U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,986 times

Advertisements

My 26 year old son, Doug York started on a cross country bicycle ride from Kissamee 14 days ago. He rides between 50 and 150 miles a day and is great shape. He agreed to check in with his mom or myself daily. 12 days ago he told mom he was in the ocala national forest and had chopped wood for some folks who lived there in exchange for food and shelter for the night. He said his phone was almost dead, he would charge it the next evening and call so we could track his progress. It has now been 12 days, no contact. His phone has not been used since.
He is 6.1 200 pounds. Lots of tattoos, brown eyes shaved head. We have contacted the local police and highway patrol who havent really helped, just took reports. If anyone knows anything, please, please let me know. yave1964@aol.com Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 AM

6,632 posts, read 5,406,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
We have contacted the local police and highway patrol who havent really helped, just took reports. If anyone knows anything, please, please let me know. yave1964@aol.com Thank you.
Keep after the Police. When adults vanish they don't seem too concerned. They like to assume the person doesn't care to be found. Keep calling them!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 AM

79 posts, read 100,672 times
Do you have any idea as to his possible route or any of the areas that he planned to visit on his ride? Also what is the description of his bicycle such as Brand, Model, Color and type of gear Standard Backpack or more of the Military ALICE System?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM

2,173 posts, read 1,144,165 times
I emailed the OP to find out if his son is still missing. It does not look good. Here is his reply:

Quote:
No, as of today it is 26 days since my son dissapeared. He has been living in Kissimee florida, in great shape, rides his bicycle 50 to 150 miles per day, He had taken time off from both of his jobs and sat out on a cross country bike ride with the ultimate goal of reaching California then flying home. Previously he had done six to eight hundred mile bike rides and this is one he had planned and trained for for about a year. I live in Ohio, his Mom lives in Wisconsin. Though divorced and remarried, we remain close and are best friends with our love for our children in common. Doug promised to report in daily to his mom or I so we could check his progress. doug left with close to 2 thousand dollars in his pocket plus misc. gift cards. He was actually hauling a small trailor behind his cross country bike.
Day one, that evening, doug called his Mom, told he he had put on just under 100 miles and was in the Ocala national forest. He told her he had met some folks living in the forest, and that he had chopped firewood for them for over an hour in exchange for a warm meal and a place to sleep for the evening. He told Mom his cell phone was almost dead, he would charge it the next day and call Dad (me) the next night to track his progress. We have never heard from him again. Mom checked his cell phone records, it has not been used since. We have contacted every friend of his in the Kissinee and Orlando area, nobody has heard from him.
We have filed a report with the marion county police, with the park rangers. A BOLO (be on the lookout) has been issued statewide. The highway patrol for five states (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas) has been notified and copies of his license has been sent to all highway patrol stations in those states. I have had him all over the newspapers as well as two television stations. I have daily contact with the police. A citizen group has put out over 500 flyers for us. The rainbow group, a hippie group took over the Ocala forest about a week after Doug went missing, the Rangers and police dropped off hundreds of missing flyers in the forest with the group. Officers have been speculating that Doug is hanging out with the hippie groups smoking dope somewhere in the woods, but that is not my son. He has done his share of partying, but is all business when on these bike rides. Other officers said that the Ocala forest is full of dangerous squatters who have a history of violence and robbery. We are frightened, it has been just under a month, if you can post this anywhere you feel is appropriate I would apreciate it.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM

3,730 posts, read 8,181,101 times
Thx for the update, had been hoping for better news. It kind of reminds me of the FL firefighter who went to Bangor, ME and has been missing for a week, am hoping there's a break in that case too, here's hoping they're both found safe but it's discouraging and I feel for their families.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM

235 posts, read 422,181 times
Yave, I feel for your family and am praying that your son is found safe and sound. I no longer live in the Ocala area but wish I could do something for you

Cruzincat, thanks for the update.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM

5,875 posts, read 6,156,037 times
So sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 PM

6,632 posts, read 5,406,995 times
How awful. My heart goes out to the parents of the missing young man. I admit it doesn't sound good.

I think we'll avoid the Ocala Forest from now on. We were there twice, two years apart, and I didn't feel comfortable the second time for some reason. I can well believe squatters with ill intent are living there. I was glad to get back to the main road.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:20 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How awful. My heart goes out to the parents of the missing young man. I admit it doesn't sound good.

I think we'll avoid the Ocala Forest from now on. We were there twice, two years apart, and I didn't feel comfortable the second time for some reason. I can well believe squatters with ill intent are living there. I was glad to get back to the main road.
This is awful, but he never made it out of there.

Sounds like he was too trusting, people who are living in the woods have nothing to lose.

Very sad.

Last edited by seain dublin; 02-25-2012 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM

36 posts, read 41,212 times
I just called someone asking about hippies in Ocala. She said the ones there are not even considered part of rainbow groups. She said even knowledgeable hippies have gone missing at that forest. I've never visited Ocala, it sounds really shady..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala