U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 AM

14,441 posts, read 16,350,238 times

Advertisements

I'm coming(2 adults) to the Ocala/Gainsville area for a 3-4 day visit within the next month.

I like old Florida, nature, florida history, horse farms, scenic views. We'll be driving and don't have to stay in those towns only(can go 75 miles away as needed)

Would like to visit a thoroughbred horse farm but don't know how to go about arranging a visit. Does anyone have a recomendation. Even a recomendation for scenic roads that you can drive.

Already plan to go to the FL Natural History Museum in Gainesville.

Would like to maybe visit a spring for a hike. Would love to go to some Olde Florida type restaurants or overall neat restaurants. Also some waterfront towns that are neat to see.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Even hotel or Inn suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM

3,123 posts, read 5,765,351 times
You might like to visit Dunnellon.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM

392 posts, read 440,162 times
The Florida Carriage Museum | The Grand Oaks Resort Florida Carriage Museum in Weirsdale (just outside Ocala), a private collection of 160+ carriages. It'll take you several hours.

Silver Springs: Explore the Park Silver Springs, home of the famous glass-bottom boats. Kind of expensive, but fun just the same.

Just up the street from Silver Springs is El Toreo Mexican restaurant if you're into Mexican food. They have a special each day at lunch or you can pick up a coupon book with discounts for food.

Calendar Ocala Equestrian Complex events in November. Usually free to get in.

Florida Horse Park in Ocala, Florida > I'm a Visitor > Visitor Event Calendar Florida Horse Park events. Admission varies.

And you'll see Steak & Shake restaurants, 2 in Ocala and I know of at least 1 in Gainesville. Food is so-so, hamburgers and chicken strips, that sort of thing, but best milkshakes in the world, served with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Happy hour is between 2 & 4 P.M., shakes are half price.

There is a park in Dunnellon that costs a couple bucks to get in and has some hiking trails.

AMA - Appleton Museum of Art Appleton Museum of Art in Ocala, different events, admission varies.

You'll need more than a couple of days. If you were staying longer, you should go to St. Augustine where you'll need a couple days just for that town...neat, neat town. Daytona has a NASCAR racetrack, a free racing museum, and a big flea market on Saturday and Sunday. Oh, Ocala has 4 flea markets, all of which operate on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Have a fun and safe trip!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,667,541 times
Here are 2 old time FL restaurants thsat I would recommend highly;
The Yearling Restaurant - Cross Creek Florida's Fine Cracker Cuisine.

The other one doesnt have a website, its called Stumpknockers, it is on the Withlacoochie River on SR200 on the Marion/Citrus county line.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM

18 posts, read 95,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Here are 2 old time FL restaurants thsat I would recommend highly;
The Yearling Restaurant - Cross Creek Florida's Fine Cracker Cuisine.

The other one doesnt have a website, its called Stumpknockers, it is on the Withlacoochie River on SR200 on the Marion/Citrus county line.

StumpKnockers is awesome, well worth the visit

Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkharley View Post
StumpKnockers is awesome, well worth the visit
You bet it is!
I havent been out there in a while, they used to have a guy with an airboat there on the weekends that would take folks for a 15 minute ride on the Withlacoochie for $5 a head.
Well worth it, its a gorgeous river!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM

20 posts, read 44,344 times
Stumpknockers is a very neat place and the food is good too!

I don't know the name of the road (we call it the road to York) but between Ocala and Dunnellon there's a green and white sign pointing to York (I think it's 4 miles to York) - it is the prettiest road to look at horse farms.

You could visit Rainbow Springs and take a ride on the road to York.

Enjoy!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 AM

1,717 posts, read 2,508,780 times
I agree with Stumpknockers and Rainbow Springs...the head spring is gorgeous with the waterfalls and plantlife. There's Wild Bill's airboat tours on Hwy 44 right on the Withlachochee just east of Inverness. Hernando, FL where 200 and US 41 meet has a little public park that's quite scenic.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM

14,441 posts, read 16,350,238 times
Great suggestions and I will do plan on doing them. They are exactly what I had in mind. Thank you very much.

Does anyone know if any thoroughbred horse farms are open for tours?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Great suggestions and I will do plan on doing them. They are exactly what I had in mind. Thank you very much.

Does anyone know if any thoroughbred horse farms are open for tours?
Call the Florida Horse Park that someone put a link up for, they will be able to advise you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala