U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM

218 posts, read 402,292 times

Advertisements

Which is your favorite movie theater in Ocala...aren't there three?
  1. The Regal
  2. Marion Theater
  3. Ocala 6

I've been to the first two. The Marion Theater is great. The restoration is pretty amazing, but the seats are a throwback and not the most comfortable. The sound system is fantastic.

The Regal 16 is the newest it seems and most expensive. One con is that it's like they always have the A/C only partially on. It's always SOOOOO hot in there. However, the it's worth the stadium seating and is fairly clean.

Has anyone been to the Ocala 6 in the Ocala Center? I've heard it was updated but haven't gone.
Does anyone have a review? Does it have Stadium seating. Is it clean or does it smell like stale popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

394 posts, read 638,249 times
I have not been to the Ocala 6, but have been to the other two. We don't have much reason to venture east on the Boulevard. I appreciate what they have done with the downtown Marion Theatre, but have to agree about the seats. They have been doing the block parties and such lately that sound like fun, but haven't seen one yet that appeals to me specifically. We usually hit the Regal for an early matinee, so we have it pretty much to ourselves, but even at matinee prices, it has to be something we just HAVE to see on the big screen. Last movie we went to was the latest Star Trek. I do wish we had an IMAX close by. I read today about a venture to bring real live Film Festivals to Ocala. Great idea, if we had a better infrastructure downtown, but who am I to argue about what comes first...the Chicken or the Egg? Perhaps the Festival Program will spur further development. I do hope so. We haven't decided if we are going to try FAFO this year. It was awesome at McPherson, but downtown? We shall see.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
I have not been to the Ocala 6, but have been to the other two. We don't have much reason to venture east on the Boulevard. I appreciate what they have done with the downtown Marion Theatre, but have to agree about the seats. They have been doing the block parties and such lately that sound like fun, but haven't seen one yet that appeals to me specifically. We usually hit the Regal for an early matinee, so we have it pretty much to ourselves, but even at matinee prices, it has to be something we just HAVE to see on the big screen. Last movie we went to was the latest Star Trek. I do wish we had an IMAX close by. I read today about a venture to bring real live Film Festivals to Ocala. Great idea, if we had a better infrastructure downtown, but who am I to argue about what comes first...the Chicken or the Egg? Perhaps the Festival Program will spur further development. I do hope so. We haven't decided if we are going to try FAFO this year. It was awesome at McPherson, but downtown? We shall see.
I attend the Regal mostly for the matinees as well. Less ppl and cheaper.

Some of the block parties downtown have been ok. The alternate location while they're revamping the circle really doesn't lend itself to great seating, etc. They probably would have better attendance if they put out chairs. Can't wait till they have the Circle completely redeveloped and useable.

One thing I have to say is at least the downtown blocks aren't entirely littered with empty stores and restaurants. And the Friday Art walks are encouraging ppl to come downtown. Did attend a recent one but until the sun went down it was rather blazing.

The article for the Film Fest:
Local group bringing juried film festival to Ocala in April 2014 | Ocala.com
It sounds promising!

I think the Art Fest downtown is a great idea - more people will see what downtown has to offer. HOPEFULLY the Circle will be finished otherwise it'll be an eyesore.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaLiving View Post
I attend the Regal mostly for the matinees as well. Less ppl and cheaper.

Some of the block parties downtown have been ok. The alternate location while they're revamping the circle really doesn't lend itself to great seating, etc. They probably would have better attendance if they put out chairs. Can't wait till they have the Circle completely redeveloped and useable.

One thing I have to say is at least the downtown blocks aren't entirely littered with empty stores and restaurants. And the Friday Art walks are encouraging ppl to come downtown. Did attend a recent one but until the sun went down it was rather blazing.

The article for the Film Fest:
Local group bringing juried film festival to Ocala in April 2014 | Ocala.com
It sounds promising!

I think the Art Fest downtown is a great idea - more people will see what downtown has to offer. HOPEFULLY the Circle will be finished otherwise it'll be an eyesore.
Are you sure the Circle is being revamped? I believe it is the Downtown Square proper and gazebo that is being redone, but yes, more parking and seating would be most welcome. I attended the last ArtWalk and while it was ok, it could have been so much better. For example, not all sidewalks lend themselves to comfortably accommodate both foot traffic and artist space. I would prefer that a few of the streets be blocked off so that you aren't constantly falling off the curb. That brings up the second improvement I would like to see during these events: expanded al fresco restaurant seating, clusters of umbrellaed picnic tables with a few vendors doing water, hot dogs, ice cream, etc. making it more of a true casual and social event. A place to cool off, rest, and showcase the artists. Oh well......in time, I suppose.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM

You're correct, it's the downtown square being revamped.

And I agree:
expanded al fresco restaurant seating, clusters of umbrellaed picnic tables with a few vendors doing water, hot dogs, ice cream, etc. making it more of a true casual and social event. A place to cool off, rest, and showcase the artists.

ALL great ideas!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 PM

478 posts, read 572,366 times
I think your forgetting the Drive In ?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
I think your forgetting the Drive In ?
Honestly, I did remember it, but as the OP said Ocala, I didn't think to mention it. Although it is the Ocala Drive-In, I always think of it as being in Belleview. I may be mistaken. There is also a regular theater in Belleview, as well. I loved Drive-ins as a kid.....Favorite movie was The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes with a VERY young Kurt Russell, seen at the Pinellas Park Drive-In. By the time my kids came, the Drive-Ins were gone.

Speaking of the Ocala Drive-In, I have reached the age where I prefer air-conditioning and great sound, but if the younguns are here, the Drive-In is a must!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:35 PM

@FloridaGentleman, I only remembered it after you mentioned it and like Dax, I, for some reason, consider it to be more part of Belleview.

Have never been to it. Didn't even realize they were still showing movies there. Seems like part of it's a flea-market. I *have* gone to the flea-market but the background music playing there smacks of dueling banjos and the vendors seem to be part of the original hillybilly cast. There are some scary folk out there. Not a place I'm going to frequent.

Last edited by OcalaLiving; 08-11-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

478 posts, read 572,366 times
It's about a mile south of downtown Ocala and Bellevue is 12 miles south of Ocala ???

Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
It's about a mile south of downtown Ocala and Bellevue is 12 miles south of Ocala ???
Perhaps it is more than a mile, but I suppose you are technically correct. However, it does have more of a Belleview feel. Once I hit south of 464A, it's all Belleview to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala