U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM

3,122 posts, read 5,759,339 times

Advertisements

Amenities/HOA fees in On Top of the World range from about $180 -$300 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,542 times
Don't forget about the area between Ocala and The Villages. Belleview & Summerfield. In Belleview we have Progress-Energy and have not seen the ridiculous price increases that others in Ocala have had.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,985 times
Default 34479 Landfair Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber76treas View Post
We moved to Ocala a year ago and I LOVE it!!!
You might want to look into 34479. Nice homes, nice area, nice yards and nice people. It's very laid back. We're about 15 minutes out of downtown but still in the country by the northeast horse farms. There are lots of homes under $100,000. They are mainly concrete block, small ranch types. Good luck!!
Do you know how the Landfair Homes at NE 22nd Terrace are? The website looks nice. We're looking for a starting point to rent in Ocala and then see where we would like to go from there. We lived in Ocala down near Silver Springs Boulevard years ago, but not really familiar with the 34479 area. Anything else you can tell me about the area, like nearest banking, convenience stores, gas, etc. would be appreciated. May I ask where you relocated from? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,346,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy parker View Post
Thank you for the motel info. We are looking at buying-down sizing to a small, one level retirement home under $100,000. NOT interested in a retirement community, because of restrictions. We have 3 dogs, cats...would love to live outside of town a bit in a more country-like setting. We are moving from a 70 acre horse farm in rural northern Maine, and while we want an easier lifestyle, we don't want to lose that country feel completely. Not interested in alot of land; an acre or under. Any help is appreciated.
Before you make that final cut with where you now live... think what will happen down the road if you lose your husband. We will all end up alone some day. I snow-bird there just outside Ocala and heard some sad stories from widows and widowers I met. They move there in good health in their mid 60s not thinking what things will be like in 10 or 15 years. And those years go by fast. One day they suddenly find themselves alone far from family and old friends. Married friends in FL drop them... and if you're not in one of those horrible HOA gated communities, you can find yourself completely alone in your old age just when you need people the most. It was such a sobering thought for us that it was one of the main reasons we changed our mind and stayed in TN.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM

39 posts, read 83,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Before you make that final cut with where you now live... think what will happen down the road if you lose your husband. We will all end up alone some day. I snow-bird there just outside Ocala and heard some sad stories from widows and widowers I met. They move there in good health in their mid 60s not thinking what things will be like in 10 or 15 years. And those years go by fast. One day they suddenly find themselves alone far from family and old friends. Married friends in FL drop them... and if you're not in one of those horrible HOA gated communities, you can find yourself completely alone in your old age just when you need people the most. It was such a sobering thought for us that it was one of the main reasons we changed our mind and stayed in TN.
Thanks for the thoughts. My husband's health is the main reason we are moving out of cold, northern Maine. And to an easier lifestyle. My daughter and sister are moving with us, so family is all together. This has been a long term, well thought out plan. We would love some local input about specific things to do, places to eat while we are there in June though.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,346,035 times
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. My husband's health is the main reason we are moving out of cold, northern Maine. And to an easier lifestyle. My daughter and sister are moving with us, so family is all together.
Totally different situation then. Most couples I've met moved down alone and had no family there or family already passed away.

Quote:
This has been a long term, well thought out plan. We would love some local input about specific things to do, places to eat while we are there in June though.
If you're looking for "fine dining" there isn't too much of that in Ocala. But the restaurants there are good, the food not overpriced. As for things to do, as already suggested, picking up the Ocala daily paper will have a list of things to do. You haven't mentioned anything in particular you enjoy doing.

We loved to walk through the huge Marion County flea market on the weekends. We liked rides out in the countryside to see the horses and horse farms. We found and enjoyed Antique stores, one of which was quite large. We looked for places with buffets to eat out. We spent one day driving to Cedar Keys on the gulf, another driving around ONF. You may be able to Google things to do there also.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM

39 posts, read 83,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Totally different situation then. Most couples I've met moved down alone and had no family there or family already passed away.

If you're looking for "fine dining" there isn't too much of that in Ocala. But the restaurants there are good, the food not overpriced. As for things to do, as already suggested, picking up the Ocala daily paper will have a list of things to do. You haven't mentioned anything in particular you enjoy doing.

We loved to walk through the huge Marion County flea market on the weekends. We liked rides out in the countryside to see the horses and horse farms. We found and enjoyed Antique stores, one of which was quite large. We looked for places with buffets to eat out. We spent one day driving to Cedar Keys on the gulf, another driving around ONF. You may be able to Google things to do there also.
All sound like things we would like to try. Not interested in "fine dining" much. Thank you so much for the input.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM

3,758 posts, read 2,914,842 times
I would recommend north of Ocala. Much more rural feel to the area, lots of horse farms. I live in an area with 10 acre and larger farms, and many of the owners are in their 60's and older. Also gives closer access to Gainesville, which has a lot more to offer, shopping wise, than Ocala. The Micanopy and Macintosh areas are really nice too.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,397,703 times
Belleview Heights Estates, Belleview, Summer field. Dunnellon. You can build real inexpensively in Silver Springs Shores. Ochlawaha has a river that connects to both coasts.
Good restaurants nearby. Always the Villages for entertainment.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,397,703 times
Quote:
My husband and I are looking at retiring to Florida within the year. Have never been to the Ocala area, but it sounds like what we want-country-like, medium size town....We would like to live 5-20 minutes outside of town. Are there any areas around Ocala that you would recommend? Also, we will be visiting Ocala in June. Any medium range hotels you would recommend? Thank you.
We have stayed at the Best Western in Ocala often. Central to everything and not too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala