7 DANCEFORCE | MySpace

YouTube - 24-VII DanceForce: Select Group Take 1000000000000

If you put 24 - VII Danceforce in YouTube.com, you can see lots more.

3. The best dance events I have seen on Oahu were at a public school - Castle High School in Kaneohe. A man named Ron Bright absolutely galvanized that school in theater and dance in the last ten or fifteen years.

4. I wouldn't advise it if you are going to work in Honolulu. The commute is a killer. Use the search feature here, and look for threads with

EWA
Kapolei
Makakilo
Mililani

Hank

Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

263 posts, read 867,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post

2) My daughter is heavily involved in dance, primarily ballet. She is on pointe, and is very talented. One of her anxieties is leaving the dance studio where she is now, because she has seniority there and is getting better and better parts in their productions. The seniority thing isn't that much of an issue, but she does want to continue dancing at a high level. Is there a pro-level dance studio in Honolulu that she can go to to continue her dance education and discipline?

3) Relating to #2, my daughter is also in a competitive dance troupe at her school that does contemporary dance. Of the private schools in Honolulu, which one has the "best" arts programs that include modern dance or even traditional dance (like ballet)? She's an AP student, so academics and college-prep is just as important. I've been looking at schools like Iolani and Punahou, both of which look like they have good arts programs, but I'd like some opinions.

4) Looks like there is a lot of new construction over west/northwest of Pearl Harbor (leeward??). Many of the new-home real estate listings are over that way. Is that a decent area to live? I see there's at least one mall over there, lots of places to eat, etc. On the other hand, I'll be working in "downtown" Honolulu and most of the private schools seem to be over that way, so that might be a heck of a commute. How long would that normal drive time be? I don't mind a long drive in exchange for a nice area for my family, just curious. My current commute is 22 miles in 30 minutes average. I have no need to live anyplace "trendy", just want to have a nice place in a safe, family-friendly area.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks!
2. Yes, there is a good ballet program here. I say that as someone who has seen their programs, not as someone who attended their classes. Check out the Main Page of the Hawaii State Ballet.

3. Castle High School was once known for its drama program. I don't know if Ron Bright who headed the program is still there. I thought he wasn't, but I could be completely wrong. However, as far as academics go, Castle is not close to Iolani or Punahou. Of the two, Punahou not only has a great academic program, but it has a reputation for being more well rounded in the arts compared to Iolani which is known more for its acadmics. One of my friends is a graduate of Punahou. She says the quality of their drama and arts programs is very good. Not anyone can join the programs at Punahou. You need some talent.

4. I wouldn't drive from the leeward area to downtown. The commute is very long. You could easily spend 2 hours on the road if there's an accident.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:21 AM

Those are GREAT responses! I will definitely check out the 24-VII Danceforce studio and the Hawaii State Ballet. At the moment, we're leaning toward Punahou, but we'll try to see all of them when we come over for our house-hunting trip. I showed my daughter the dance studios online, and she immediately got more interested in the move, so I'm VERY grateful for those suggestions!!!

For the car, we may also look at available vehicles while we're house hunting. I've seen reasonable deals online out there, so if we come across something nice, I may get it and store it until we're officially moved. My work pays to ship one car, so that's not really an expense, but we may just be better served by buying local, and that also helps support the local economy. Also definitely considering a scooter or small cycle for short local hops.

A lot of our speculation is academic until we get eyes on, naturally. We debate about house vs condo/apartment, areas, etc. Saw some attractive home ads in the Kaneohe area, but some darn nice looking condos closer to the schools and work. I'll definitely try out the commutes from perspective purchases to get a realistic feel for what it'll be like day to day. We have a dog, so I'm not wild about having to take the dog downstairs and out to a dog park or designated area for her to do her business, pick up after her, and then back upstairs every time she wants to go out. (sigh)

I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Just give me a minute or two!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu