Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM

67 posts, read 257,853 times

Advertisements

Hi - what can you tell me about working in this building? I have heard that the dress code is often more relaxed in Hawaii, even for white collar workers, but is the same true for the people who work in the federal building? Are the lawyers wearing traditional suits in court? Do the people who work there seem stressed and busy (i.e., like at a mainland federal building?) My guess is yes to both questions. Just trying to get a sense of if/how much the more laid back culture in Hawaii spills over to those working in this building.

Also, what types of things are close to this building? Any good restaurants or shopping within walking distance, or do you have to drive somewhere for lunch? I've looked at the google street view but couldn't get a good sense of what's around. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:44 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It's smack dab in the center of Honolulu with a zillion restaurants nearby with all the shops downtown, too.

About the only folks who wear a tie in Hawaii are the Mormon missionaries on their bicycles. Or visiting mainland business people. I'm not sure what lawyers in court wear, I don't go to court. The judge wears a robe, though. The financial men folks usually wear an aloha shirt with long slacks and shoes to work. Bank managers, clerks, etc., pretty much have that as their uniform.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Yes,lawyers wear suits to court. You seem to be focused on the building rather than on what you would DO in the building. Unless you're a food service worker in the cafeteria or a janitor working for a contractor you need to be hired by the Federal government. Go to USAJOBS website and see what they have.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:42 PM

I know that lawyers wear suits to court. I am asking if attorneys working in this building also have to wear suits, or if they are more casual.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-19-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 04:43 PM

I am also not seeking employment advice, just info about the dress code in this building, particularly for lawyers and other white collar professionals.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybarnes View Post
I know that lawyers wear suits to court, I am not an idiot. I am asking if attorneys working in this building also have to wear suits, or if they are more casual.
In your original post you ASKED if lawyers wore "traditional" suits in court. Good luck to you.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:34 PM

No, I asked what lawyers and other white collar professionals wear IN THIS BUILDING. The dress code for these people (particularly those in court) may or may not be more relaxed IN THE FEDERAL BUILDING IN HONOLULU.

Looks like you are from Eureka, CA and do not have any specific knowledge/information about THIS BUILDING.

I am interested in hearing from people who work/live in Honolulu and know about this. Thank you.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:44 PM

46 posts, read 141,134 times
May I ask what is "federal building"?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,152 times
Quote:
No, I asked what lawyers and other white collar professionals wear IN THIS BUILDING. The dress code for these people (particularly those in court) may or may not be more relaxed IN THE FEDERAL BUILDING IN HONOLULU.
Dude, here's your original post.

Quote:
Hi - what can you tell me about working in this building? I have heard that the dress code is often more relaxed in Hawaii, even for white collar workers, but is the same true for the people who work in the federal building? Are the lawyers wearing traditional suits in court? ...
Yes, you did ask that question. So stop yelling at people who answer questions that you ask.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Binky, it appears that you may already have a job in the federal building (or are thinking of applying for one) and you are wondering about dress codes. If that is the question, then one suggestion would be to contact the administrative office of the department that you are going to be working for (or considering working for) and asking them. I would think that a secretary or administrative person would be happy to answer these kinds of questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: