U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 PM
 
43 posts, read 131,503 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I posted this in the wrong forum, hope it's ok to repost here!

We are renting in Oak Run and in February plan to look for a home. It seems in our so far limited experience that the Oak Run population is aging. We are probably in the average age group here, but many of the activities seem to be hurting for members.

I heard that Top of the World has more young retirees with a lot of people joining in the activities and clubs. Can you tell us if there is some age spread in Top of the World or is it a large majority of young retirees? And am I wrong about the population of Oak Run being a large majority of older (70's to 80's) retirees?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
392 posts, read 438,472 times
Reputation: 1222
I own 2 houses in Pine Run, but looked in Oak Run and momentarily in OTOW before buying. Be prepared for the monthly HOA fees in OTOW...last year they were $392 a month, no matter whether you own a 1 bedroom apartment or a 4 bedroom house. And you still get to pay for golf. Oak Run's HOA fee last year was $104. I don't know what OTOW's fees went up to, but Pine Run's increased about $1 for 2013.

Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,828 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
I own 2 houses in Pine Run, but looked in Oak Run and momentarily in OTOW before buying. Be prepared for the monthly HOA fees in OTOW...last year they were $392 a month, no matter whether you own a 1 bedroom apartment or a 4 bedroom house. And you still get to pay for golf. Oak Run's HOA fee last year was $104. I don't know what OTOW's fees went up to, but Pine Run's increased about $1 for 2013.

Good luck in your search.
The fee depends on which OTOW community you live in. The 392 should be a community that maintains all outside items including painting the exterior, new roofs etc. You do have to do a little research on which community within OTOW you want. In some you lease the land and in other you own the land. In some you go to a central point for mail and to get rid of trash. In others mail is delivered and trash picked up at the curb. I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,828 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by marliz View Post
I posted this in the wrong forum, hope it's ok to repost here!

We are renting in Oak Run and in February plan to look for a home. It seems in our so far limited experience that the Oak Run population is aging. We are probably in the average age group here, but many of the activities seem to be hurting for members.

I heard that Top of the World has more young retirees with a lot of people joining in the activities and clubs. Can you tell us if there is some age spread in Top of the World or is it a large majority of young retirees? And am I wrong about the population of Oak Run being a large majority of older (70's to 80's) retirees?

Thanks!
Try the vacation getaway at any of the communities you are thinking about. If you can try renting. I only know OTOW but I would think that it would cover a wide age range. The reason is that it was started back in the 80's so I would think that section is older and since they are still building (and will be for years) you would have lots of younger retirees in the new sections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
 
43 posts, read 131,503 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you for the feedback. We have thought a little about fees, but when we start looking in February will be sure to learn about all the extra costs. It makes sense that the older section of OTOW would have older people. The mix sounds good to me, but it will depend a lot on annual costs.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,828 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by marliz View Post
Thank you for the feedback. We have thought a little about fees, but when we start looking in February will be sure to learn about all the extra costs. It makes sense that the older section of OTOW would have older people. The mix sounds good to me, but it will depend a lot on annual costs.

Thanks again!
Also make sure you know how "real estate taxes" are calculated. In addition to these taxes there can be fees that relate only to your development so make sure you learn about all the charges that might come up on a tax bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
 
43 posts, read 131,503 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you. It would nice to find a trustworthy realtor. I think we know one but that's just a "feeling." We will have to watch for so many things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 AM
 
Location: columbus
2 posts, read 10,648 times
Reputation: 10
Red face looking at OTOW

We just returned from the weekend visit at OTOW and fell in love with floor plans. Still doing research as it will be at least 18 mo till we can move (have 2 homes to sell). I really want a gas range which they have, he wants a huge 3-car garage which they say can be done. We did see a few while there. Fees seem high compared to Del Webb but I have read some unfav. reviews on DW on another site. Seems to be some bickering about softball fields, snow-birds grumbling, etc.
Can anyone actually living in OTOW provide feedback?
Thanks
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,828 posts, read 3,132,132 times
Reputation: 3399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat in Columbus View Post
We just returned from the weekend visit at OTOW and fell in love with floor plans. Still doing research as it will be at least 18 mo till we can move (have 2 homes to sell). I really want a gas range which they have, he wants a huge 3-car garage which they say can be done. We did see a few while there. Fees seem high compared to Del Webb but I have read some unfav. reviews on DW on another site. Seems to be some bickering about softball fields, snow-birds grumbling, etc.
Can anyone actually living in OTOW provide feedback?
Thanks
Cat
I live in OTOTW but not long enough to comment on how popular the activities are. Still working full time so that takes up my day. The learning center is good and well attended. Just got back from a 2 hour presentation by the sheriffs department. If you play golf I do not think you will have problems with tee times (I do not play)
The floor plans are good and if you have not, go to their internet site and use the interactive plans to place your furniture etc.
When we started looking we were only looking at Del Web due to the years they have been in business. But the more we looked the more we felt a different builder was the way to go.
I think you will find the home construction better at OTOTW. If you are buying new they will currently make what ever modifications you want. This might be important. Depending on your tastes you could add 50% to the base costs. Or you could be happy with the basic model. Fees are a little harder to compare. On the surface they are higher in OTOTW but when you start to break down the services they may come closer together. For example my HOA fee includes the internet (not suitable for movie watching, but you can upgrade) which is probably an extra charge in most communities. The community started back in the 80's and will probably still be growing for another 25 years. Point is the builder is here for the long run and has to be interested in maintaining the community standards.
We basically go everywhere by golf cart, including grocery shopping and several small restaurants. We use less than a tank of gas a month. Shopping centers, restaurants, doctors etc are all by car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 PM
 
113 posts, read 121,851 times
Reputation: 36
Default Youtube video of OTOW

I plan to do the two day world tour next summer. I'd like to see OTOW homeowner do a golf cart tour of the community and parts of Ocala where a homeowner would typically go. I saw such a video of The Villages and thought it was informative. Do you know of such a video? Would the OTOW HOA allow a homeowner to make such a video and post it online? The few videos on the OTOW website are nice but a different perspective would be interesting to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top