U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,041,115 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in Ocala and seems to like it very well. The only negative I can say or what I remember anyway that it was tough to get a good paying job.

Everyplace you live has drugs, a certain amount of crime, and people who drink beer, which isn't a crime as long as you're not driving.

I would say overall that Ocala is a good place to raise a family, I would be a little Leary of the job markets in that region, but an overall quality of life and accessibility to other places based on Ocala's location, isn't a bad place to wind up if you're looking for a relocation possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

113 posts, read 160,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris-fla View Post
I'm from the Central Fla area - I-4 corridor, we moved here a year ago for my husband's job. We spent our first 8 months in GSV and I didn't care for it. I'm in my 40's and have 5 kids. Although it is very diverse, which is cool...the traffic is like being stuck on SR 434 in Longwood during rush hour, Oi! A huge turn off, is the panhandlers; they are EVERYWHERE in GSV, you can't escape them. You could be 20 miles from University Blvd, stop at a Dollar General for a water, and there will be someone asking for money when you approach your car to leave. It's like they wear parking lot camouflage...they appear out of no where. The only area I liked was west of 75 toward Newberry and surrounding.

We moved here to Ocala 4 months ago. We found a quiet, tucked away, older, established, quaint neighborhood off SR 40, and 25th, about 5 miles or so from Silver Springs. So far we LOVE it. It can be choppy, so I stick to the stores on E. Slvr Spgs Blvd. If we ever move, I would def. pick the neighborhoods down 25th - off 17th, love those areas, they remind me of College Park/Winter Park (off Park Ave.), outside Orlando... back in the 90's...very nice.

Ocala is extremely family oriented and laid back. My biggest issue: I didn't realize the bible belt came down this far. Upon meeting new ppl, the second sentence is "What church are you affiliated with?" And they mean business! If you don't answer appropriately, you get preached to. I thought that type of intrusiveness phased out with WHAM and Atari, it's very annoying. The ppl in Ocala with kids are polite and approachable. The older - empty nesters and higher- are more rude and impatient. The shopping here is the worst. They should close down TJ Maxx, Ross and other discount stand alone retailers, why pay rent and overhead for scant merchandise? Flea markets and second hand stores galore but the prices are outrageous for other ppl's used stuff.

The retirement community here is no different than other town. They are grumpy, self entitled, paranoid coffin-dodgers ....I hope and pray I'm spared that suffering. The further you go west - outside Ocala....you experience a mix of old South, Hilljacks, and a reserved Spanish community.

If you have kids/family, Ocala is doable. You are an hour and a half to two hours from everything (Tampa, Orlando, Jax, Daytona, Clearwater, etc.). Not wanting to travel on a regular basis for entertainment? There are tons of places/parks/public watering holes, etc. to visit here. It's an acceptable balance for those of us that left our party days behind with the closing of Rosie O'Grady's and the Blue Room in downtown Orlando and 600 North in Daytona Beach.
Where you live in kind of Bible Beltish. It's really the area. I would call it the Bible Sliver. If you are to move a little farther from the established neighborhoods, you will see it is probably more like what you thought it would be like.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,071 times
I have to agree with Stormtracker. Ocala is disgusting and vile. I am a firefighter here in ocala and run all sorts of calls. No city is crime free I understand but ocala is a TERRIBLE place to live... RUN far far away. It is one big ghetto aside from a very few areas that are nice but let's be honest unless you own horses and make millions you aren't allowed to live there. The county commission and the city council have there own agendas and are not for the people and could careless. For such a small town the crime is unbelievable. Believe me I'm on the calls. If you don't believe me drive around downtown. Right next to shops are the homeless shelters and there is a reason why the west side of downtown is called brown town ghetto. In fact the entire west side of the city limit is nothing but a crime filled ghetto with shacks that should be condemned. We are told to not use our lights when entering these areas because they don't want us to cause a stir and be mistaken for police. Ocala is nothing but section 8 low income housing. There are more people on welfare and food stamps here than people that actually have jobs and pay taxes. Down town is FULL of dirty beggers, and I can't even tell you how many times I have been driven up to at the gas station and harassed for money by people claiming to have a friend or family in the hospital and need money for gas to go see them or money for groceries. Me and my fiancé are actively seeking a new county to move to immediately.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM

3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
EDG1086, you are entitled to your opinion but I have to completely disagree with you and your misconceived perceptions of Ocala. How long have you been here? I have lived in the Ocala area since 1980 and feel quite differently than you.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:35 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times
Panhandlers are everywhere. Not an Ocala phenomenon.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM

I must disagree with EDG as well. I mean, so city is perfect, but I grew up there and I couldn't disagree more with your post.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM

260 posts, read 767,402 times
There is nothing in Ocala for a family to do.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM

I grew up in Ocala and I was never bored.
Besides, within about an hour and a half you have Gainesville (UF, museums, games, shopping, etc.) , Jacksonsville (shopping, beaches, sports), Orlando (every theme park you could imagine and everything else), Tampa (Busch Gardens, etc), Daytona (and many other beaches).

Old 06-24-2014, 04:59 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
Of course there is. The greenway for one with incredible bike paths and free children's playgrounds.
The ochlawaha river accessibility.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
Absolute garbage. I doubt you have been here very long, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or