U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM

399 posts, read 873,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearman View Post
people live McLives, in McCommunities, and enjoy McRetirement - where someone else controls every aspect of their lives and calls it a slice of McHeaven.
Yes, McHeavan. You get a call at 7A and coffee and Danish are delivered to your McMansion with the McPaper from "someone else that controls everything here.
Someone from the developers comes and wipes your butt then its off to the rec centers or golf.
Lunch and more butt wiping and golf.
Cocktails and dinner all provided by" someone else in control".
Party until then and then "someone else" comes to tuck you in.

Bearman; are you freakin ignorant or just playing the part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The Villages does have 'villages' for families. I have seen it; also a high school etc.
The high school is for children of employees. There are three neighborhoods reserved for non-seniors, and most of the residents there are employees and their families, because these areas were built specifically with families of employees in mind. There are others who live there, but they get no amenities at all, and don't pay amenity fees. They have no pool, they have to pay regular guest fees to use the golf courses, they can't join any of the clubs, and their children and themselves are -not- welcome in any of the clubhouses, or fitness centers. I don't believe those three neighborhoods even have playgrounds for the kids - though there -is- a playground in the Villages, intended for visiting children staying in the homes of their elderly relatives. The only things the family areas have regular access to, are the golf cart trails - which the paying residents generally object to because those trails are paid for by the amenity fees - which the family neighborhood residents don't pay.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
My brother lives in the VIllages and I have visited a number of times. Even though it comes across as Geriatric Disneyworld it may be my retirement spot. Would I rather live in another over 55 community that has no amenities, has an aged population or filled with snowbirds who leave when it warms up? I don't think so.

The VIllages are riding the Baby Boomer wave. They are building now to catch the younger boomers who are about to retire.

At some point the Villages will no longer be an over 55 community...perhaps 20 years from now when the newly retired wont be as large a group as the boomers are.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM

2,931 posts, read 3,800,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
My brother lives in the VIllages and I have visited a number of times. Even though it comes across as Geriatric Disneyworld it may be my retirement spot. Would I rather live in another over 55 community that has no amenities, has an aged population or filled with snowbirds who leave when it warms up? I don't think so.

The VIllages are riding the Baby Boomer wave. They are building now to catch the younger boomers who are about to retire.

At some point the Villages will no longer be an over 55 community...perhaps 20 years from now when the newly retired wont be as large a group as the boomers are.
It will more than likely be a dilapidated mess in 40 years. Of course it's no concern of those living there now...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM

399 posts, read 873,298 times
At that point I would be 99.
Not sure why you think it would dilapidated by then.
Hmmm, how long has Orlando/ Winter Park been around?
Pretty dilapidated looking along Park Avenue.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM

2,931 posts, read 3,800,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
At that point I would be 99.
Not sure why you think it would dilapidated by then.
Hmmm, how long has Orlando/ Winter Park been around?
Pretty dilapidated looking along Park Avenue.
I'm not saying for sure it will. Just that with Florida's development track record, there's a chance a good portion of it will.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 PM

389 posts, read 634,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Interesting. Not sure how it will wash out, but I do not believe that the post-boomer wave will be able to afford the Villages lifestyle. Fewer pensions, iffy 401 plans, lower home equities, and diminishing Social Security seem to argue against it. I perceive them as forced to be more independent thinking, self-reliant, and less trusting of large government/corporate/developer entities. They are being molded to adapt, improvise, do more with less, and are regarded as independent contractors in all life aspects. I don't see them as the next generation of Village People.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
The Villages has a better track record than Florida - and better than the entire country actually. During the recession, the Villages remained profitable, and basically oblivious to the recession in general. They didn't suffer at all - home sales continued, development continued, contractors had the same amount of work there as they did before, and the employees of contractors continued to earn paychecks as they had before. There was - for all intents and purposes - no change, while the rest of the country suffered. Minor glitches here and there but in the end - no change.

As for how it'll be in 20 years - all you need to do, is look at how it was 20 years ago, compared to how it is now. It was The Villages then - it's the Villages now. Except it's hugely improved from the original. The old pre-manufactured (trailers) homes from the original - most of them are still there, still inhabitable, still inhabited, still being bought and sold, being renovated and improved and upgraded and updated, the landscaping is still terrific, except the trees are now mature and provide awesome shade and a lovely facade of semi-privacy between the yards and the golf courses that abut them.

The older Villa areas are mostly unchanged - other than being updated, with grey pipes replaced, upgraded electricals and AC, etc.

The old Village Square is just as lovely as it was when it was first built.

Although development continues, that's one thing you probably won't see as much of, 20 years from now. On the other hand, the homes that have recently been built, will be 20 years old, and will be affordable to newly-retired seniors looking for a "slice of paradise" to live out their golden years.

The trailer homes will probably no longer exist, and will have been replaced with new construction - probably manufactured on site, like many of the ranches in the older non-trailer sections.

Seniors, once they become seniors, generally don't want to -have- to be independent. They will have lived most of their adult lives independent, and now it's time to relax and let the world take care of the "pampering" side of life, while they maintain the "necessities" side of life. The Villages caters to the "senior mentality" in that regard.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The Villages has a better track record than Florida - and better than the entire country actually. During the recession, the Villages remained profitable, and basically oblivious to the recession in general. They didn't suffer at all - home sales continued, development continued, contractors had the same amount of work there as they did before, and the employees of contractors continued to earn paychecks as they had before. There was - for all intents and purposes - no change, while the rest of the country suffered. Minor glitches here and there but in the end - no change.

As for how it'll be in 20 years - all you need to do, is look at how it was 20 years ago, compared to how it is now. It was The Villages then - it's the Villages now. Except it's hugely improved from the original. The old pre-manufactured (trailers) homes from the original - most of them are still there, still inhabitable, still inhabited, still being bought and sold, being renovated and improved and upgraded and updated, the landscaping is still terrific, except the trees are now mature and provide awesome shade and a lovely facade of semi-privacy between the yards and the golf courses that abut them.

The older Villa areas are mostly unchanged - other than being updated, with grey pipes replaced, upgraded electricals and AC, etc.

The old Village Square is just as lovely as it was when it was first built.

Although development continues, that's one thing you probably won't see as much of, 20 years from now. On the other hand, the homes that have recently been built, will be 20 years old, and will be affordable to newly-retired seniors looking for a "slice of paradise" to live out their golden years.

The trailer homes will probably no longer exist, and will have been replaced with new construction - probably manufactured on site, like many of the ranches in the older non-trailer sections.

Seniors, once they become seniors, generally don't want to -have- to be independent. They will have lived most of their adult lives independent, and now it's time to relax and let the world take care of the "pampering" side of life, while they maintain the "necessities" side of life. The Villages caters to the "senior mentality" in that regard.
You have hit the nail on the head, very well, too.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times
The Villages will build 2,000 more homes in Fruitland Park.
The Villages seems to get what it wants. They carry a big stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala