U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 AM

389 posts, read 634,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnston View Post
Hi Gang

I'm 66 looking to retire from the City Of Philadelphia to simple clean country living, yet close enough to hospitals and shopping. I don't get wrapped up in politics. I have friends on both sides of the fence.

Ocala @ Spanish Oaks looks very affordable, since I have simple tastes and patience in traffic.

It seems Ocala might be a little cooler than the Tampa area during those hot summer months.
Hi, Mike. Not ignoring you, but I honestly don't know anything about Spanish Oaks in particular. If you have read other threads, you should have an idea of what to look for in any Mobile Home community such as prospectus for the Park, HOA rules, and utility providers. I hope someone can give you more specific info about that MHP.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,879 times
Thank you all

I've read few inflamatory/raw comments about some of the folks who may transplant to Ocala.

It may be that Northern Florida is perhaps more conservative? But as I mentioned, these possibilities do not desuade me from possibly making the move.

From what I've read and seen and heard about Ocala, (compared to living in troubled Philadelphia for over 35 years), I'm ready for a break. And after developing painful Neuropathy from surgical trauma, I can't take the cold winters anymore.

My Aunt lives in the 'The Villages'

Thanx for your opinions.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,589 times
Hi,

I recently moved to Ocala to live with my brother and sister in law, while looking for a job as a Spanish Teacher. I come from Morgantown , PA and visited before my brother, so I am clear about the differences. I debated for a few years to make the move or not. I love PA and I'm not so thrilled about FL in general, but weather wise and cost of life here versus PA, I think is not a bad choice.

I hope to find a job though. I started a month ago sending applications and included other counties around and further south not too close to Miami. Here is very quite and simple. I'm in my late 40's and don't mind it, but feels a little bit lonely.

Any suggestions as to where buy a property if I decide to permanently stay? Now is a good time price wise. Where my brother lives there are lots for 5k, which I find ridiculous and houses for 35k, are you kidding me? I wonder what's wrong or if I end up buying in a place that can potentially become a bad neighborhood. I still own my house in PA in case I have to go back, but I would much rather stay in FL.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnaymar View Post
Hi,

I recently moved to Ocala to live with my brother and sister in law, while looking for a job as a Spanish Teacher. I come from Morgantown , PA and visited before my brother, so I am clear about the differences. I debated for a few years to make the move or not. I love PA and I'm not so thrilled about FL in general, but weather wise and cost of life here versus PA, I think is not a bad choice.

I hope to find a job though. I started a month ago sending applications and included other counties around and further south not too close to Miami. Here is very quite and simple. I'm in my late 40's and don't mind it, but feels a little bit lonely.

Any suggestions as to where buy a property if I decide to permanently stay? Now is a good time price wise. Where my brother lives there are lots for 5k, which I find ridiculous and houses for 35k, are you kidding me? I wonder what's wrong or if I end up buying in a place that can potentially become a bad neighborhood. I still own my house in PA in case I have to go back, but I would much rather stay in FL.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.
I'm guessing your brother either lives in Marion Oaks or Rainbow Lakes Estates. Am I right?

Regardless, I would suggest you delay buying anything until you know where you will be employed.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Silver Springs Shore close to Bahia RD. I will definitely wait. Reading blogs can be helpful, but sometimes very confusing too. Every experience depends on the persons interest and their own personal situation.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Silver Springs Shore close to Bahia RD. I will definitely wait. Reading blogs can be helpful, but sometimes very confusing too. Every experience depends on the persons interest and their own personal situation.
Oh wow....I had thought of that area, but thought you wouldn't have to ask if your brother lived there.
I am glad you are waiting. Flexibility is a good thing to have. Once you commit to a specific area, your choices are limited. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 PM

thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:14 PM

3,749 posts, read 2,903,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG1086 View Post
I have to agree with Stormtracker. Ocala is disgusting and vile. I am a firefighter here in ocala and run all sorts of calls. No city is crime free I understand but ocala is a TERRIBLE place to live... RUN far far away. It is one big ghetto aside from a very few areas that are nice but let's be honest unless you own horses and make millions you aren't allowed to live there. The county commission and the city council have there own agendas and are not for the people and could careless. For such a small town the crime is unbelievable. Believe me I'm on the calls. If you don't believe me drive around downtown. Right next to shops are the homeless shelters and there is a reason why the west side of downtown is called brown town ghetto. In fact the entire west side of the city limit is nothing but a crime filled ghetto with shacks that should be condemned. We are told to not use our lights when entering these areas because they don't want us to cause a stir and be mistaken for police. Ocala is nothing but section 8 low income housing. There are more people on welfare and food stamps here than people that actually have jobs and pay taxes. Down town is FULL of dirty beggers, and I can't even tell you how many times I have been driven up to at the gas station and harassed for money by people claiming to have a friend or family in the hospital and need money for gas to go see them or money for groceries. Me and my fiancé are actively seeking a new county to move to immediately.
I hope you leave sooner than later. I certainly wouldnt want a firefighter with your attitude in my neighborhood.

The west side is rough....so dont go or live there. I was just in Ocala today, driving around just enjoying some of the beautiful neighborhoods, especially south east. Im 10 miles north, so Im not in Ocala every day, but do get down there twice a week or so. In the 15 years Ive lived here, I was never approached by anyone for money. In fact in the last year Ive noticed the panhandlers are gone, so something must have come down about them.

If you're into big city life, then Ocala isnt for you. However, if you are into day trips, you will never ever run out of fun things to do. I can't wait to retire so I can start to go to do some of them. The bike trails in Florida are fabulous, I can't wait to start going biking.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/pdf/biketrails_b_v6.pdf

Im only a few miles from the Gainesville-Hawthorne trail, so I can't wait to get a bike!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gain...on%3B500%3B334

Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM

1,456 posts, read 943,424 times
Quote:
Silver Springs Shore close to Bahia RD.
You've got about one foot in hood-rat central. Hopefully you're at least north of Maricamp Rd.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:12 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,390,757 times
I have some lots to sell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or