Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM

285 posts, read 1,082,992 times

Advertisements

Guess I better ring in on this. All the beaches are not covered by homeless, true there are some homeless areas. But it is also true that there are homeless in Waikiki as well so does that make Makaha a worse place than Waikiki? NO! Now lets talk about drugs, are there drugs in Makaha? I am not a user but would bet that there are drugs here. Are there drugs in Honolulu? Yes, and probably in larger quanities so does that make the city better than the country? NO! How about going out at night? I go out and sometimes walk the beach at night go to 7-11, fast food places, have no problems. Would I go walking in Waikiki at oh say like 3am not no but HELL NO! Just watch the news always someone getting attacked, robbed, or killed at all hours of the night when they probably should be safe at home or in the hotel. Sure things happen out here, but dosent seem like as often as in town. Now about housing, The Waianae Coast is not built up for tourists this is our home if you want to see true Hawaii come to the Waianae Coast, beautiful mountain ranges, uncrowded beaches, sunshine almost everyday, and believe it or not friendly people. This area is no more slum or ghetto than you can find just a few short blocks from Waikiki. I think most who post all this crap have never been here to see first hand (I can hear it now coming back at me) There are several areas on the island with older homes and no tourist activities. If you think our part of the island is the only older area then you have either never left the touristy areas. Or, you do alot of reading on the internet and think what you read is the gospel. Oh did I happen to mention that I am also a haole? I have lived here for a few years now and would not want to move to the city. And you know what? I have never had any trouble with anyone since arriving here. I have said it before on here if you treat people as you want to be treated, show respect for the people and the land, talk to people, smile, open the door at the store for someone else other than yourself, and show some common sense, and courtesy there is not a better place on the Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
I own a unit in the Makaha Valley Plantation that I stay in whenever I can get to the island. When we are not there, friends and relatives stay in it.

Everyone who has been there says how wonderful the area is and how friendly the people are. They also say that they would never want to stay in the concrete jungle again.

Makaha has got to be the best kept secret on the Hawaiian Islands!

Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 AM

4 posts, read 26,946 times
LOVE MAKAHA!!!!! Just came back from vacation at a beach house in Makaha. UNBELIEVABLE! The house was right on the beach. We got to swim every day and lay on the beach. Not your usual touristy beach. What a vacation. We did not see one homeless tent all the way to the vacation house. Hear the city had them removed probably because Disney's development is almost done. Massive time share project. People who believe the outdated information that Makaha has a homeless population are really missing out. The people in the town were the friendliest people we met on this trip. Can't wait to come back. Will definitely pick Makaha as our home away from home again.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 AM

Visitor, I cant rep you again, but you are right there is nothing wrong with this side of the island. True it is older and not built up fancy to attract the typical tourist. But, once you come out here you will see that its not what you read on the forums and trip adviser etc... This is Hawaii!! Thank you again for ringing in with your views.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 66,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
If you are fine living in an area with a much higher than average density of non-educated, lazy, welfare receipients, that generally breed like rabbits, you will be fine. I for one cannot handle these types of people so I stay as far away as possible.

Wait, Are we talking about Tonitown, Arkansas and the Duggar family with their 20 children?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,469 times
Can anyone tell me of the Kaukamana Street area of Maili Beach, as far as a relocation destination??

Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,469 times
Aloha, Can you tell me anything about the Kaukamana area of Maili Beach.I am looking to semi retire there, and love the area.Thank you for any info that you may be able to pass to me.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Strongly recommend you check it out in person. One person's idea of a safe neighborhood may not be the same as yours.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
I grew up in Makaha, went to Makaha Elementary School, attended and graduated from Waianae High School and never had any trouble. I used to hitch hike every where I went, and again,never had any trouble. I am not Hawaiian, but African American. I heard stories of "haoles-white people" having trouble but if you were friendly and did'nt act like you were better than anybody else you were fine. Makaha is a beautifu place to live as well as visit.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Cynthia, I agree with you completly. and for pj737, with your attutude I'm sure you dont like the area (if you have ever been here), and probably wouldnt receive a very warm welcome here anyway. Eureka1 you too, are correct. Makaha is not Kahala, nor would we want to be. To each his own. There are good points, as well as bad, in any area, any place. All in all it is a beautiful spot on this earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu