U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM

156 posts, read 168,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG thank you 71 RR!!!!!! We are bailing from Warren county NY as soon as mom sells her rental property and buys us a house, I am so glad to see positive things about the area.

I have a few places that I'm looking at, one in Ocala north west, one in Dunellon and one in Morriston.

NY is exactly what you said it was, we're freaking outta here.

You're welcome ...... good luck to you in your new adventure ! We are super happy now that we're actually here full time and our properties in NY state are sold and behind us.

Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,807,585 times
That's awesome, how long have you been there?

Mom is making noises about being four hours from Miami. She wants us about two hours away.

I need to keep the rural feel. We're on ten acres up here. I want to be closer that forty five minutes to an emergency room and other amenities which is why I was looking in the Ocala area.

DH will wilt and wither if we go back to suburbia. He won't be able to tolerate it.

Do you know of anything further down that would fir the bill?

Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 PM

124 posts, read 222,034 times
been reading some of these posts about relocating to the Ocala area... We tend to move around. Left central NY in '89 and moved to the Pompano area(s.e. coast) and then up to Palm Beach county. Got too crowed and headed inland for a few years in Sebring. Found it was too small towney for me and redneck entrenched. We moved up to the Columbia SC area and now we are ready to retire....at least my wife the school teacher is. We've been considering coastal SC and georgia and also the Palm Coast area of Fl.. All of a sudden we're thinking about Ocala. My question is, how have you been recieved by the locals and your neighbors? Is the population pretty much from all over or is it mostly locals? We're both golfers and wonder if any of you are too. Any info is appreciated. By the way we're still a year and a half out. Thanks, PD

Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 PM

Painterdude, where in central NY were you? We're near Lake George.

Thanks for posting about Sebring, that sounds perfect.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM

124 posts, read 222,034 times
CCc girl...central ny is the area around Syracuse, Cortland, Auburn, Ithaca etc. We lived in Cortland, but left in 89...don't do cold anymore. Drank a few hundred beers in Lake George and Warrensburgh area 40-45 years ago and have some friends in the area between there and Albany. Sebring is in Highlands county...it's the 2nd oldest county by population in the country...it's really old. I met and played golf with a good bunch that was from New England and the Wisconsin area and they were in their mid to upper 60's when I left 5 years ago..they were not the oldest group of golfers by far. We moved there to get away from the traffic etc along the coast but it really wasn't much fun...and this from a small town guy

Old 12-01-2013, 01:57 PM

LMAO we've downed a few at Americade and at the Warrenburg Garage sale, too!

Our small town is pop. 650 so Sebring Arcadia would be quite civilized for us. We just want to be able to not hear much of our neighbors and not see the house next door.

DH collects old Cub Cadet lawn tractors, some for restoring and others he dismantles and we sell the parts.

We're garage sale junkies, I sell old Corning Ware and Pyrex when I find them at sales.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM

389 posts, read 634,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
been reading some of these posts about relocating to the Ocala area... We tend to move around. Left central NY in '89 and moved to the Pompano area(s.e. coast) and then up to Palm Beach county. Got too crowed and headed inland for a few years in Sebring. Found it was too small towney for me and redneck entrenched. We moved up to the Columbia SC area and now we are ready to retire....at least my wife the school teacher is. We've been considering coastal SC and georgia and also the Palm Coast area of Fl.. All of a sudden we're thinking about Ocala. My question is, how have you been recieved by the locals and your neighbors? Is the population pretty much from all over or is it mostly locals? We're both golfers and wonder if any of you are too. Any info is appreciated. By the way we're still a year and a half out. Thanks, PD

Columbia, huh-? Know someone who just got transferred there. He's not real happy, but it could be worse, I suppose. Anyway.....

I used to play quite a bit in Dallas, but haven't touched my clubs since I moved here. I do know there are two decent muni courses in Ocala proper, and many other public and semi-private courses in and around here. As you might expect, rates are higher during the winter months, but it's still cheap.

I would think cost of living is cheaper here as opposed to any coastal area. I understand flood insurance is going to be an ever- increasing proposition,, as well. Something else to consider is the fact that not knowing Spanish isn't a problem either. You already know about Florida not having a state income tax.

The population here is quite diverse, with many people from all over. It is getting harder and harder to find a native Ocalan, actually. Acceptance hasn't been a problem in my experience, although my Texan-inspired views on property rights kinda clashes with the prevalent " HOA's are needed to maintain the value of my home " mentality.

Just my opinion.......as usual...

Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Thanks Dax, I'm not going anywhere near an HOA if I can help it.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM

2,316 posts, read 1,903,095 times
Some friends of mine have property in Lakeport (Hendry County) and they love it there.

A friend of mine wants to sell his land in Sebring. It backs up to Highlands Hammock, but I don't know the size of the parcel.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 PM

still looking for that rural feel, I found something that may work in Naples but honestly I feel it's waaay too far south.........3420 2Nd Ave Se, Naples, FL 34117 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala