U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,654 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Ocala area and have friends in Oak Run. It seems like a nice community. Any comments or information on Oak Run
would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
Reputation: 2639
Assuming you are 55+ it is a very nice community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: SoCal
1,737 posts, read 1,788,674 times
Reputation: 1300
Its a great community for retirees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 AM
 
39 posts, read 83,141 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Perhaps the Dunnellon area would work for you as a place to purchase. I would definitely look west/southwest. Pass on anything that has the "Shores" in the title or location, or anything that has Ocala Electric
Just wanted to say thank you for your great advice. Just got back from a trip to Ocala area and fell in love with SW Ocala/Dunnellon. It is exactly what we are looking for. As to all you folk who talk about "Slo-cala"-coming from rural northern Maine and a village of 850, this was the big city We had soooo much fun trying out new restaurants each night! It's all a matter of perspective I believe. Hope to make the big move in the next 6-9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 PM
 
389 posts, read 634,424 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy parker View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for your great advice. Just got back from a trip to Ocala area and fell in love with SW Ocala/Dunnellon. It is exactly what we are looking for. As to all you folk who talk about "Slo-cala"-coming from rural northern Maine and a village of 850, this was the big city We had soooo much fun trying out new restaurants each night! It's all a matter of perspective I believe. Hope to make the big move in the next 6-9 months.
You are very welcome. I found the SW area to be far and away the better choice to actually live in. Once you actually get here, you will understand the nuances of location and the peculiar political tugs of war that go on. Suffice it to say that, more than likely, you will not have to ever defend nor apologize for your decision.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,545 times
Reputation: 10
Talking moving to Ocala

Hello Everyone. I wanted to pick your brains on Ocala. I am going there next month for a vacation, and I am considering retirement to Florida, from NJ. With 4 years to go, I may want to buy a place and use it as a vacation home.
I am a single guy with no kids played in bands and was wondering about a couple of things.
Is there much of a music scene there, and are there some single ladies . I see some real cheap homes on dirt roads out in the country in different parts of Ocala, which is all I need.
Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Near Nashville TN
7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Reputation: 5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert963852 View Post
Hello Everyone. I wanted to pick your brains on Ocala. I am going there next month for a vacation, and I am considering retirement to Florida, from NJ. With 4 years to go, I may want to buy a place and use it as a vacation home.
It's a beautiful area. We love it and spend our winters there.

Quote:
I am a single guy with no kids played in bands and was wondering about a couple of things.
Is there much of a music scene there, and are there some single ladies .
Night life is a bit lacking. Gainsville would be better for that. As for ladies. I don't know your age but there are plenty of ladies that are retired and widowed.

Quote:
I see some real cheap homes on dirt roads out in the country in different parts of Ocala, which is all I need.
Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.
Those cheap homes are often quite nice, if old and small. But do think about using them for a vacation home. There has been problems with homes being broken into when the local "criminal element" learns no one is there for weeks or months at a time. I'm not putting the area down, there is crime everywhere, but those empty homes, especially those out away from others, are sitting ducks. Insurance can be high on them. Look into everything before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top