U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM

777 posts, read 489,031 times

Advertisements

OMG that is too funny...if you are my mail person you probably curse me every day because our mailbox is about 50 years old and falls off the post all the time. we have been renovating one of the old houses for the past two years, it is finally getting somewhat (Im taking liberties with somewhat to make myself feel better) complete but we have this absolutely embarrassing mailbox with a gross painted palm tree on it. BUT i finally bought a new one!!! i do have a question, are there any rules about how far from the road the mailbox should be? ours seems so far back....in nj we had to have it right next to the curb so the snowplows could knock it down at least once every winter. we r in del ida historic, is that in your area? anyway so nice to meet you
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,912,717 times
My route is out west actually, but your area was my first route!

There is a little spec sheet that has the height etc on it. Old residents are grandfathered in as far as distance from the road, but new residents have to install the box so it is serviceable from the street.

it won't be hard to figure out who your mailperson is...are you south of Geo Bush or north? that's all you have to say. I'm not sure of the DEl Ida boundaries any more. I assume you're east of Swinton.

2 of my coworkers live in that neighborhood.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

124 posts, read 222,233 times
anyone have any thoughts on the over 55 golf course communities outside Ocala? Just found out an old friend is locked into Dell Web Stone Creek a year out. I'm hearing different things about water costs and other utilities. Not much on gated communities with all their rules, but perhaps as the aging progresses it would be nice to have a built in social life??? Hard to imagine this former college party guy looking into places like this but I guess time goes on !!!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 5,759,339 times
Check out Black Diamond near Beverly Hills, FL. It is about 30 minutes SW of Ocala.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM

391 posts, read 636,677 times
Those 55 + communities can be great if you would to get involved in different social groups and activities. I am more of a private person myself, and prefer a bit of distance between home and social groups, if you know what I mean. To each his own.

When you do look into them, please be sure to understand EXACTLY who supplies every utility, including water, electric, sewage, trash, internet, and cable. Then contact each one directly. Do not assume that one company will provide more than one, nor that it is not a thinly veiled entity owned by the developer. Ask if you are allowed to have a propane tank if you want to later I stall a generator. Things are done a bit differently here. Ask about and READ HOA rules. Ask about dues and whether the HOA is still in the hands of the developer, and how votes are tallied. Ask about whether you will actually own or lease the lot. Ask about bonds. Ask about restrictions on visitors and how long can you have visitors. Ask about parking. Garages run small, and some communities do not allow overnight parking in the driveway. Ask if there are restrictions on the size or type of vehicle allowed. and these are just off the top of my head. Caveat Emptor, my friend. Always.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:33 PM

124 posts, read 222,233 times
Dax....good info. I've lived in HOA communities before. Not that great of a fan of them...but as I age I'm just wondering if single independant single family home in younger folks neighborhood will be the right fit. Plus, I think after moving my wife all around a few states, she deserves some roots and fellow old folks to hang and golf with.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 PM

391 posts, read 636,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterdude View Post
Dax....good info. I've lived in HOA communities before. Not that great of a fan of them...but as I age I'm just wondering if single independant single family home in younger folks neighborhood will be the right fit. Plus, I think after moving my wife all around a few states, she deserves some roots and fellow old folks to hang and golf with.
Completely understand. Florida, as you probably know, is the damnedest place I've ever seen. I don't know of another
state where there is more segregation by age than anything else. It is hard to find an area that has a good mix of young and old, and even I do not want to live in an area of predominately young families. I was fortunate to find the home I have.

Anyway.....Florida State laws give much to the developers of 55+ communities and HOAs and offers little recourse to the homeowner. Prospective homeowners are seduced by the beautiful, well-kept neighborhoods, the golf courses, and amenities and forget to fully draw back the curtains to see the nuts and bolts. People actually think that every resident has the same taste in landscaping, paint colors, type of grass, and no one owns a boat. Tee times are available whenever you want to play, walk-ups can get on, and that Ladies' league plays only at night. I truly believe that the underlying premise is that rules and regulations prevent total anarchy and nothing should be left to chance, unless you are the developer. I know I sound like a broken record, but only you can decide what you can live with and what crosses the line. Once you buy, you must comply. Anyone can play the game, but to win, you gotta know the rules.

Florida is also odd concerning utilities. Unless you are in a major metropolitan area, all utilities can be a mishmash of providers. Privately owned companies, co-ops, developer owned, city provided, county provided, you have your own well, you have your own septic, your HOA owns the well and/or community waste, cable, satellite, natural gas may be available, propane may be allowed but you may have to buy and bury the tank, etc. Some communities own the cable, and dictate what channels are available. Private providers may be bought out by municipalities. I know it all sounds complicated, but I only want to underscore how important it is to not assume anything. Also......don't buy anything that backs up to an undeveloped property. Zoning and planning goes to the highest bidder. Check easements. Look at the roads and avoid feeder roads. Sooner or later, they will be widened.

All of this applies to any home bought in Florida. 55+ or not. Knowledge is power. When you finally do decide on a place to call home, I would like to think that you will be comfortable with the choice you made and are fairly secure in the location.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,459 times
Its so confusing trying to figure out the place to be in Florida. I've never lived in Florida only visited in the winter. I'm figuring that if I move from SC to Ocala I will be trading 2 more months of hot weather for 3 or 4 months of great winter weather. Do those of you living in Ocala agree? Also I would suppose the bug issue is pretty under control as long as you get house sprayed. Is that right?
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM

1,459 posts, read 946,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover6422 View Post
Its so confusing trying to figure out the place to be in Florida. I've never lived in Florida only visited in the winter. I'm figuring that if I move from SC to Ocala I will be trading 2 more months of hot weather for 3 or 4 months of great winter weather. Do those of you living in Ocala agree? Also I would suppose the bug issue is pretty under control as long as you get house sprayed. Is that right?
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Being from Pennsylvania, I find it's fairly rare for it to get truly cold here in Ocala. The native Floridians seem to get chilled any time the daily high temperature drops below 70, which is at times amusing.

Between December and February (give or take), the high/lows fluctuate between 50's/30's and 70's/50's a lot of the time.
The warmest months can be absolutely brutal if you're not used to it, in part because the constant humidity factor makes the air so thick that sweating is both instantaneous and does absolutely nothing to cool the body down. You'll want to avoid being outside between 11am and 4-5pm for very long due to potential heat stroke, and pets are particularly vulnerable to complications from being left outside for too long.

Your issue(s) with insects, arachnids, snakes, and other pests will vary depending upon where you move to in the area. If you're not near a body of water or abundantly wooded areas, it's dramatically less severe. I've personally found it best to have the exterior of your home, along with your yard sprayed monthly rather than the interior of your home receiving any treatment. Some companies will also mix in a lawn fertilizer with the exterior service as an added bonus. Spraying the interior of your home, unless the home is old; is of wood construction; you're in a heavily wooded area; or already have an infestation of some sort; is really a gimmick used by companies to ensure that they'll have to come back (as there is no exterior chemical barrier to prevent/deter pests from entering your home in the first place).

The exterior option is also good because of the prevalence of fire ants; using 'mound destroyer' on fire ants typically just makes the survivors move to another place in the yard. Simply find a pest control company that also sprays into the mounds in addition to doing the topical on your lawn, if needed. Also, mosquitoes are heinous just before dusk and into the nighttime during the spring and summer. The exterior spray service will mitigate some of this provided the proper additive is used in the chemical solution sprayed by the company you select. Enclosed or screened porches/lanais/etc. are wonderful for this reason if you enjoy sitting out in the evenings or early mornings and don't want to be lunch for these critters.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,459 times
So can I expect Ocala to be hot and sticky from April through October? Do the nights cool down enough to enable a person to sit on their porch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala