U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
It is very similar to The Villages
Not really, at all. It's tiny compared to the Villages. It's mostly incomplete compared to the Villages. It only has what - two or three golf courses? Compared to something like 20 in the Villages. It has access to shopping areas - the Villages OWNS several shopping areas (including some of the ones that Stonecrest uses). The Villages has a charter school for the children of employees who work within the Villages. Stonecrest does not. The Villages has over 1000 different clubs that residents can join. Stonecrest has a few dozen maybe?

The Villages has a hotel. Stonecrest does not. The Villages has live music every night in its "Village Square" areas, and its own radio station. Stonecrest does not.

And so on and so forth.

Basically, Stonecrest is sort of like a single section of the Villages, but without the rights to the same amenities as the Villages, and its own limited amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,391,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not really, at all. It's tiny compared to the Villages. It's mostly incomplete compared to the Villages. It only has what - two or three golf courses? Compared to something like 20 in the Villages. It has access to shopping areas - the Villages OWNS several shopping areas (including some of the ones that Stonecrest uses). The Villages has a charter school for the children of employees who work within the Villages. Stonecrest does not. The Villages has over 1000 different clubs that residents can join. Stonecrest has a few dozen maybe?

The Villages has a hotel. Stonecrest does not. The Villages has live music every night in its "Village Square" areas, and its own radio station. Stonecrest does not.

And so on and so forth.

Basically, Stonecrest is sort of like a single section of the Villages, but without the rights to the same amenities as the Villages, and its own limited amenities.
That's what I meant. A mini Villages, built similarly.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl43 View Post
Lulu, I think you will be happy in Ocala and there are tons of 55+ active communities here. I live in On Top of the World. It has three manned gatehouses so safety is no concern to me. There are two supermarkets close by. There are 3 pools (one enclosed) and 3 golf courses. There are so many activities and classes you can participate in if you choose. I have wonderful neighbors and feel very safe and comfortable here. Depending on what your wants/needs are your $$$ toward a dwelling will go a long way. If you to a search you will find lots of info.

I live in a 2 BR, 2 BA 1-1/2 car garage villa. I have a Florida room and a screened porch plus another area under roof for grilling. I have almost 1300 sf, two walk-in closets and a wonderfully large kitchen. It is actually almost too large for only one person. I plan to put mine on the market since my husband died last Fall and my health isn't so great right now. I will be moving to Pinellas Co. where I have my daughter and also two sisters--three if you count the one who spends winters there.

Ocala has just about everything a much larger city has as far as shopping and dining goes. We have two good hospitals and lots of doctors (probably because Ocala has so many retirement communities. I hate to move away but know I need to.

Good luck with your search. I think you're headed in the right direction for sure.
Hi Irishgirl43,

I am not sure if you may have moved by now out of the Top of the World community, but I hope you can still comment on my concerns about On top of the World. My husband and I are seriously considering one of the villas in OTOW. However, we have some reservations on the association fee and based on some comments here how expensive the electric bills are. We were initially informed that the HOA of $403 includes water, does this includes the water used in the lawn? Are there other miscellaneous expenses in addition to the HOA? Which electric company provides power to OTOW? Personally, I find the HOA of $403 high especially that we will not be playing golf and we do not see the need of using the gym as we do have our own stuff at home. But we find the place appealing due to the price and fairly decent size.

I hope your health has improved by now. I, too, have some major health problems that is why moving is a complicated decision as we need to consider the acceptance of our military insurance in Ocala.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

magayonon

Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magayonon View Post
Hi Irishgirl43,

I am not sure if you may have moved by now out of the Top of the World community, but I hope you can still comment on my concerns about On top of the World. My husband and I are seriously considering one of the villas in OTOW. However, we have some reservations on the association fee and based on some comments here how expensive the electric bills are. We were initially informed that the HOA of $403 includes water, does this includes the water used in the lawn? Are there other miscellaneous expenses in addition to the HOA? Which electric company provides power to OTOW? Personally, I find the HOA of $403 high especially that we will not be playing golf and we do not see the need of using the gym as we do have our own stuff at home. But we find the place appealing due to the price and fairly decent size.

I hope your health has improved by now. I, too, have some major health problems that is why moving is a complicated decision as we need to consider the acceptance of our military insurance in Ocala.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

magayonon
The fee includes outside maintenance. Both grounds and building. Not sure about roof. I think, not sure, you pay the water for the lawn. Might be a common water meter and the bill split. I would walk around the area you like and ask these questions of the people you meet. I think most would be glade to talk to you. Note the rules maybe a little different in each area so if you are going to buy re ask your questions and read the HOA rules for your community. Some fees maybe on your real estate bill in addition to real estate taxes. You can look up any property on the Marion County tax assessor site.

I think you will find the location very good.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The fee includes outside maintenance. Both grounds and building. Not sure about roof. I think, not sure, you pay the water for the lawn. Might be a common water meter and the bill split. I would walk around the area you like and ask these questions of the people you meet. I think most would be glade to talk to you. Note the rules maybe a little different in each area so if you are going to buy re ask your questions and read the HOA rules for your community. Some fees maybe on your real estate bill in addition to real estate taxes. You can look up any property on the Marion County tax assessor site.

I think you will find the location very good.
Hi rjm1cc,

Thank you so much for your reply. We are looking at Clearwater and Ocala, but I think we are more inclined to Ocala, particularly the villas at OTOW. We are weighing our options because, if ever, this will be our permanent home. I am tired of moving...so, I want to make sure that it is really the place for us. We are both retired and on fixed income. I have medical issues so we want to make sure that our insurance TRICARE PRIME is accepted. I was hoping the HOA $403 includes the water, including the water for the lawn.
The more I read posts on this forum,the more I have questions on OTOW....
1. The land is leased, what will happen after the lease expired. I know that I am not around by then, but what will happen to the house?
2. Some raised concerns on how subjective the management in resolving issues because some employees are employed by the owners. (Though, I know I will not be dealing frequently with them but at least it would be nice to know to deal with professional people.)
3. My husband read that there are fees for exterior improvements, but there was no mention on interior improvements. Would you have an idea if there is a charge for interior projects?

We will certainly visit the community ( with an agent) and ask around....but meantime, I was hoping to get as much information as possible in advance.

again, thank you.

Magayonon

Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 PM

3,829 posts, read 3,134,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magayonon View Post
Hi rjm1cc,

Thank you so much for your reply. We are looking at Clearwater and Ocala, but I think we are more inclined to Ocala, particularly the villas at OTOW. We are weighing our options because, if ever, this will be our permanent home. I am tired of moving...so, I want to make sure that it is really the place for us. We are both retired and on fixed income. I have medical issues so we want to make sure that our insurance TRICARE PRIME is accepted. I was hoping the HOA $403 includes the water, including the water for the lawn.
The more I read posts on this forum,the more I have questions on OTOW....
1. The land is leased, what will happen after the lease expired. I know that I am not around by then, but what will happen to the house?
2. Some raised concerns on how subjective the management in resolving issues because some employees are employed by the owners. (Though, I know I will not be dealing frequently with them but at least it would be nice to know to deal with professional people.)
3. My husband read that there are fees for exterior improvements, but there was no mention on interior improvements. Would you have an idea if there is a charge for interior projects?

We will certainly visit the community ( with an agent) and ask around....but meantime, I was hoping to get as much information as possible in advance.

again, thank you.

Magayonon
Not all land is leased. I think the leases are 99 years. Do not know if you have the right to renew. If you do not then the improvements would probably go to the owner of the land. I think you pay a monthly rental. Do not know if it is in the HOA fees. TOTW does have a resale office and they should be able to give you accurate information.
The builder controls everything. I look at it as a good thing. TOTW will probably still be building after I am gone. Since they are selling units they will have to keep the property up. Might be a little more expensive as he might do improvements more for marketing but I think you will have a better maintained community.
Exterior improvements would be driveway repair, grass cutting, painting, etc. Not sure if new roofs are included. I have heard they are and are not. I do not have first hand knowledge of the costs in the leased area. Interior is all your expense. Homeowners insurance is a little difference. You only have to insure the inside of the house and the HOA insures the exterior. By the way you will need a new roof from time to time so better nail down that expense. The HOA does find the contractor so you do not have that problem.
Look at Indigo East. It is part of On Top of The World but does not have most of the extras and thus its costs are lower. I think they are a in the 100 dollar range but not sure. Includes pool and club house.
You might be interested in Zillo Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US

It will let you see houses for sale and price. Also sale price of all homes. This might help you find areas where the house price is in your budget. You could probably find some single homes in TOTW that would fit your budget.

You mentioned water. In a home with a small lawn I think you could go from 75 to 100 a month on water. Most of it for the lawn so you are correct to be concerned. You should be able to look at old utility bill if buying used. I know new construction uses gas for heat, not sure about older construction.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Not all land is leased. I think the leases are 99 years. Do not know if you have the right to renew. If you do not then the improvements would probably go to the owner of the land. I think you pay a monthly rental. Do not know if it is in the HOA fees. TOTW does have a resale office and they should be able to give you accurate information.
The builder controls everything. I look at it as a good thing. TOTW will probably still be building after I am gone. Since they are selling units they will have to keep the property up. Might be a little more expensive as he might do improvements more for marketing but I think you will have a better mI aintained community.
Exterior improvements would be driveway repair, grass cutting, painting, etc. Not sure if new roofs are included. I have heard they are and are not. I do not have first hand knowledge of the costs in the leased area. Interior is all your expense. Homeowners insurance is a little difference. You only have to insure the inside of the house and the HOA insures the exterior. By the way you will need a new roof from time to time so better nail down that expense. The HOA does find the contractor so you do not have that problem.
Look at Indigo East. It is part of On Top of The World but does not have most of the extras and thus its costs are lower. I think they are a in the 100 dollar range but not sure. Includes pool and club house.
You might be interested in Zillo Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US

It will let you see houses for sale and price. Also sale price of all homes. This might help you find areas where the house price is in your budget. You could probably find some single homes in TOTW that would fit your budget.

You mentioned water. In a home with a small lawn I think you could go from 75 to 100 a month on water. Most of it for the lawn so you are correct to be concerned. You should be able to look at old utility bill if buying used. I know new construction uses gas for heat, not sure about older construction.
Thank you rjm1cc!
I understand replacement of roof not included in the services. We lived in a condo for 5 yrs, but our HOA included the roof replacement and all the materials needed for exterior repairs (even the bulbs outside, unlike OTOW, it requires homeowners to replace bulbs themselves, accdg to what I read). We have been looking for condos using realtor.com and zillow and other independent realtors, but OTOW has the most reasonable prices (we are considering the old condos/villas). We are in our mid 50's, retired and with health issues.

Cost-wise, OTOW is appealing but I am not sure if it is good for the long term--paying for most services that I know I will not use. On top of that, it seems to me that employees of the association are not really "homeowners" friendly as they work for the owners/developers. According to one post, you cannot expect a resolution of a dispute that will be disadvantageous for the owner! We will visit OTOW and talk with people who actually lives there to get a feel of it.....😊

Magayonon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or