U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 PM

8,226 posts, read 7,530,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Yes, we moved here in 2012 having lived in Baldwin Park for 8 years.
We visited once and knew it was for us.
BTW The Villages is the second largest employer in FL after Disney.
It's now home to over 100,000 people and prices are going up. Obviously the Morse family is doing something right.
Not even close. UF is Florida's largest employer and the big hospitals employ more than the Villages. Heck, Publix has more employees than live in the Villages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:46 PM

399 posts, read 876,379 times
You are right. I heard this and I think the context included all of the trades people and service people. Still a lot of people directly and indirectly benefitting from TV's growth.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 AM

392 posts, read 640,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
The Villages will build 2,000 more homes in Fruitland Park.
The Villages seems to get what it wants. They carry a big stick.
In 2012, Fruitland Park had an estimated population of just over 4000.

RIP, Fruitland Park.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:31 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,408,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
In 2012, Fruitland Park had an estimated population of just over 4000.

RIP, Fruitland Park.
It will be called 'Orange Country"?

Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,926,599 times
I feel bad for the Fruitland Parkers, and am so glad I didn't buy something there.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I feel bad for the Fruitland Parkers, and am so glad I didn't buy something there.
I feel bad for them, too. However The Villages can be a positive influence on the
area.
I did like some of the areas near the lake. can't remember the name of it.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM

399 posts, read 876,379 times
I do too. Who would want more money in tax receipts and improvement in infrastructure?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,926,599 times
Well, I was thinking yeah it might be safer place, etc. I don't know how close the place will be to the people who moved to FP to be away from big developments, that's all. To some people that is more important.

I want to move away from here because of development!

Just hope it works out for all concerned and that nobody who doesn't want to sell is pushed out, that's all. That's the heartbreaking part of these things.

You might not want the source of those benefits to be perched in your beloved back yard. But since you chose to live in TV it's not a concern for you.^^

Old 12-18-2013, 06:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,776,541 times
From what I understand, most (if not all) of the property they're developing on, was at one point a single farm. Most of the neighboring area of Fruitland Park, was also farmland, and most of the people living in the houses that now occupy those homes there, do so because someone else had developed it.

Considering that most of Florida is overdeveloped swampland and houses in hurricane zones that can't have basements because they're built on sand, I don't see how anyone can be surprised, or upset, to learn that more of it is being developed.

The upside of it, is that it's the Villages and not some really badly-designed, unattractive condo complex or industrial area.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
From what I understand, most (if not all) of the property they're developing on, was at one point a single farm. Most of the neighboring area of Fruitland Park, was also farmland, and most of the people living in the houses that now occupy those homes there, do so because someone else had developed it.

Considering that most of Florida is overdeveloped swampland and houses in hurricane zones that can't have basements because they're built on sand, I don't see how anyone can be surprised, or upset, to learn that more of it is being developed.

The upside of it, is that it's the Villages and not some really badly-designed, unattractive condo complex or industrial area.
You are right. From what I see it's a poor area and will benefit from TV.
2200 homes though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala