Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM

600 posts, read 754,115 times

Advertisements

Would I have to go to the courthouse and buy it there? Do I have to pay cash? What about if I have a pre-approved loan? Any details would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
You do not go to a courthouse to buy unless it is a bank auction. You need to contact a local realtor to put in a contract offer and would get a pre-approval letter from your bank or a certified proof of funds to accompany. Foreclosures and short sales are not the same as an auction. I have never seen a foreclosure or short sale that was not listed with a licensed realtor.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM

600 posts, read 754,115 times
What about buying a preforeclosure? What is the process for that? I was thinking of maybe also looking into preforeclosures as another option.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM

A preforeclosure is a short sale and the process is the same and so is the advice.

In a foreclosure, the seller is not involved and the home is owned by the bank/lender.

In a short sale both the homeowner and the bank/lender agree to sell the home for less than what is owed and both must approve the sale.

In an auction, the home is sold without any guarantees and liens may remain on a property. There may not be clear title on the home. Buying at auction is buyer beware.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 AM

29 posts, read 173,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Would I have to go to the courthouse and buy it there? Do I have to pay cash? What about if I have a pre-approved loan? Any details would be helpful.
I purchased 2 foreclosures in the Ocala area over the last 2 years. You pretty much need to have cash, The banks selling the foreclosures do not usually want to deal with a loan. By cash I mean, you could take a Home equity loan on the house you live in now, deposit it and bring a letter showing funds available. That's how I got started with my first house in Ocala. I have a very good realtor I have dealt with before, and I would scout the ads every day looking for new listings. They do go quick. Both foreclosures I bought I was either first to inquire about the house or I was in the right place at the right time. I cannot stress this enough, you need to develop a relationship with a realtor you can trust. The house I bought last year, I saw the listing on realtor .com the day it came out and I had him check out the house and send me pics (I'm 1000 miles away). He is good for picking out issues and he is honest. I made an offer based on his information, but I did get down to see the house before I signed my name to a sales agreement. That way, if I didn't like it, worst case I'm only out $500. Many people would not take a chance like that, but if you want to play when you are so far away like I am, that's the way you have to do it.
I also bought a short sale just a few months ago. The process did take 3 months, but I was in no hurry. Again, My realtor showed me the house while I happened to be in Ocala, it had just went up for sale. Right place, right time again. Watch the market, the prices are rising in the area. I think the prices bottomed out last winter, at least it seems that way to me.
I;m sure there are other ways of buying foreclosures before they are listed, but this way worked for me. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Foreclosures do not require cash to purchase. I recently closed on a foreclosure who got financing from the same bank that was selling the house. You do need a pre-approval letter from a bank or proof of funds.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 AM

29 posts, read 173,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Foreclosures do not require cash to purchase. I recently closed on a foreclosure who got financing from the same bank that was selling the house. You do need a pre-approval letter from a bank or proof of funds.
That may be the case, but I have seen a few offers refused because they involved a loan. In one case the house was sold for slightly less to a cash buyer.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 AM

bigtone, we will have to disagree on this one.

As a realtor, I have a little more experience in the matter and stand by my statements. I have never heard of a foreclosure refused because the buyer obtained lender-financing. It all comes down to whether financing can be obtained and not whether it is "cash" or "financed". Granted, the lenders are making it difficult to get financing approval for many potential home buyers.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
I was refused in several situations because they wanted cash.
Who can blame them?

Last edited by cfbs2691; 10-22-2012 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 AM

The only reason I can think that cash would be demanded over a loan is that a cash purchase can be closed in under 30 days vs a financed purchase which takes at least 30 days (on average).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: