U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 09:19 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,457,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
CCc girl....Lake placid is just about 2 hours from Miami...Rte 27 goes right down the middle of the state and right thru Lake Placid..it goes directly into Miami, thru the outskirts of FT. Lauderdale and Davie. There are hardly any lights except when you go thru a few small towns. Mapquest it if you like. Davie is no longer Davie, it's suburbia with shopping centers a ton of highways(10 or 12 lanes) and traffic city. I used to do some work down that way and still go down once a year to see my tax guy in Plantation. either way, good luck
Painter, Lake Placid is one of the cutest towns I've ever seen. There's nothing fancy about it, but the artwork makes it so colorful and pretty and quaint.

CC, if you don't end up in Ocala, Lake Placid was an excellent suggestion and it's somewhat isolated, which seems to be something you're interested in. Sebring is also okay, but not as cute as Lake Placid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM

124 posts, read 222,262 times
I'm getting more and more intrigued about Ocala, still wondering about the relationship with "locals" vs. newbie former Yankee's, or is Ocala not that much of a small southern town like I found further down 27 in Avon Park? I've had my fill of interior South Carolina and want to go back where it's a bit warmer. I've been looking into coastal GA. but the prices in Ocala and its proximity to our son in Tampa have put it on the map.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,828,792 times
painterdude, start reading some of the older threads about the elec tric costs there, in one part of town it;s expensive.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 AM

777 posts, read 489,362 times
CC girl, Im curious as to why your Mom wants to be so close to Miami? Is it to be closer to the arts, beaches, etc? I know it is no comparison but Jax is building up their ballet, theater, etc. and has a decent beach and fairly close to Ocala. We moved to Delray Beach in PBC a few years ago for my husbands job in Boca Raton coming from the TriState area. There are many things I love about this area as I am a beach person but a close friend just bought a mini farm in Ocala so I have been spending quite a but of time there. If I hadnt been constrained with my husbands job I might have bought in that northern part of the state. First the prices are easily double, probably 2.5 times more here than Ocala or northern coast like Jacksonville. Second is the intensity of people especially during the season. Jupiter Farms would be less so, but Southern PBC can remind me of rush hour heading to the Lincoln Tunnel when Im trying to get a bagel on a Sunday morning at my local Delray deli. It also a totally different vibe, not country AT ALL. Also the weather here is really the sub tropics, in ocala you get a real temp drop in Winter with the closest FL would get to seasons. It is a really nice area.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM

She's being selfish.

She wants to be able to see me in a day trip. She's staying in the greater Miami area, she has lived there for over fifty years and it's familiar. She has strong ties to the U of M, still takes classes. She is starting to live again without my Dad.

She knew for months we wanted the Morriston/Ocala area and now is making demands, playing the poor frail llittle old woman who cannot possibly drive over two hours. This coming from a gal who is at the gym three times a week and walks a mile every day and mows her own lawn.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Klauka....wow, right in the middle of it all. Used to live in Margate, then up to area between Lantana and Hypoloxo on Jog.. Winston Trails golf course. Couldn't do that traffic and haven't in years. My wife taught at Boca High right on the Glades exit. Moved away from surburbia(L.I) to go to college 45 years ago and can't really stand to be around it. Sounds like you're a tad younger than I, so you're kinda locked in for a while. We are looking at retirement with painting work wherever I wind up. Now if I can get my wife a job doing some adjunct work at a local college in a chem lab etc. we'll be all set. Can't play golf ALL the time. Miami, or where you are? Might as well be in Jersey or Westchester, or anywhere on LI. Not gonna do it....

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Another reason I was looking in northern Ocala was it's proximity to Gainesville. There are a lot of colleges in the area.

Painterdude, I'm with ya on not wanting the city. We are sixteen miles from the nearest traffic light.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

well, we're not that rural. Sumter SC is a county of 100K people with an Air Force base right outside of town. My wife's high school(she's a teacher, not a student) graduates over 500 kids and there are 2 other good sized high schools in the county. You must make Malone look like downtown DC.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 PM

391 posts, read 637,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
well, we're not that rural. Sumter SC is a county of 100K people with an Air Force base right outside of town. My wife's high school(she's a teacher, not a student) graduates over 500 kids and there are 2 other good sized high schools in the county. You must make Malone look like downtown DC.

Son# 2 just found a place in Hopkins, after deciding Sumter wasn't for him. He is now at Shaw. Anyway.....check out the College of Central Fl here in Ocala. It is a public state college, offering 4 year degrees. You may find something for your wife there.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:48 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,914,000 times
Klaucka lol wonder if I have ever delivered your mail. In any case, I work with your mailperson

I want out of south pbc too.

My aunt and uncle love Lake Placid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala