U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:56 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,169,029 times

Advertisements

I don't suppose Sat. service would be any better, just more expensive. This is interesting to know since I'm considering moving to Ocala. The things you take for granted in the city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM

389 posts, read 634,424 times
Given your background in another thread, I would imagine you would expect internet at speeds and reliability comparable to where you are now. Unless you can get BrightHouse, you are SOL. I know parts of Dunnellon has Brighthouse cable. If access is a necessity, make sure you verify with a specific address in mind. You definitely don't want satellite.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
I live by the shore near winn-dixie. Right now Comcast is the only available cable internet service provider here. I keep calling cox every month when they are going to have service in my area but they said my place is only exclusive for cox. Sucks I thought monopoly is not allowed but this is the truth.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobski View Post
Sucks I thought monopoly is not allowed but this is the truth.
You can blame the government for licensing restrictions on where and how can provide such services. Yes, it is monopolistic.

In some cases, the cable providers may not want to pay for the cost to provide coverage to all homes/communities in their coverage area. Such infrastructure isn't cheap and they want to recover those fees as quickly as they can.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 9,432 times
So still no luck and still no service other than Centurylink 1.5 mbps. This a complete joke and needs to change. Just run the coax down the street a half mile!!

Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpoloitalia View Post
So still no luck and still no service other than Centurylink 1.5 mbps. This a complete joke and needs to change. Just run the coax down the street a half mile!!
Unfortunately, unless you are wealthy enough to pay for the new coax yourself or until there are enough subscribers in the your area, not likely that the line will be run. Laying and burying new cable lines is far from cheap.

The cable/internet company can't just run down to Home Depot to buy a cheap Coax cable and having a local "Bubba" with a shovel to bury it for a 6 pack of beer.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:57 PM

Here we are 5 years later...and still no coax cable to all the houses off Locust road. 5g wireless internet can't come soon enough!!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:13 PM

I live within the city limits and we were promised about 6 years ago that we would get Fiber Optic lines run to our community for phone/cable/internet. Guess what has happened up until now. I will give you 3 guesses.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 PM

HA!Good luck with that! At this point I'm just waiting for 5g wireless internet....but they are building quite a few new homes around me and Duke Energy just replaced the old power lines with taller ones...plenty of room to run that coax on the power lines.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpoloitalia View Post
...plenty of room to run that coax on the power lines.
Not a simple matter of just adding it to the existing utility poles without getting permission from the owners of those poles. It isn't necessarily owned by the city or the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or