Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 AM

94 posts, read 318,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Maybe things are a lot more laid back in Honolulu than here in soCal, but the last thing that I would suggest to a cyclist is to "assert themselves as vehicles." Law or not, it would be a death wish here.

Most places it is illegal to ride on a public sidewalk, but it may be better to take your chances with the police than with a motor vehicle, given the distracted nature of many drivers.
Refer back to "Riding a bike in any city is scary for the uninitiated..."

I guarantee you, there are plenty of people that ride their bikes in the street in southern California.

The problem with hugging the curb or riding on the sidewalk is that drivers are not looking for you there. That's where you're going to get hit by a careless driver making a turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
So hows that Much Needed Rail Project going? I haven't heard form my Oahu friend in a while.....and was wondering how it was going.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
I am moving to Honolulu for a couple months to do a clinical rotation at Tripler and wanted to use a 50cc moped as my mode of transportation. Is this possible? Any opinions..

Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
I've never seen a more pokey, laid back city as far as driving goes. It was the easiest city I wasn't familiar with to figure out and get around in. The people drive very slooowly too. I remember driving a rental car with friends coming back to Honolulu from the North Shore. The maximum speed on the freeway is 55 MPH and after about 15 miles of it I kind of flipped out, said "I can't take it anymore!" and sped up to 70 for the rest of the drive. Fortunately no speeding ticket.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
i have a rule where i can walk to work if need be and i try to stay in a 2 mile radius from work

Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM

75 posts, read 226,056 times
No car necessary in HNL. But that is not to say that Oahu isn't car-centric, because it is. But when I lived near downtown I left my car at a friend's on windward side. The bus is actually really cool - I always dig taking it. There are times now when I take the bus to the airport for a flight out, just because it's such a breeze, even from Kaneohe.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:56 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
A moped to Tripler would work if you lived close enough but it would all depend on how far your commute was. Mopeds are not allowed on the highways and there are a lot of places they aren't allowed to park and there is a huge theft problem with mopeds. Not only lock them to something they can't be lifted off of, but use a big sturdy lock, too. Occasionally, you will see a moped or bicycle wheel locked to a post.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Wink just an fyi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
thanks for the quick response. i just read a few minutes ago Hono has a great bus system. good to know. thanks again man.
'HNL' is the accepted abbreviation for Honolulu...thought it might help.
Koale

Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Just so you know, "hono" in Hawaiian can mean stinky. Maybe you'll want to use the full city name if speaking it out loud to someone here.
That's interesting - 'Hono' = stinky.

I've never been a fan of abbreviating cities anyways....but it's interesting that I haven't noted any Honolulu abbreviation before either.

(Note: Not including airport codes like 'HNL' which generally aren't spoken anyways).

Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

(Note: Not including airport codes like 'HNL' which generally aren't spoken anyways).
Actually, they are spoken. I'm in aviation and am also a pilot (although not current) - most people in the aviation industry refer to cities by their airport codes. For instance, I'm going to Colorado Springs this summer, but I don't call it that... I call it COS (see-oh-ess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: