U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM

391 posts, read 637,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAServices View Post
Wow Sorry if I seem out of place here but I feel that Ocala needs to get with the times because we have over 85,000 15 year olds that will move away because of the so called retirement living of ocala and I really do see Ocala growing with options for them to stay and contribute to the economic development of the state. And what's the sence of me bringing my fourtune here if half way down the line I will have to go to work to pay off my $489,000.00 home with a mortgage of over $3,000.00 and my yearly property taxes of of $3,000.00 also.

And don't get me wrong I like Ocala to an extent. I am a New York and feel for the individuals in that live in poverty and that being 15.6% out of floridas total of 14.% maybe that's due to the lack of quality of life that Ocala offers them and they are stuck because they can't leave if they wanted to

And I don't mean to offend any one. Just looking at the facts.
We are not offended.......but we ARE very confused.
Sorry.....having a Gene Wilder moment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM

3,122 posts, read 5,761,347 times
DNAService:

A few facts you overlooked about the Ocala area vs. NY:

1) Cost of living is far less
2) Property taxes are a fraction of what they are in NY
3) No state income taxes
4) Housing costs are far less

I am not saying that the area doesn't have it's issues but take everything into account. Not everyone in Ocala lives in poverty. Wages are nothing like they are in NY and that is a fact, but like I mentioned, there are distinct differences that account for that.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 AM

157 posts, read 169,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
We are not offended.......but we ARE very confused.
Sorry.....having a Gene Wilder moment.

x 2 on your post ......

Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM

157 posts, read 169,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
DNAService:

A few facts you overlooked about the Ocala area vs. NY:

1) Cost of living is far less
2) Property taxes are a fraction of what they are in NY
3) No state income taxes
4) Housing costs are far less

I am not saying that the area doesn't have it's issues but take everything into account. Not everyone in Ocala lives in poverty. Wages are nothing like they are in NY and that is a fact, but like I mentioned, there are distinct differences that account for that.

After I retired we beat feet out of NYS so fast your head would spin. No longer "snow-birds", but full time residents now. I can expand on your 4 points a bit ... we lived in the Western Southern-tier of NYS (very rural) ... a well, septic tank, propane (super expensive way to heat), our electric bill averaged $140 month (basically it was for our stove and lights !), if you wanted any kind of TV it was on a dish, the only broadband available was an "air-card" from Verizon (again, super expensive), the list goes on and on. When we bought the place 14 years earlier, our property taxes were $2400 year. When we sold it this past spring, we were up to $6800 year ($3900 of which were school taxes for a high school with a graduating class of under 50). Withdrawls from my retirement account got hammered with an almost 10% state income tax right off the top. Over 8% sales tax, high price of gas (it was $3.80 gal up there when it was $3.25 down here), yada, yada.

When you mention wages, well, yes and no. Great paying jobs are few and far between and minimum wages are are the general rule because all the better paying businesses fled NYS (again, nutty taxes and an anti-biz environment).

I haven't even started on the abysmal situation in NYS if you happen to be a gun enthusiast. Down the road people won't believe what they are going to hear when the multiple law suits are over re : so-called SAFE Act (just a small fraction of it : Tresmond Law Firm / David Lewis and the NY State Police violations of HIPPA, etc.).

Over 1.6 million New Yorkers moved out of state between 2000 and 2010. The latest US Census, showed that for the second consecutive decade, New York was the country’s favorite place to leave. And in that time period this exodus has taken just shy of a hundred billion dollars in adjusted gross income and largely sent it to southern and mid-western states (largest share to Florida). It's obvious what will eventually happen with that situation. I see the people left behind having to shoulder an ever increasing load of debt. NYS is a very hard place to try and retire in. After 62 years of living there, I can attest to the "frog in the boiling water" scenario. I'll be damned if I was going to keep feeding that insanity with my hard earned retirement finances.

Sorry, my expansion of your post turned into a sort of rant ......

Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Wow Sorry if I seem out of place here but I feel that Ocala needs to get with the times because we have over 85,000 15 year olds that will move away because of the so called retirement living of ocala and I really do see Ocala growing with options for them to stay and contribute to the economic development of the state. And what's the sence of me bringing my fourtune here if half way down the line I will have to go to work to pay off my $489,000.00 home with a mortgage of over $3,000.00 and my yearly property taxes of of $3,000.00 also.

And don't get me wrong I like Ocala to an extent. I am a New York and feel for the individuals in that live in poverty and that being 15.6% out of floridas total of 14.% maybe that's due to the lack of quality of life that Ocala offers them and they are stuck because they can't leave if they wanted to

Okay....let's try this again. I am still not sure I am getting exactly what you mean, so please bear with me.

I agree that, at the moment, options for 15 year old kids do seem bleak, but I dare say it is a hell of a lot worse for their middle-age parents. At least the 15 year old can go to school at the local college or attend a vocational school after high school without worrying about supporting a family. And, let's face it.......Part of the reason you think " Ocala needs to get with the times " is because there have been too many leaders for too many years who never DID leave and like things just the way they are. ( Otherwise known as Luddites ) Things are changing though, and Ocala is trying to overcome its past narrow-mindedness. And honestly, some of the olde folks can be just as intransigent.

Next....Are you saying that you actually bought a house here for 489k ?!? With a monthly payment of 3k ?!?
Really? And you expect that you are going to have to go to work to afford the payments? Here in Ocala? Ok...now I really am confused. I gotta be missing something. Why would you put yourself in that position? I must be misunderstanding.

My head hurts.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,349,397 times
Quote:
Wow Sorry if I seem out of place here but I feel that Ocala needs to get with the times because we have over 85,000 15 year olds that will move away because of the so called retirement living of ocala and I really do see Ocala growing with options for them to stay and contribute to the economic development of the state.
I'm not sure what you mean by getting with the times. What would you have change?

Quote:
And what's the sence of me bringing my fourtune here if half way down the line I will have to go to work to pay off my $489,000.00 home with a mortgage of over $3,000.00 and my yearly property taxes of of $3,000.00 also.
Why would you need such a costly retirement home? There are fine homes for sale around Ocala for a 1/3 of that price.

Quote:

People live in poverty everywhere. Some are mentally ill, others have learning disabilities... there are many reasons people don't get good educations and high paying jobs. FL is not known for it's higher paying jobs - NY is! But look at the outrageous cost of living in NYC.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,828,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 road runner View Post

After I retired we beat feet out of NYS so fast your head would spin. No longer "snow-birds", but full time residents now. I can expand on your 4 points a bit ... we lived in the Western Southern-tier of NYS (very rural) ... a well, septic tank, propane (super expensive way to heat), our electric bill averaged $140 month (basically it was for our stove and lights !), if you wanted any kind of TV it was on a dish, the only broadband available was an "air-card" from Verizon (again, super expensive), the list goes on and on. When we bought the place 14 years earlier, our property taxes were $2400 year. When we sold it this past spring, we were up to $6800 year ($3900 of which were school taxes for a high school with a graduating class of under 50). Withdrawls from my retirement account got hammered with an almost 10% state income tax right off the top. Over 8% sales tax, high price of gas (it was $3.80 gal up there when it was $3.25 down here), yada, yada.

When you mention wages, well, yes and no. Great paying jobs are few and far between and minimum wages are are the general rule because all the better paying businesses fled NYS (again, nutty taxes and an anti-biz environment).

I haven't even started on the abysmal situation in NYS if you happen to be a gun enthusiast. Down the road people won't believe what they are going to hear when the multiple law suits are over re : so-called SAFE Act (just a small fraction of it : Tresmond Law Firm / David Lewis and the NY State Police violations of HIPPA, etc.).

Over 1.6 million New Yorkers moved out of state between 2000 and 2010. The latest US Census, showed that for the second consecutive decade, New York was the country’s favorite place to leave. And in that time period this exodus has taken just shy of a hundred billion dollars in adjusted gross income and largely sent it to southern and mid-western states (largest share to Florida). It's obvious what will eventually happen with that situation. I see the people left behind having to shoulder an ever increasing load of debt. NYS is a very hard place to try and retire in. After 62 years of living there, I can attest to the "frog in the boiling water" scenario. I'll be damned if I was going to keep feeding that insanity with my hard earned retirement finances.

Sorry, my expansion of your post turned into a sort of rant ......

OMG thank you 71 RR!!!!!! We are bailing from Warren county NY as soon as mom sells her rental property and buys us a house, I am so glad to see positive things about the area.

I have a few places that I'm looking at, one in Ocala north west, one in Dunellon and one in Morriston.

NY is exactly what you said it was, we're freaking outta here.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 AM

321 posts, read 469,988 times
Sorry ,with all the fragmented sentences I don't understand the question

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave w View Post
Sorry ,with all the fragmented sentences I don't understand the question
Agreed. That must have been one heck of a head injury, or an epic fail of the New York education system, or an unfortunate gene mutation.......or perhaps a failure of a voice-to-text translation. I do so hope it is the OP's MyFord system.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 PM

475 posts, read 693,698 times
My brother has a house in Ocala and his mortgage is 500 a month, I'm not kidding ya. If you bought a house in Ocala that was worth 489,000 dollars it must be one hell of a house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala