U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 PM

113 posts, read 160,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
In Florida "trailer parks" are known as mobile home parks. And while family mobile home parks can be sketchy, most of the 55+ parks are very nice. My parents lived in a 55+ park in Dunedin and it's very clean and friendly. Many are resident owned and have amenities. My mom was able to live there independently until she turned 93 because neighbors look out after each other. It's nice not having to share a wall with your neighbor, like condo living. There's not as much upkeep if you're a snowbird. And best of all, you can find nice mobile homes for $50k - $80k including the land. Maintenance is around $150 a month. It's not for everyone, but it's the route I'll probably take. Possibly in the Ocala area.
I have seen some retirement trailer parks. They are fine. They are not at all like the stereotypes you might think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:19 PM

1,457 posts, read 943,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Most of the large 55+ communities have guarded entrances and outside cars and visitors cannot enter without a good reason. Crime tends to be low in those communities.
While the risk of quite a few types of crime are lower in those communities, the reality is that misdemeanor crime in general tends to go both ignored by LEOs and/or unreported in the larger, more active communities. The Villages is of course the prime example of such. There's a fairly large shadow culture of substance abuse, assault, sexual deviancy and disease there to be sure.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:00 PM

391 posts, read 635,043 times
Bump

Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM

14 posts, read 6,842 times
Greetings! My wife and I lived in South FL (Davie area) for over 25 years. Three years ago after retiring we moved to Katy, TX. For family reasons, we have decided to move back to FL and are looking at the Ocala area. BTW - the decision to move was made BEFORE Harvey and thank God we were not affected!

Anyway, we have been looking at homes in the Oak Run and Ocala Palms communities on the internet and there seems to be a plethora of nice homes under $150,000. Can anyone here offer up opinions, insights, or personal experiences? One thing the wife is very concerned about is the prevalence of sinkholes. Thanks, and we hope to see you you soon!

Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,362,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PairsNPaint View Post
Greetings! My wife and I lived in South FL (Davie area) for over 25 years. Three years ago after retiring we moved to Katy, TX. For family reasons, we have decided to move back to FL and are looking at the Ocala area. BTW - the decision to move was made BEFORE Harvey and thank God we were not affected!

Anyway, we have been looking at homes in the Oak Run and Ocala Palms communities on the internet and there seems to be a plethora of nice homes under $150,000. Can anyone here offer up opinions, insights, or personal experiences? One thing the wife is very concerned about is the prevalence of sinkholes. Thanks, and we hope to see you you soon!
I am giving the Ocala area some serious consideration as well. As to sinkholes, though, according to this map, Marion County is sinkhole prone, sorry to say.

Maps of sinkhole homes. Sinkhole maps in Florida and the USA. Sinkhole alley map.

It is not as bad as "Sinkhole Alley", but it does have them. If it is a concern for the wife, then perhaps you should look in another part of the state.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:00 PM

152 posts, read 56,811 times
I've been here less than a month, and I've noticed a few things.

1. There are a lot of really heavy people here, and the local diet is not good. There are many unhealthy people here. I had to take my dad to the ER, and a number of people came in while he was being treated. They weren't little cuts and sprains, like you would expect to see in most ER's. It was people with severe heart problems and COPD.

2. Local restaurants are generally not good, and a fair percentage are dirty.

3. It can be difficult to find restaurant food that isn't extremely unhealthy. I love butter and beef, but it's a little too much even for me. I saw a Taco Bell offering burritos filled with tater tots.

4. People here are not in a hurry. When you talk to people, you have to get used to them pausing for a while before responding. It's a little strange.

On the plus side:

1. Everyone is very, very nice, and it seems to come from the heart. Christianity is very big here, and it shows. Sometimes people say goodbye to strangers when they get off elevators.

2. Many things are cheaper. Property taxes. Restaurants. Certain food items. Gas and diesel. A Mickey D's breakfast that cost me almost ten bucks in Dade costs about five here.

3. Traffic is a joke. You may have to drive a long distance to get to a store, but you'll be driving fast, without many stops.

I am glad to be here. The negatives are minor, and the pluses are major. And anything is better than Dade County.

Last edited by A Little Hoarse; 09-06-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,362,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
I've been here less than a month, and I've noticed a few things.

1. There are a lot of really heavy people here, and the local diet is not good. There are many unhealthy people here. I had to take my dad to the ER, and a number of people came in while he was being treated. They weren't little cuts and sprains, like you would expect to see in most ER's. It was people with severe heart problems and COPD.

2. Local restaurants are generally not good, and a fair percentage are dirty.

3. It can be difficult to find restaurant food that isn't extremely unhealthy. I love butter and beef, but it's a little too much even for me. I saw a Taco Bell offering burritos filled with tater tots.

4. People here are not in a hurry. When you talk to people, you have to get used to them pausing for a while before responding. It's a little strange.

On the plus side:

1. Everyone is very, very nice, and it seems to come from the heart. Christianity is very big here, and it shows. Sometimes people say goodbye to strangers when they get off elevators.

2. Many things are cheaper. Property taxes. Restaurants. Certain food items. Gas and diesel. A Mickey D's breakfast that cost me almost ten bucks in Dade costs about five here.

3. Traffic is a joke. You may have to drive a long distance to get to a store, but you'll be driving fast, without many stops.

I am glad to be here. The negatives are minor, and the pluses are major. And anything is better than Dade County.
I have to agree with you on Dade County. You should have seen it back in the 80s, there was nothing like it then and it was such a great mix of people, too. So interesting. But now, you couldn't drag me back there.

We are looking forward to getting to know the area better. The Tampa area has gotten way too congested for us. When we came off one of the exits to Ocala, I immediately felt comfortable and more relaxed.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 PM

152 posts, read 56,811 times
I lived in Dade off and on from 1969-2017. When I was a kid, it was full of rude people from the northeast. After that, it filled up with rude Hispanics. Then came the cocaine cowboy days, which were disgraceful. Now there are a lot of Haitians, and because many Cubans have a problem with blacks, it's not a good situation. You don't want to be black around a Cuban cop in Miami.

The original Dade people took off a long time ago. They were very nice. Florida crackers. They could not stand the aggressive people who piled in on top of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala