U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

16 posts, read 31,528 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at homes online in Spruce Creek retirement community. It's advertised as being close to The Villages, a place that doesn't interest me at all. Amenities aren't an interest since I'm still working and don't see an end to that. My main concern is safety and frugal living. The homes in Spruce Creek seem to fit me financially better than other areas. Does anyone live there? Is it nice as far as people? Are they all retired? Is it safe and reasonably affordable? Are there any extra fees other than HOA? Any complaints that you know of? Any types of communities like this I've seen and heard of are run like something from the Stepford wives. That doesn't interest me at all but I'm thinking if I'm in a community with the same type of people (retired or retirement age) the safety factor will be there. I'm moving from a very changing area and safety is my main criteria right now. Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 943,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southigo45 View Post
I've been looking at homes online in Spruce Creek retirement community. It's advertised as being close to The Villages, a place that doesn't interest me at all. Amenities aren't an interest since I'm still working and don't see an end to that. My main concern is safety and frugal living. The homes in Spruce Creek seem to fit me financially better than other areas. Does anyone live there? Is it nice as far as people? Are they all retired? Is it safe and reasonably affordable? Are there any extra fees other than HOA? Any complaints that you know of? Any types of communities like this I've seen and heard of are run like something from the Stepford wives. That doesn't interest me at all but I'm thinking if I'm in a community with the same type of people (retired or retirement age) the safety factor will be there. I'm moving from a very changing area and safety is my main criteria right now. Thanks for any help.
Spruce Creek South or Spruce Creek Del Webb, out of curiosity?

Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM

Are they different communities that are connected? I was wondering the difference of the two. The houses I saw said Spruce Creek South. Can you tell me the difference? Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Are they different communities that are connected? I was wondering the difference of the two. The houses I saw said Spruce Creek South. Can you tell me the difference? Thanks
Spruce Creek South is about 7 miles south of Spruce Creek Del Webb and is not connected with it. Spruce Creek South borders The Villages, and is a located across the street from a Walmart and adjacent to a plaza that has fast food, retail, and professional businesses, though Spruce Creek South is gated as well as walled off. The entrances to the community lead out to 411, so you have easy access to The Villages, Ocala, or other destinations further away via 27/i75/i4, etc.

The northern portion of Del Webb actually links with CR-25 in Belleview, FL, which is an older, more rural town that is quite small. Commercialization is not a factor. The southern portion of Del Webb leads out to 441, which gives you access to The Villages, Ocala, or other destinations further away via 27/i75/i4, etc. Del Webb is newer than Spruce Creek South, however, and is of higher & more modern quality over all. Homes cost close to twice as much in Del Webb as they do in Spruce Creek South as far as houses of comparable size goes, however, so this is a factor to weigh against your budget. The community is gated and restricted in a similar fashion to Spruce Creek South.

Both require you to maintain the manicured appearance of your property, and even restrict what you can do with your property exterior in terms of decor. People in both communities are typically friendly and neighborly, though there are the occasional busybodies mixed in which are unavoidable most anywhere you live with other people in such proximity. Both communities are very quiet. Both communities are safe. The cost of living (aside from the cost of housing) is about the same for either. Electricity is cheap in either community as compared to somebody who is living in the city of Ocala itself (1/2 as much for most people).

Over all, either are good choices for comfort, safety, and affordability if you're into the whole gated, HOA, rules-ridden situation. Del Webb is further removed from The Villages and other shopping, but with the advantage of the other qualities I mentioned and still within a more than reasonable distance of either The Villages and Ocala.

I've had two sets of relatives live in each of the two communities. Both were (or are) very satisfied with the relative tranquility factor.

So, just relaying what I've heard and/or observed.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM

Thank you for the information. Cost of housing is very important. I'm on a limited income and tight budget. It sounds like Spruce Creek South might be a better place to look first financially. Safety is of utmost importance since I've lived in an area in a Northern state that has changed drastically the last couple of years to the point I don't feel safe day or night. Of course, I'm upside down in my house so will have to either short sale if I qualify or walk away. This means I'm 70yrs old starting all over from scratch so cost of housing and the move is really important. I've heard that The Villages end of Spruce Creek South has crime and when the snowbirds go home for the summer leaving their homes vacant, there is an increase in crime and break ins. Definitely not what I'm looking for at all. I will be checking into that with the local police department also. I'm am encouraged that you do have happy relatives living in both SC South and Del Webb. It's good to hear an opinion other than the real estate agents. They can't give the real scoop which makes it hard for people moving into unknown territory. The person I know living in The Villages has a very one sided view of where to live in FL - The Villages or nothing. I don't agree. It doesn't seem like a place where I would be happy. Actually, TV is 2 1/2 times larger than the small town I'm living in now. I would like something smaller with less hustle/bustle that sounds like TV have. Thanks again for you input. You did answer my questions. Now I have a better idea of what each community has to offer.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Cost of housing is very important. I'm on a limited income and tight budget. It sounds like Spruce Creek South might be a better place to look first financially. Safety is of utmost importance since I've lived in an area in a Northern state that has changed drastically the last couple of years to the point I don't feel safe day or night. Of course, I'm upside down in my house so will have to either short sale if I qualify or walk away. This means I'm 70yrs old starting all over from scratch so cost of housing and the move is really important. I've heard that The Villages end of Spruce Creek South has crime and when the snowbirds go home for the summer leaving their homes vacant, there is an increase in crime and break ins. Definitely not what I'm looking for at all. I will be checking into that with the local police department also. I'm am encouraged that you do have happy relatives living in both SC South and Del Webb. It's good to hear an opinion other than the real estate agents. They can't give the real scoop which makes it hard for people moving into unknown territory. The person I know living in The Villages has a very one sided view of where to live in FL - The Villages or nothing. I don't agree. It doesn't seem like a place where I would be happy. Actually, TV is 2 1/2 times larger than the small town I'm living in now. I would like something smaller with less hustle/bustle that sounds like TV have. Thanks again for you input. You did answer my questions. Now I have a better idea of what each community has to offer.
I'm originally from the northeastern US, though I've lived down here for the better part of a decade. Many communities have changed in and around the area I'm from as well and it's disheartening.

I would check with the local police department regarding the burglary issue that you mentioned. I've not heard anything personally and I suspect that such incidents are vastly more the exception than the rule. No community is 100% crime free 100% of the time no matter how much money an individual may have to work with in my experience. A possible caveat is that Florida is great in terms of allowing property owners to defend themselves -- you can shoot somebody dead on your lawn so long as you're justifiably threatened. An alarm system or, even adequate signage around the home for such is often a sufficient deterrent for anyone not living in the proverbial "hood" pockets around Marion County in general.

And yeah, many Villagers assume the mentality you ascribed to the individual you know who lives there. It's fair to stipulate that The Villages has nice homes, a more active senior community, good security, as well as an abundance of community recreation options (especially if you're a golfer) as compared with the Spruce Creek options, as well as nearly immediate access to medical facilities and (often crowded) shopping. But, at the same time, The Villages can be somewhat rife with excessive community "politics," busybody neighbors, snobby cliques, horrible morning and dinner time traffic, a comparatively frightful rate of occurrence for sexually transmitted diseases, a slightly higher than average cost of living, high property taxes, and frequently inflated property valuations.

I don't presume to speak the Gospel about the area in general; there are pros and cons to any of these gated communities and there are plenty of good people in all of them. In any case, I wish you the best of luck in finding a place where you're able to actually relax in your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or