U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 5,795,656 times

Advertisements

I think the reason it failed is that the commissioners felt it was unenforceable as I mentioned in an earlier post. I encourage anyone who sees any sign of animal abuse to report it immediately. That is the best solution. The city/county cannot afford to enforce the ordinance as suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM

478 posts, read 574,844 times
Whatever the Commissoners "felt" it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a verbal explanation as opposed to a rude silence ?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 5,795,656 times
And yet, they don't have justify their decision/lack of followup. Move on for now and reintroduce the ordinance at a later date.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM

3,585 posts, read 9,041,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
So......I guess the general concensus is that even though we recognize that many pets are abused by extended tethering and other communities have entered the 21st century to protect animals from irresponsible owners with some form of anti tethering laws The residents of Ocala should remain in the 20th century because they may accidentally enact an imperfect anti tethering law that may require a simple future revision to make it perfect ?
If the premise is that other people have enacted certain laws then it must be good and we all should follow, then why do we not have mandatory gun ownership in Ocala Florida yet??? Both Nucla Colorado and Nelson Georgia have laws on the books requiring all heads of household to own firearms. By the logic stated above this clearly means that mandatory gun ownership is a desirable 21st century standard and should be adopted everywhere.

I think it is pretty clear by the responses in this thread that "extended tethering" is NOT recognized as abuse in all cases. As with gun ownership, the fact that there is not universal agreement on the factual or moral basis leaves the desirability of the law in debate. Claiming it to be a modern philosophy does not make it any more correct or moral. Given the progress of coming into the 20th century, perhaps we should hold off on ramping up to the 21st century until the effects can be fully explored in a less emotionally charged push toward progress.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 PM

How in the hell did guns get introduced into this thread and somehow equated with animal abuse by extended chaining ??? Insanity !!!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM

3,775 posts, read 2,942,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
With that I have to agree with the OP. Inaction is the surest path to despair. Do something now. How many times have ppl stood by and let something persist. IMHO, you have to start somewhere. I would have to support this ordinance. I think that it would be enforced on a case by case basis. And it may not even be enforced at all given current available resources, but at least local enforcement folks would have a tool to work with.

But something needs to be done. Sadly I saw a poor dog tethered for days not being fed or barely being fed until he was skin and bones. I called animal control many times and it was weeks before someone came out. Not sure if it was b/c there wasn't anything in place which allowed them to take the dog or a lack of resources. If there is ANY way to make a difference and if this law increases the ability of agencies to confiscate an abused animal I'm all for it.

Just a side note:

For those of you who shoot from the hip when you respond, consider the phrase "you get more with honey than you do with vinegar". It has merit. Persuasive language is a good thing when trying to win an debate. Anonymity unfortunately allows ppl to be snarky but truly doesn't win you any points.
You are confusing the issues, which is exactly why the Commission isnt doing anything about this. The tethering had nothing to do with a dog not being fed until he was skin and bones. The issue with that dog was that HE WASNT BEING FED. That has nothing to do with tethering. It has to do with taking care of the dog.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Tying a dog to a tree 24/7 and giving it food and water does not constitute "taking care of it" !!!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 465 times
I think that all of the people who are supporting this law need to worry about themselves more, the starving children, the abused people in our community. Dogs are ANIMALS people! grow up! it does not harm the animal at all to be tethered to a tree in your back yard and it is not irresponsible or an owner being cheap, most dogs are provided for rather well, have a dog house to get into and food and water available. You red doper diaper babies need to worry more about people. I am actually supporting the new proposed state law that will ban animals from being free in a vehicle, they will be required to be caged! I think that is great. People cause so many accidents and kill so many innocent citizens due to their pet running wild in the car with them. It's about time we reeled these PETA, pets rights, dictators who think they know more than anyone else what a dog is thinking (when in fact they don't know anything at all about the animal), and tell them to shut up take a back seat and if they don't like it leave the country!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:10 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,403,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredofStupidHumans View Post
Dogs are ANIMALS people! grow up! it does not harm the animal at all to be tethered to a tree in your back yard ......
I'm sure you're yet another troll - but I'll reply anyway. Dogs can SUFFER from heat, cold, kids with rocks, biting flies, mosquitoes, boredom and when chained, have managed to strangle themselves or be attacked by another dog. Tethering a dog is cruel when it's done for more than a few hours a day. If someone wants a dog let them put up a secure fence or walk the dog on a leash. I hope you don't like dogs and don't own any. It has nothing to do with "growing up," a totally stupid remark.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,403,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Tying a dog to a tree 24/7 and giving it food and water does not constitute "taking care of it" !!!
To some ignorant uncaring people - that is taking care of it. They're people who shouldn't own dogs. They don't want a dog as a companion when all they do is spend 2 minutes a day feeding and watering it. Why have it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or