U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM

385 posts, read 450,002 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Tampa, and where I lived before was very close to the mountainous part of Sumpter National Forest in South Carolina.

I recently visited the Lake Eaton area of Ocala National Forest for hiking. I was wondering what else is in the forest. Driving through, my first impression was that Ocala NF is quite large! I miss being so close to hiking, and I was wondering what some of the highlights of Ocala National Forest might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 AM

23,443 posts, read 17,985,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I recently moved to Tampa, and where I lived before was very close to the mountainous part of Sumpter National Forest in South Carolina.

I recently visited the Lake Eaton area of Ocala National Forest for hiking. I was wondering what else is in the forest. Driving through, my first impression was that Ocala NF is quite large! I miss being so close to hiking, and I was wondering what some of the highlights of Ocala National Forest might be.
Ocala National Forest - Home

Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 36,019 times
Lots of beautiful 1st magnitude springs. Also nice canoe runs from said springs, with wilderness camping along the way. Some sketchy people live in scattered communities in the OF I would be very reserved when encountering strangers esp ones that don't appear to be campers or day use people. There have been many murders in the forest area, and missing people that never show back up, aren't that rare either. Google murders in the OF, you will be surprised. Oh, almost forgot, many, many, meth labs also, lots of which are hidden in wooded areas....be careful, cell reception is poor to non-existent in much of this area.. I have lived in this area for 35 yrs...

Last edited by jmickty; 02-26-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmickty View Post
Lots of beautiful 1st magnitude springs. Also nice canoe runs from said springs, with wilderness camping along the way. Some sketchy people live in scattered communities in the OF I would be very reserved when encountering strangers esp ones that don't appear to be campers or day use people. There have been many murders in the forest area, and missing people that never show back up, aren't that rare either. Google murders in the OF, you will be surprised. Oh, almost forgot, many, many, meth labs also, lots of which are hidden in wooded areas....be careful, cell reception is poor to non-existent in much of this area.. I have lived in this area for 35 yrs...
Said murders are very rarely committed by folks that live in the Forest, sketchy people live everywhere.
I must live in a different Forest than you.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM

6,632 posts, read 5,401,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I would bypass this NF until the "hippie" squatters and Rainbow issue is cleared up. It's a huge forest. Keeping in mind neither group may be involved with the missing man.

The highlights right now are squatters, the Rainbow People and the missing 26 year old man who biked in, let his parents know he met some people.... and was never seen or heard from again.

Perhaps FL should send in the National Guard and clean the forest out.... I'm almost serious about this.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I would bypass this NF until the "hippie" squatters and Rainbow issue is cleared up. It's a huge forest.

The highlights right now are squatters, the Rainbow People and a missing 26 year old man who biked in, let his parents know he met some people.... and was never seen or heard from again.

Perhaps FL should send in the National Guard and clean the forest out.
The Rainbows are leaving next week.
The meeting this year was in Lake County.....plenty of Forest in Marion County thats just fine.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmickty View Post
..... Some sketchy people live in scattered communities in the OF I would be very reserved when encountering strangers esp ones that don't appear to be campers or day use people. There have been many murders in the forest area, and missing people that never show back up, aren't that rare either..........
Anyone can start here:

Kidnapping, Murder and Mayhem: The Dark Forest

Going in in armed groups (hunters, those who carry) is probably safe as would be staying where many other people congregate such as campers and those there for the day. As for myself and my husband, we'll avoid the ONF.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The Rainbows are leaving next week.
The meeting this year was in Lake County.....plenty of Forest in Marion County thats just fine.
It's more the squatters with nothing to lose that I would be worried about. And how can one tell where they are in the Forest? Or how many groups of them there are? How could anyone know which parts of the forest are safe and which aren't? Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone can start here:

Kidnapping, Murder and Mayhem: The Dark Forest

Going in in armed groups (hunters, those who carry) is probably safe as would be staying where many other people congregate such as campers and those there for the day. As for myself and my husband, we'll avoid the ONF.
Quote:
It's more the squatters with nothing to lose that I would be worried about. And how can one tell where they are in the Forest? Or how many groups of them there are? How could anyone know which parts of the forest are safe and which aren't? Better safe than sorry.
Good Lord, have you even ever been to the Forest?
I live in it.
So do LOTS of people.
Stop with the misinformation, which is a blog.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:21 PM

15 posts, read 36,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Good Lord, have you even ever been to the Forest?
I live in it.
So do LOTS of people.
Stop with the misinformation, which is a blog.
Like I posted, I've lived 1 mile S of the forest for 35 yrs. No need to get your panties in a twist. I know all about this area and about the low life people that use these woods to hide out. If you don't you should educate yourself. I will agree it's a beautiful area and lots of good people live here, BUT there are a lot of people with nothing to lose there also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala