Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:51 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I recently returned from Ocala Florida to visit my brother who resides there and it seemed like a nice community but it also seems to have a jobs issue, at least according to the locals I talked to. I am a US Army Veteran and certified mechanic by trade and my wife is a college graduate with a business degree and management experience. I'm not sure how those skills would do in Ocala Florida based on what I was told about the job situation in that area. Someone told me we would do better in Jacksonville, which would only be a 2 hour drive to visit my brother in Ocala. Which is fine. Anyways we would be coming down from Virginia and the only reason we are interested is to be closer to family. My brother is getting married and is expecting a new baby in October. We had a good time down there, and that Publix Supermarket seems like a nice place to shop. Regardless as pretty as Ocala seems you still have to be able to work and if there are no jobs it is probably senseless to go. I'm just trying to figure out if there are no jobs for the uneducated or unskilled or is there simply no jobs for anyone? Anyways thanks for listening and looking for some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I wouldn't suggest you move here, unless you already have a job lined up. Management degrees are a dime a dozen, I know because I have one.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Jacksonville probably better then?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Definitely would be a better choice.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:20 PM

Jacksonville it is. I guess maybe I should write another post in their forum to get the inside scoop. Ocala seemed very pretty and family oriented, why do they have such a job problem in that area? My brother goes to work everyday and you would think someone with a trade or college degree could do good anywhere. I guess Ocala is not the answer for us.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM

18 posts, read 45,378 times
There are jobs in a few select fields. My wife is an RN, and we are making enough to keep me as a SAHD to homeschool our boys. We have plenty to do, since we are into the outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, shooting, etc. The Ocala area is excellent if these are among your hobbies. I also love the location, since we can reach either coast or hit Orlando, Tampa, or Jax within a couple hours.

As a mechanic, you may find work, but like others suggested, you would want something firm before you move, unless you have a nice savings. Your wife could find work as well, but the income would vary so greatly and I do not know what kind of income she is used to. I knew a guy who worked as GM for a Seminole Feed store and was making $45k, but the Family Dollar may only pay in the $20s.

Ocala is what you make of it. Unfortunately, we have a large population that refer to us as Slowcala and are so disgruntled for a myriad of reasons. Also, our city and county commissioners suck and make horrible long term decisions, which obviously affects our jobs based on the companies they do/do not entice. Yet, if you can land a good company and find a nice area, many of us absolutely love life here (there was a time that I did not). As to your last question, I think many people do gripe because there is little for the unskilled here and we are full of unskilled people. Our college degree rate is way low, and we don't seem to prepare enough people for trades. On the flip side, families who have just a bit of disposable income enjoy our town.

If you plan on renting, you can always rent in the Jax area while you scout out Ocala on your visits. Florida has very diverse populations, so take a look around. Take care.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Jacksonville it is. I guess maybe I should write another post in their forum to get the inside scoop. Ocala seemed very pretty and family oriented, why do they have such a job problem in that area? My brother goes to work everyday and you would think someone with a trade or college degree could do good anywhere. I guess Ocala is not the answer for us.
Th reason is Ocala is a small community winch started to base alot of its economy of off the growth. When the economy crashed alot of the jobs were gone, and Ocala had one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. Jacksonville is definatley a better choice it is just as family friendly some of the best schools in the state, but it wasn't hit as hard as Ocala was.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you are a certified Mechanic the Ocala area isnt totally devoid of jobs,, what they pay is another story

Mechanic Jobs, Employment in Ocala, FL | Indeed.com

Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I notice a lot of waitress jobs. Tips can be good. Also Real estate brokers
as the market is pickingup.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM

Our annual income is decent, above 75k. I don't say that to brag or think I'm better then anyone, it took us years to get there. I'm not sure if we could duplicate that in Ocala. It's a beautiful community and very family oriented Ocala seems. Loved shopping at the Publix the few times we did and went over to check out Crystal River, did the Car Masters Weekend in Downtown Disney for our 20 year anniversary, June 16th. I'm a certified mechanic and also hold certification for vehicle safety inspections through the Virginia State Police. Florida doesn't seem to have an annual vehicle safety inspection program, which may hurt my salary a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala