Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with the Sebring area but not Ocala. Does anyone know both cities to tell me if they are similar? I like the Sebring area for how easy it is to get around. Would a person be able to go to hospitals/doctors/churches and stores without going on the freeway, in Ocala?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Would a person be able to go to hospitals/doctors/churches and stores without going on the freeway, in Ocala?
Yes, absolutely, assuming that by "freeway" you're referring to something along the lines of i75.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:33 PM

51 posts, read 221,960 times
We looked at both Sebring and Ocala before deciding to move to Ocala; and like you, I wanted to avoid interstate driving. Ocala is "just right". Not too small, not too big.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:40 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
Thank you both for your replies. That is just what I wanted to know. I am going to go see it for myself real soon. I do not want a big city and the population has me a bit concerned.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:06 PM

69 posts, read 208,781 times
can anyone compare crystal river to ocala for a 71 yr. old couple that just retired from the baltimore maryland area. thanks

Old 12-07-2014, 03:26 PM

51 posts, read 221,960 times
Hi Jim. Crystal River is smaller than Ocala and has a lower cost of housing than Ocala. More restaurants, shopping in Ocala, but Crystal River is nearer the gulf which is nice. They are close enough so when you come down you can visit both easily.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Crystal River is more scenic.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim prow View Post
can anyone compare crystal river to ocala for a 71 yr. old couple that just retired from the baltimore maryland area. thanks
Ocala will have more places to eat and shop, as well as offer better and/or more accessible healthcare options. You just need to be choosy (in Ocala and surrounding areas) regarding which community you elect to move into. Depending upon your desired lifestyle, housing costs may be slightly greater in Ocala than in Crystal River.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 AM

Default research trip, re: relocation to fl.

my wife and i plan to make a run from balto., md. to the general area of crystal river, ocala, sebring and ?? we need to get a real world overview of what these and surrounding areas actually look like and the geographical overlay. in order to get the most out of the scouting trip, what type of information should we take with us, what should we be looking at / for, to get the most out of a long trip? besides the actual housing aspect, what is health care, shopping, amusement, etc. like? i know it will not be the same as living near a major city in balto. many thanks for the time taken to respond to my request for information.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:46 AM

Default crystal river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagala View Post
Hi Jim. Crystal River is smaller than Ocala and has a lower cost of housing than Ocala. More restaurants, shopping in Ocala, but Crystal River is nearer the gulf which is nice. They are close enough so when you come down you can visit both easily.
thanks for the reply. do you have any suggestions on how to scout the area? we were thinking about coming down and trying to pre-set up transportation with a non-realtor person. i was thinking about a tour type sedan vehicle with a knowledgeable driver to just show us the lay of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala