Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 23,040 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, Gainesville isn't a bad place, but it isn't for me. I'm not young, not a college student, not into the bar scene or the arts. I don't have a car, so most of the really nice places are out of reach for me. I'm just totally surprised at how airheaded some of the people are. I tried to get involved in some groups, but when I would ask them where something was, their response was "I don't know the address, it's on campus near [the bat houses or whatever]," like you are supposed to just KNOW where everything is. Plus, rents in decent neighborhoods are NOT that cheap, and I don't feel safe riding the bus at night where I live, so I'm pretty much restricted to doing everything during daylight hours.

I'm saving for a car, but even when I do get one, I'm moving somewhere else. I made a huge mistake coming here. I thought the student atmosphere would be great and energetic, but they don't want to even talk to you if you're over 25. Their loss. I remember what that was like, though, so I don't fault them.

Anyway, Gainesville is great for what it is, but it isn't for me. I find everyone here sort of wrapped up in their own world and totally non-cognizant that anyone else has needs. All these people want me to do things with them, but the minute I mention I don't have a car, they just ignore me. I thought it would be different, since so many people ride bikes and use public transportation, but I was wrong. I'm shut out of everything good because it happens at night and I don't have transportation.

I'm going back to where old people predominate, because at least they are generous with offering you rides or help if you need it, and a lot of the activities happen during the day as they don't like driving at night.

O.K., rant over. Like I said, Gainesville is not a bad place, just not my place. I've wasted several thousand dollars and what will be a year of my life moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,115,158 times
Gainesville is not a bad place, it seems as if you havent hit the right group of friends....

I know lots of people in gainesville who would help you out..

I hope you meet some new people soon.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,870,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debinflorida View Post
I find everyone here sort of wrapped up in their own world and totally non-cognizant that anyone else has needs.
Aw, you are making me kind of homesick.

It is nice to see that Gainesville hasn't changed since I left in 1972.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM

6,394 posts, read 10,193,446 times
Wow, you felt it necessary to comment on a 2 year old post ??

Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 AM

18 posts, read 45,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Wow, you felt it necessary to comment on a 2 year old post ??
Perhaps it is because our Ocala forum does not get new posts very often. Personally, I would like to see more going on at CD for our town.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,115,158 times
The ocala forums used to be extremely active with people flooding into marion county, sumter county and the villages etc..

But over the last few years people learned that ocala is just not that great of a town..

I mean its got retail and plenty of restaurants, but its devoid of a decent college, or economic engine.,..

its just like there..

Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM

18 posts, read 45,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
The ocala forums used to be extremely active with people flooding into marion county, sumter county and the villages etc..

But over the last few years people learned that ocala is just not that great of a town..

I mean its got retail and plenty of restaurants, but its devoid of a decent college, or economic engine.,..

its just like there..
I think there are plenty of ways to make a good living here, but you are limited on the skill sets that can earn a respectable wage. We can thank our commisioners for that. I also think that Ocala is way too full of people who blame others for not bettering their own personal life, then insult our town as if it is Ocala's fault.

In the long run, Ocala is still a small town (many of us like that), and if we bring in too much we lose that small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala