U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 38,481 times

Advertisements

We are actively looking to buy real estate in Alachua County and would like assistance, while respecting the rules of the forum. I don't want to write the wrong thing!
I've been researching all sorts of websites, and not having the greatest success (Gville MLS, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor, etc.)
We are out of state and do not have an agent.
Making monthly driving trips to research.
We are looking for a deal on 5-10 acres outside the Gainesville city limits.
Want to create a sustainable homestead and organic farm.
Do you have suggestions for how to proceed?
Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM

495 posts, read 2,038,851 times
I know of a parcel that will go on sale by March. It is 13 hilly acres near Micanopy, 4 miles from the I-75 exit. It has a small seasonal creek, two small year round ponds and is wooded by a lush hardwood hammock. There are 3 beautiful home sites with older Mobile homes on them. The MHs used to be rented for 500 a month but now are in disrepair and need a lot of work or demolition.It will be priced to sell.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM

Hey thanks for the reply!
please PM me with more info when you have it. Address would be great.
Micanopy area would be desirable.
We are doing most of our research online, looking at sat images, etc. to help decide what to see when we visit. We were just there over Christmas (looked at 20+ props but no love), so it will be a little while before we are back.
I never even had a real estate agent contact me through this post, which surprised me because i thought many RE people were on here.
Through my own research in google, I did find a Gville agent or two who could help with sending me MLS listings.
Sure appreciate your time!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM

73 posts, read 149,952 times
Would you be interested in buying Swamp land ?

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 PM

729 posts, read 1,253,573 times
Look at Gilchrist County. It is an agriculturally-driven county, and there is a strong support base, especially for those that want to meet USDA standards for organic farming.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49_Retired View Post
Would you be interested in buying Swamp land ?
no thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
Look at Gilchrist County. It is an agriculturally-driven county, and there is a strong support base, especially for those that want to meet USDA standards for organic farming.
Thanks for the idea about Gilchrist Co. We looked at a couple props past Newberry in Gilchrist. We'd like to be closer to Gville, but if that doesn't work out, Gilchrist ranks high.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 AM

729 posts, read 1,253,573 times
Once you're on the other side of Newberry you're pretty much there. My uncle raises organic chickens at his farm near Bell; I had no idea egg yolks could have such a vibrant shade of yellow. It's nice to be out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm a big city kind of guy

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM

73 posts, read 149,952 times
Gainesville = Young Families and College Kids.

If you don't fit the above, don't move there, because you will be miserable.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 AM

My husband and I are child free, and still 20 years til retirement age, and Gainesville/Alachua Co is very appealing to us.
Lots of outdoorsy activities within an easy drive.
Bike lanes and paths.
Natural foods stores and Trader Joes and farmers markets.
Independently owned restaurants that source local ingredients.
Culture...live music, free museums.
Lots of massage and yoga.
Non sprawl planning...no theme parks.
The only drawbacks for us are higher taxes, higher humidity, and more challenging income production.
Hope you found the perfect FL location for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or