U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 39,847 times

Advertisements

Actually I'm a she. What made you think I was a male? It is because my name on here?? Isn't that judging now? Even my parents agree with me. We have never seen anything like it in this town. Many outsiders agree as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,747,145 times
Let me restate that "She" likes to throw out negative and unsubstantiated stereotypes on numerous threads about Ocala, many of which are completely inaccurate and offensive to many who live here and are not disillusioned.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 AM

128 posts, read 269,122 times
i don't care what you are or what your parents agree with. if it's that bad, then find somewhere else to live, it's simple. out of every 1000 citizens here, maybe 20 hate it. you can't please everybody and for the ones that aren't pleased, take advantage of the rest of the country.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 PM

12 posts, read 15,627 times
Sorry, but I agree with stormtracker 45. Ocala is one of those dumpy Florida towns with nothing to do but sit by the house drinking a beer cause you can't get a job to live like a human being should live. Don't let anyone fool you, there are druggies and everything else here, take it from Mother Teresa. Came to visit and now I am back where I belong.... the real Cala, California that is. byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,747,145 times
Every town/city, anywhere will have a certain element that most consider undesirable but don't paint the entire community with the same brush. This is completely unfair and your personal experience is not shared by all. You are entitled to your opinion, but I guarantee if you look close enough at your own community you will see some of the same stereotypes in your own town/city.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM

3,750 posts, read 2,904,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga1010 View Post
Sorry, but I agree with stormtracker 45. Ocala is one of those dumpy Florida towns with nothing to do but sit by the house drinking a beer cause you can't get a job to live like a human being should live. Don't let anyone fool you, there are druggies and everything else here, take it from Mother Teresa. Came to visit and now I am back where I belong.... the real Cala, California that is. byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ee.
The fact that you can't get a job here says more about you than for Ocala.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
The fact that you can't get a job here says more about you than for Ocala.
To be fair, I had a helluva time getting hired anywhere recently and only found a job because I knew someone. I'm an excellent worker, not some lowlife slacker, and know quite a few people with the same issue that are still on the hunt here, so I don't think being unable to find a job here says as much about the person as you suggest. I love Ocala, and don't pay any attention to the haters, but it's always been a crappy place to find jobs, even before the recession. I can't really say I have any complaints besides that, though

Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 AM

391 posts, read 634,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
To be fair, I had a helluva time getting hired anywhere recently and only found a job because I knew someone. I'm an excellent worker, not some lowlife slacker, and know quite a few people with the same issue that are still on the hunt here, so I don't think being unable to find a job here says as much about the person as you suggest. I love Ocala, and don't pay any attention to the haters, but it's always been a crappy place to find jobs, even before the recession. I can't really say I have any complaints besides that, though
^ This....Ocala is a hard nut to crack. Always was.....Congrats, and good luck, Ric!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,503 times
Default New to area

I'm from the Central Fla area - I-4 corridor, we moved here a year ago for my husband's job. We spent our first 8 months in GSV and I didn't care for it. I'm in my 40's and have 5 kids. Although it is very diverse, which is cool...the traffic is like being stuck on SR 434 in Longwood during rush hour, Oi! A huge turn off, is the panhandlers; they are EVERYWHERE in GSV, you can't escape them. You could be 20 miles from University Blvd, stop at a Dollar General for a water, and there will be someone asking for money when you approach your car to leave. It's like they wear parking lot camouflage...they appear out of no where. The only area I liked was west of 75 toward Newberry and surrounding.

We moved here to Ocala 4 months ago. We found a quiet, tucked away, older, established, quaint neighborhood off SR 40, and 25th, about 5 miles or so from Silver Springs. So far we LOVE it. It can be choppy, so I stick to the stores on E. Slvr Spgs Blvd. If we ever move, I would def. pick the neighborhoods down 25th - off 17th, love those areas, they remind me of College Park/Winter Park (off Park Ave.), outside Orlando... back in the 90's...very nice.

Ocala is extremely family oriented and laid back. My biggest issue: I didn't realize the bible belt came down this far. Upon meeting new ppl, the second sentence is "What church are you affiliated with?" And they mean business! If you don't answer appropriately, you get preached to. I thought that type of intrusiveness phased out with WHAM and Atari, it's very annoying. The ppl in Ocala with kids are polite and approachable. The older - empty nesters and higher- are more rude and impatient. The shopping here is the worst. They should close down TJ Maxx, Ross and other discount stand alone retailers, why pay rent and overhead for scant merchandise? Flea markets and second hand stores galore but the prices are outrageous for other ppl's used stuff.

The retirement community here is no different than other town. They are grumpy, self entitled, paranoid coffin-dodgers ....I hope and pray I'm spared that suffering. The further you go west - outside Ocala....you experience a mix of old South, Hilljacks, and a reserved Spanish community.

If you have kids/family, Ocala is doable. You are an hour and a half to two hours from everything (Tampa, Orlando, Jax, Daytona, Clearwater, etc.). Not wanting to travel on a regular basis for entertainment? There are tons of places/parks/public watering holes, etc. to visit here. It's an acceptable balance for those of us that left our party days behind with the closing of Rosie O'Grady's and the Blue Room in downtown Orlando and 600 North in Daytona Beach.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 AM

WHAM will never be phased out. Watch your words lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or