Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 AM

67 posts, read 257,022 times

Advertisements

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,657,132 times
Compared to what? The neighborhood libraries vary but the Hawaii State Library downtown is not only well-stocked but a beautiful place to just relax with a book.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,447,474 times
The best part of the library system is that you can get books from any of the libraries. So if you need a book that is only in a library on another island, you can request to have it shipped to your home library, free of charge. I'm sure that that is more beneficial for those of us on neighbor islands, versus those who van go to the HSL.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:50 PM

2,265 posts, read 4,098,332 times
Do not forget that you are also able to download books/music to your computer and/or IPODS or MP3 players or portable readers. It makes it very easy to keep up with the elctronic age.

You can also reserve the newest books (non-electronic) and pick them up from the nearest branch.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:00 PM

682 posts, read 2,786,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
The best part of the library system is that you can get books from any of the libraries. So if you need a book that is only in a library on another island, you can request to have it shipped to your home library, free of charge. I'm sure that that is more beneficial for those of us on neighbor islands, versus those who van go to the HSL.
You can also return to any library. So we borrowed "Maui Revealed" from our local library, as well as a couple of books to read on our trip. As we finished the books, we dropped them at local Maui libraries to lighten our load!

I love the Hawaii State Library. I can walk there from my house, and I often spend hours there working or reading... beautiful courtyard.

I have always found books I wanted, between the UH system and the Hawaii public libraries, though there is sometimes a wait for popular books or ones shipped from other islands.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quality"... selection? (decent) staff helpfulness? (great, but decreasing because of budget cuts... I've never seen the line so long as last time I went in) facilities? (mostly older buildings... some are being revamped like Manoa, but I think the libraries are being hard-hit by the state budget crisis), hours? (not great thanks to recent cuts, but it's nice that on Oahu at least the "closed day" rotates, so that some library is open every day... and none of them is that far away since it's a small island), computer facilities? (decent, but at least in the libraries I go to they are well-used and there can be a wait... I usually bring my laptop).

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:25 PM

67 posts, read 257,022 times
Thanks, that helps. Some of the local libraries where I live are filled with homeless people. Is the same true in Hawaii?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:20 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,877,314 times
Why would they want to live in a library when it is so much nicer outside?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 PM

682 posts, read 2,786,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybarnes View Post
Thanks, that helps. Some of the local libraries where I live are filled with homeless people. Is the same true in Hawaii?
"filled with" is an overstatement, but you will certainly see homeless folks there using the computers.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:10 AM

1,689 posts, read 4,286,477 times
The homeless that bother to go to the library are harmless. All the libraries are good quality IMO, updated and offer great services (going to the main Honolulu Library is a treat).

In Kailua there is not a visible homeless problem as other parts of the island.

Aren't you starting a plumbing job?

Old 04-10-2010, 04:01 AM

150 posts, read 414,496 times
Kihei Lib in Maui is fine, staff overworked but still helpful. Grounds could use some help - budget cuts I'm sure effect stuff like that. As far as homeless goes, I noticed signs in the bathroom prohibiting anyone from using the public library bathrooms for washing up or changing or washing clothes so I'm guessing it has been a problem, although I've never encountered anybody doing those things there. Libraries, like the schools, are assigned furlough days where they are closed, and employees forced to take a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu