U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
Default Considering a move to Ocala from Spring Hill

My daughter may be going to U of F in a year or so I am considering moving closer to Gainesville. Housing costs in Ocala seem to be pretty great now - especially in +55 communities. However - one thing I can not stand about Spring Hill are all the New Yorkers (no offense) here and their rude driving and personal space issues. Spring Hill, Florida is definitely not the south! Anywhoo -I don't want to leave the frying pan to end up in the fire. One thing I do like about Spring Hill is crime is relatively low. How does it stand in Ocala? What neighborhoods would you recommend I explore? I do like the idea of a retirement community but not a "God's Waiting Room" community that would be depressing. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM

6,627 posts, read 5,009,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyamerican View Post
I do like the idea of a retirement community but not a "God's Waiting Room" community that would be depressing. Thanks for any info!
What can you expect in a retirement community where everyone is over 55 and most are over 65, 70 yrs of age? They can all be called God's Waiting Rooms. People this age are prime for all manner of health problems. The Resort we spent 3 months in last winter saw 2 people pass away. Two people in 3 months. Those who are healthy usually join in the activities in the club houses. They remain active, but keep in mind, these are places for seniors and seniors are where you will find most illness, diseases and deaths.

If you find that kind of place depressing, you may be better off renting or buying outside the senior communities.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,473,687 times
The whole planet is "Gods waiting room". Death is a part of life. I don't like planned senior communities but there are seniors everywhere and there will definitely be a higher ratio for some time to come. BTW I had a serious health problem when I was in my forties and the older people in my neighborhood were the most helpful and encouraging.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM

38 posts, read 46,887 times
FYI, the east side of Ocala is less congested. We lived just off NE 7th Street for 7 years and loved it. Many of our neighbors are still there loving it. Our favorite benefit was living near Silver Springs Attraction and Silver Springs State Park. Parking/entering was fast & easy and an annual pass to the attraction allowed us to enjoy the shops, gardens, and animals whenever we wanted. They also had concerts and a special Christmas light show. The state park has miles and miles of nature trails and even cabins. If it were not for family responsibilities, we would still be there. Sure, Ocala has plenty of old folks (mainly on the West Side "SR 200"), but Gainesville is close and has enough young people to make you appreciate the elders.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM

40 posts, read 44,278 times
Hi,

May I cut in here and ask how much the cost might be for a studio apt. or a senior low income housing in Ocala on the peaceful East Side as in rent per month?
I would suppose in an area with close to bus line, and a swimming pool therein?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM

38 posts, read 46,887 times
Magnolia Trace on 14th Street is nothing fancy but it is clean with a pool. They list one bedrooms for $475 with move-in specials. Since you mentioned senior housing, you might want to consider Lady Lakes/Villages. In addition to the relatively expensive homes, there are inexpensive rentals in the area and many of the activities in the villages are free to everyone.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM

40 posts, read 44,278 times
Thanks fred, I am going to relay this info to an old buddy of mine who is living in Ocala. He might be familiar with it. I'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala