Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM

94 posts, read 318,919 times

Advertisements

Sorry for starting two threads in the same afternoon about things that get talked about a lot, but this one didn't turn up anything in search.

I was just curious if there was any seasonality to when rentals open up (esp in Honolulu). Where we are, there are always TONS of new rentals opening up for Aug 1 move-ins (and to a lesser extent, Jan 1) due to the schedule of the local university (major college town).

I'm just curious, since we would likely leave right around the end of July/beginning of August (since that's when our current lease ends and just before the girlfriend starts her grad school term). It is completely useless to look for places right now since the latest move-ins are April right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 PM

13 posts, read 40,325 times
I've rented 3 different places in the last 5 years. I always found that most places were advertised a month before becoming available or were ready to have someone move in. It was kind of a waste to look for a place earlier than that.

I think a better strategy would be to find a month to month rental when you first move out here and take you time finding a more permanent place.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteefoster View Post
I was just curious if there was any seasonality to when rentals open up (esp in Honolulu). Where we are, there are always TONS of new rentals opening up for Aug 1 move-ins (and to a lesser extent, Jan 1) due to the schedule of the local university (major college town).
I think it may depend on just where you are on the island. If near a military base (Kaneohe, Kailua, Foster Village, Salt Lake, Aiea, Pearl City, Wahiawa)there will probably be some seasonality because the military usually issues PCS (Permanent Change of Station) orders so that families can move during the summer, when the kids are out of school.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Can't speak to Oahu, but in general I would agree that securing an August rental right now would be unlikely.

Still, it doesn't hurt to look around, and to call and ask questions. You will learn from your inquiries, about what is covered by rent, how the landlords respond, they questions they ask, etc.

You'll also become more familiar with the locations. Check out rentals now, including prices, then drop into Google and look at the Street View to see what that buys. If you see something of great interest, come back and ask about that area on this board.

Having a few extra months to get oriented will be very valuable to you. Much better than waiting until the last minute, and then ending up somewhere you don't like.

I also agree that taking a short term lease is better, until you figure out where you really want to live. Once you have relocated, and lived on the island for a few months, it will become more apparent where you want to be. Not just for neighborhood, but traffic patterns, recreation access, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu