Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,721 times

Advertisements

I went to Stumpknockers the other night and it was a nice place, reasonable prices, food was pretty good, but overall maybe worth a B. Where's the best seafood joint around here, particularly a place where you can get a good Captain's platter with shrimp, scallops, grouper, oysters, etc. w/o frying it, just broiled and not a few pieces on top of a pile of pasta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 AM

230 posts, read 552,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I went to Stumpknockers the other night and it was a nice place, reasonable prices, food was pretty good, but overall maybe worth a B. Where's the best seafood joint around here, particularly a place where you can get a good Captain's platter with shrimp, scallops, grouper, oysters, etc. w/o frying it, just broiled and not a few pieces on top of a pile of pasta.
From Ocala: No place around here is outstanding. If you will travel a bit, all in New Smyrna and port orange area:

The Garlic - Expensive
Flip Flops - Expensive
Down the Hatch - Moderate
Aunt Catfish - Moderate

Love them all. Great places if you can get a table.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Default Best seafood

Between Crystal River and Homosassa there is a small community called Ozello. It is a small series of islands/wetlands connected by a road and several bridges and is about 4-5 miles West of Hwy 19. Near the end of the road there are some fantastic seafood restaurants. I believe the one I am thinking of is called Peck's (??).

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 08-30-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 PM

140 posts, read 731,506 times
Default best seafood in Ocala

Best seafood that we've found in Ocala, so far, is Bone Fish Grill, located just off Route 200, behind a Wahlgreen's, and on the entrane to Pulte's new Fore Ranch development.

Great ambiance; outstanding menus selections; outstanding specials selections for the day. The wait staff are very well versed in their menu items, and combinations of foods that work well together. Portions served are on the large side. Service moves along but you are not rushed out the door. Great drink specials also. Desserts are "to die for" and large enough for 2 people. Tends to be a bit pricey buy you get what you pay for.

We'd go back without hesitation. One of our favorites here in Ocala.

There's also Sam St. John's Seafood, in the Heathbrook Plaza, next to a new Publix, a liquor store, a Weight Watchers. A bit more modest a restuarant. with less menu selections. Must be careful to watch what you order or it's likely to come back fried...happened to me twice despite my clear requests that my food NOT be fried...sent food back and it was returned broiled as I oriiginally ordered. Modest desserts. Tends to be pricey for lesser quaility of food compared to Bone Fish Grill, as above.

Stumpknockers...don't go there on a busy night, like Friday or Saturday nites, or Mother's Day. The wait staff and the cook staff get overwhelmed and it is evident in food quality. I ordered the Crockodile steak and it was soo chewy as to be inedible...this is the second time this has happened to me out of 3 total visits. A nice, rural Florida ambiance, but inconsistent food quality.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:09 AM

I have to respectfully disagree about Sam St. Johns and Bonefish Grill. I have eaten at both in the past twice each and will not go back again.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have to respectfully disagree about Sam St. Johns and Bonefish Grill. I have eaten at both in the past twice each and will not go back again.
I agree. Might as well eat at Red Lobster. Same food.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:11 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,721 times
Thanks, all of you for your suggestions. Dontaskwhy- that sounds interesting the Ozello area restaraunts, I think that place you mention Peck's is where some of my neighbors go get fresh oysters and grill them in the shell at home.

Hartwick, I know what you mean about Stumpknockers, I think it was a Thursday afternoon around 4:30 went I went and it was packed then. Like your croc steak, the gator nuggets I ordered for an appetizer....some were very rubbery and chewy, the smaller pieces were okay, although the sauce that came with them was excellant.

CMK, New Symrna is quite a hike, but road trips in FL are always fun.

I didn't know they had a Bonefish in Ocala, I went to the Bonefish Grill down in Clearwater once and it was very good. Having lived in St. Pete- Clearwater most of my life I got spoiled on great seafood, there are several great restaraunts down there.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 AM

1coolcustomer,

If you are looking for the Bonefish Grill, it is off Hwy 200, SW of I-75. Specifically it is on the West side of Hwy 200, across from the new Heathbrook Commons shopping plaza and close to the Marion West hospital.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Thanks, all of you for your suggestions. Dontaskwhy- that sounds interesting the Ozello area restaraunts, I think that place you mention Peck's is where some of my neighbors go get fresh oysters and grill them in the shell at home.

Hartwick, I know what you mean about Stumpknockers, I think it was a Thursday afternoon around 4:30 went I went and it was packed then. Like your croc steak, the gator nuggets I ordered for an appetizer....some were very rubbery and chewy, the smaller pieces were okay, although the sauce that came with them was excellant.

CMK, New Symrna is quite a hike, but road trips in FL are always fun.

I didn't know they had a Bonefish in Ocala, I went to the Bonefish Grill down in Clearwater once and it was very good. Having lived in St. Pete- Clearwater most of my life I got spoiled on great seafood, there are several great restaraunts down there.
Make the drive one day to the garlic. I can 100% assure you'll think it was more than worthwhile.

Norwoods is another good one.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
There is no such critter as a really good seafood restaurant in Ocala.
Hulls Seafood Kitchen in Ormond Beach is well worth the drive.....plus, they have a market attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala