Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 15,712 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are thinking about moving to Belleview FL from Okeechobee FL. Considering moving from this state if we cannot find better pay here. I'm a Florida Native, hubby has been here about 20 years,. This place is horrifying us with all the Mc Mansions popping up. Rent is outrageous (read not affordable for us) so hubby works on a commercial dairy in maintenance where the home is furnished...not our idea of the life we want for ourselves, the pay is enough to survive, period.
I would like to email anyone from Belleview and see just what all is in that area. Someone talked to my husband this morning about possible jobs coming up there around the first of the year.
Checking out Alabama as well (Anniston area).
Thanks for any responses.
Happycatster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 09:48 PM

11 posts, read 96,416 times
Belleview as in the tiny town outside Pensacola?

Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Yes PCCGirl thats right. That tiny town. I looked it up and it looks smaller than Okeechobee, and seems like it's even worse off economically than we are here...is that possible????

Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM

11 posts, read 96,416 times
Well let's put it this way. I lived in Belleview for four months and didn't even know that I wasn't in Pensacola. I had a P-cola address even thought it wasn't P-cola. I don't know why. Anyway... Pensacoal/Escambia County is for the most part a very poor area. There is Gulf Breeze and the the coastal region that brings in tourists but MOST of the population of the county is low income. My husband and I made $7 and $8 and hour respectively and we were probably considered to be doing better than average around there (we were still in college, actually and working full time at the same time). It's a big college area, I think there are five or six big schools plus the navy base so the area is really full of people who aren't really from there. I lived in the area for five years and never once met someone who was born there... it's like a stopping over place.

Jobs are hard to come by there. I worked at a temp agency and my husband worked at Wal-mart. Even after we had college degrees, taht was the best we could find.

But you can't beat those beaches. That's what kept me there so long!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,507 times
Unhappy Working and Living in Okeechobee, FL

I am originally from NY and I had a shock when I moved to Okeechobee. My family and I had trouble finding a home to live in. I was shocked to find out that the only good paying jobs are in Eckerds, but they don't pay well. Not much value is placed on Education in this area. Instead, there is more value placed on Rodeos, drinking, and partying. I have seen more concerns in the schools for pushing students towards agriculture activities, then towards music, art, and dance. Money in the schools goes for taking students to agriculture opportunities, then supporting their band to go to Disney. Less values are placed on providing healthy lifestyles for the students. They aren't required to take Gym in the school, I find this sad. Moving here has hindered my appreciation of what this area has to offer. I wish this area would be more open to growth and give people open arms of sweetness. If this happened, then we will more families and open more doors to keeping prices from rising.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:01 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Ha, I thought you meant the Belleview in Marion County. Marion County's pretty nice... if you don't mind The Villages directly beneath us.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Ha, I thought you meant the Belleview in Marion County. Marion County's pretty nice... if you don't mind The Villages directly beneath us.
eeeeewwwwwww, Gods waiting room!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:43 PM

We decided not to move from Okeechobee after all. Okeechobee seems to be doing okay, jobs are still scarce, but it's a pleasant place to live. I have noticed that the churches are banding together in praying for the whole town, especially for the young people. I'd like to be around to see good things happen in Okeechobee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala