U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 AM

93 posts, read 155,465 times

Advertisements

We live in Sarasota county now and are moving. We are just not sure WHERE yet. At first Ft myers was on our list but we are finding some things we are not about to compromise (like we could only afford a town home in that area in the "nicer" areas where we would want to be.

We have 2 small children, and live a pretty active life (we love to bike ride and things like that)

We were thinking of scoping our Ocala, Summerfield, and Leesburg and all areas around there. It looks like if we do move to that area my husband would be working at the hospital in Leesburg. So, we are keeping a commute for that in mind.

From what I can tell, the Villiages are out because we are not over 55, but anything other then that are fair game.

Any input would be very appreciated!! Tell us where to look!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM

391 posts, read 636,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
We live in Sarasota county now and are moving. We are just not sure WHERE yet. At first Ft myers was on our list but we are finding some things we are not about to compromise (like we could only afford a town home in that area in the "nicer" areas where we would want to be.

We have 2 small children, and live a pretty active life (we love to bike ride and things like that)

We were thinking of scoping our Ocala, Summerfield, and Leesburg and all areas around there. It looks like if we do move to that area my husband would be working at the hospital in Leesburg. So, we are keeping a commute for that in mind.

From what I can tell, the Villiages are out because we are not over 55, but anything other then that are fair game.

Any input would be very appreciated!! Tell us where to look!!
As much as I would love to recommend Ocala, the commute to Leesburg would not be fun. As I like to say, you just can't get there from here. It would either be the nightmare of 441/27 thru The Villages on down to 44 and over, or two lane back roads that are hard to navigate until you know the area, and even then, they aren't lighted roads through populated areas. Not sure I would want to make that trip on a daily basis, day or night. And honestly, I don't know where I would suggest you look and I personally don't care for Leesburg. Perhaps
Weirsdale, but again, the commute would be the same.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 PM

What about Summerfield??

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 PM

128 posts, read 269,588 times
i think Summerfield would be a nice place to go. It's a good middle ground between Ocala and Leesburg. I'm not a big fan of Leesburg either, and Ocala has some pretty cool places for the active types, one in particular is the Santos Trail Head, not terribly far from Summerfield. You could try Fruitland Park as well, easy access to shopping in the Villages, or Mt Dora if you wanna go the other way. You have plenty of options. I'd still say Summerfield would be your best bet if the Leesburg hospital is your husband's only choice. Ocala has 3 hospitals for him to check out as well, if he hasn't already. Either way good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM

Thank you all! Kinda bummed it's raining, but we are going to try to see what we can get into up in your area today!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM

We had a positive trip yesterday! We ruled out several areas and totally found out about what you guys mean by the commute on 441/27 being a bear! We came from the Washington DC area before moving to sarasota...so sometimes we compare "traffic" but I can see how the 441/27 would be frustrating.

So, now we are waiting on an official offer of employment since we decided that the summerfield area is totally doable!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyguy View Post
We had a positive trip yesterday! We ruled out several areas and totally found out about what you guys mean by the commute on 441/27 being a bear! We came from the Washington DC area before moving to sarasota...so sometimes we compare "traffic" but I can see how the 441/27 would be frustrating.

So, now we are waiting on an official offer of employment since we decided that the summerfield area is totally doable!
Thanks for getting back to us! Glad it was a positive trip for y'all, although I love the Sarasota area. I came here after 20+ years in Dallas, so I understand the skepticism when we talk about the 441/27 corridor, but that stretch through The Villages area sucks big time geriatric gas.

Hope things work out well for you and that you can find a place in Summerfield if/when that offer comes thru.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 PM

17 posts, read 29,817 times
Default Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
i think Summerfield would be a nice place to go. It's a good middle ground between Ocala and Leesburg. I'm not a big fan of Leesburg either
dudenameric, Two of you said " you are not big fans of Leesburg" I am a S Fl resident looking at moving to Ocala or Leesburg, but do not know the area. Could you please elaborate on what you don't like about Leesburg?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Yeah, dude........you go first....

Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 AM

9 posts, read 38,939 times
mylittletyguy,
Did your family move? If so, how do you like your new area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala