Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 18,271 times

Advertisements

We are looking at Ocala to raise our 4 children but have a few questions and need as much help as possible ASAP. Our childrens ages are 3,5,8 & 10 and we would like to raise them in a safe, family oriented area where people enjoy getting together in the neighborhood. You see we come from an area of Minnesota and are a bit scared to move here but have to because of a death in the family. We really would love to be in a under 50 area with a bunch of younger families that are down to earth and just enjoy life with family and good friends. Anyway please help as we have no idea where to live in Ocala. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM

136 posts, read 329,540 times
Good luck on your move. We have lived here in Ocala for 11 years and it was great raising our kids. I'm not sure of an area for younger families but ours is in the SouthEast side of town and we have enjoyed our neighborhood. There are some 55+ neighborhoods but if not marked any age can live there. We have a nice park nearby called Gervey Gant that has a pool, ball fields, walking trails, picnic areas and dog park. We have good elementary schools nearby, not sure of middle schools and Forest High School on this side of town. I have preferred the southeast side but the town is growing in all directions. There must be some other people that can give an idea of the "younger" neightborhoods and price ranges. COME ON EVERYONE, LETS GIVE JKRANNER SOME INFO ABOUT OCALA.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM

71 posts, read 326,393 times
Sw Ocala is very nice. Newer, and new schools. Grade A. I live in Kingsland country Estates across from Ocala Waterway. It is beautiful here..Marion Oaks I would avoid along with Silver Springs Shores. I live on a Loop and there is no crime here..As you know home prices are the best ever. But at any rate, I have been here for 3 years and I love it..

Old 03-12-2010, 08:14 AM

71 posts, read 326,393 times
Also. I moved here when I was 32 and half the people in my neighborhood are in there 30's.. Email me for more info, etc..

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 22,250 times
So glad you asked this question. My family is moving from southern CA to Ocala in the summer. We are also searching for a great area to raise our two children. Very difficult to plan a move from across the country. Good luck to you JKranner.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 17,805 times
I am a realtor in the Ocala area and work in a community called Raven Glen. We have a great community of various ages and the schools are A rated. (I used to be an elem school teacher). We are on the Northwest part of town and close to everything. Silver Springs Water Park, downtown, Hwy 200,. Recently, I have sold to 3 new young families in the past 2 months. There are no HOAs but it is mildly deed restricted. This means a very well taken care of community for a reasonable cost.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 07-27-2010 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 AM

2 posts, read 33,548 times
We may be moving to Ocala in the next few months. Wondering if you have any advice since you've just went through the process. We have a 9 year old, so schools are top priority. Looking for 2500+ SF want to keep our price around 225-250K w/pool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 AM

4 posts, read 23,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadragon View Post
Sw Ocala is very nice. Newer, and new schools. Grade A. I live in Kingsland country Estates across from Ocala Waterway. It is beautiful here..Marion Oaks I would avoid along with Silver Springs Shores. I live on a Loop and there is no crime here..As you know home prices are the best ever. But at any rate, I have been here for 3 years and I love it..

Hi, looking to buy a home on Marion Oaks Lane...NOT a good neighborhood? Please help as I am in Egypt and buying blindly. Many thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 PM

140 posts, read 731,607 times
Default Marion Oaks

Strongly suggest looking elsewhere as Marion Oaks, as a neighborhood, is rapidly declining and deteriorating. Lots of empy, abandoned homes that have been vandalized for anything of value, such as copper tubing and wire. Area has been subjected to in-home break-ins, assaults, robberies, gang activity.

Also, it's a bit far removed from decent grocery shopping, pharmacies, and "big box" stores. Will definitely need to drive a distance for anything.

Schools? economically disadvantages students and poorly paid teachers, poor resources, low morale, low statewide achievement scores...need I say more.

Suggest looking at Terra Vista, in Citrus County, which is newer, lower taxes, new infrastructure, quality housing inventory at reasonable prices. Other neighborhoods in Citrus County may also be much more preferable than Marion Oaks.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM

32 posts, read 85,913 times
Marion Oaks, I would stay away from. There are a lot of great communities in the SE and SW sections of the city. There a lot of families with kids around. For property to buy, I think there was some nice acreage for sale in the NW areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala