U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,118 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Honolulu next month to a great job (federal). My moving costs are paid for, but I have a question. I have 2 cars and plan on selling them both (2000 Jetta & 2002 Ford Focus) before I get there. Should I buy a new car here or wait till I get to Honolulu?

I am looking at buying a new minivan or SUV. Just afraid I won't find much of a selection in Hawaii.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,642,442 times
If you ship, use Pasha. They put the cars INSIDE a ship that's made for transporting cars. Matson (I think) puts some cars on deck, with no protection. One of my coworkers shipped his truck with them and it was rusted by the time it got to Maui

Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of dealers on Oahu though. I don't think you'll have trouble finding a vehicle.

Also, you'd probably want to buy a vehicle you can have serviced properly there anyway, so less selection may not be a bad thing. Better to contribute to the Hawaii economy also... $20k or whatever spent on a little island or small town actually affects the economy

Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,270,741 times
I just finished shipping 2 cars on Matson was covered and no rust. Only took 2 weeks from Long Beach to Hilo I canʻt see a car rust in that time unless it already had rust. All the shippers are the same price unless you know someone that can get you a disc. (I found one) but it will save you only $100 bucks

Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,858,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If you ship, use Pasha. They put the cars INSIDE a ship that's made for transporting cars. Matson (I think) puts some cars on deck, with no protection. One of my coworkers shipped his truck with them and it was rusted by the time it got to Maui
Your coworker is pulling your leg. Even if on the deck for the less than 7 day trip, it wont rust that quick. This is a common tale, repeated over and over again.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 PM

3,753 posts, read 10,339,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix to Hawaii View Post
I am moving to Honolulu next month to a great job (federal). My moving costs are paid for, but I have a question. I have 2 cars and plan on selling them both (2000 Jetta & 2002 Ford Focus) before I get there. Should I buy a new car here or wait till I get to Honolulu?

I am looking at buying a new minivan or SUV. Just afraid I won't find much of a selection in Hawaii.

Wait until you get there before buying new. Otherwise, you will essentially pay double taxes due to the laws here.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,118 times
Thanks everyone! Great advice.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Your coworker is pulling your leg. Even if on the deck for the less than 7 day trip, it wont rust that quick. This is a common tale, repeated over and over again.
It was probably on docks for a while in California, then waiting on Oahu for the transfer to Maui

Old 05-09-2010, 06:30 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,270,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It was probably on docks for a while in California, then waiting on Oahu for the transfer to Maui

Understanding it was on the docks according to Matsons schedule if you turn in your car on Monday thru wed it will go out on Fri. boat if you turn in in on Thurs. to Sat it will go out on the next Fri so the max time it sits in port is 8 days. Now back to my and Pacificʻs statement a car cant rust in that time span. Unless that said car was already infested with rust. I donʻt want to make you look bad but as Pacific says a urban myth.

Now back the the news of what should I do sell me cars by here or buy in Hawaii? Hawaii has a tax on autos purchased on the mainland in a year of moving to Hawaii I donʻt know if this is ew only or with used cars. I would go online and see whar the prices of the cars I own now to see if its worth shipping them . You would know what their worth as to if you need to replace the motor or not miles ect. compare costs then look at what you want to buy in Hawaii.

Good luck and welcome to Hawaii
Koa

Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

102 posts, read 117,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix to Hawaii View Post

I checked recently on a Tundra Pickup and it was just a little over a Grand to ship it. Seems like a bargain compared to selling, and buying anew, with new car premium, sales tax etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu