Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,738 times

Advertisements

Moving to Florida, should I SEND my furniture or SELL?

Sending my furniture seems so expensive

...but I do like my furniture

...but if I sell my furniture, will I find nice decent priced furniture @ Florida?

Don't know what to do!

Any suggestion/ tips/ advice???

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM

6,428 posts, read 10,260,812 times
I had two clients move from Oregon to Florida that I helped buy homes in Ocala. Both of them sold all of their furniture rather than paying a company to move it here. All depends how attached you are to those items. You might want to sell the large furniture and move items you are really attached to in a small U-Haul yourself. The price of furniture in Ocala, FL is fairly inexpensive. Check out Rooms to Go, Kane's and Hudson's Furniture here or online.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,168,857 times
Yes, a lot depends on what you want to keep and what your needs are. Are you downsizing? Many who move here are downsizing and find that less is more. If you do bring everything here and then decide to sell, I would venture to say that you might not get what you think it is worth. I only kept those pieces that I could not live without and used my move to transition from traditional furniture to a style that suits my indoor/ outdoor lifestyle. I never did replace the formal dining. A breakfast nook and patio furniture on the lanai suits our needs much better. What brings you to Ocala?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:11 PM

44 posts, read 93,557 times
I went thru the same thing when we moved from Virginia to Florida. I ended up moving my furniture to Florida and I'm really glad I did in spite of the costs of moving it.

First, it was pretty expensive stuff and I liked the style and figured I'd be happy with it in Florida. If the furniture you have is not fairly new and you aren't in love with it, I probably would say don't pay to move it.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,209,756 times
I am guessing you priced out moving companies??? Always more than they estimate!! And regardless of what they tell you, it will always take longer for them to deliver your furniture than what they promise and there is always several items damaged that you usually will not discover until after the movers have left.

Renting a one way 24' truck is usually less than $2000.00 and hopefully you will have someone who will help you load it. They all have a web site where you can check out prices. The best part about moving yourself down is you are taking every thing down with you and you do not have to go out and duplicate things that are on there way!!

Next, make a list of everything you want to leave behind. Then go shopping one weekend and see what it would cost you to replace everything you are looking to leave behind with a similar item. It is simply amazing what they are selling and how much they are selling it for. You could also do some on-line shopping at one of the large ware house stores - Costco, BJ's, etc... - and see what they are selling.

Only after this will you be able to make a decision on what you should do...

From our personal experience, I wish we would of sold or donated our furniture and replaced everything when we got down here.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times
Two friends moved to Florida with all their furniture in a POD. Huge mistake. They threw away nearly everything. They found many consignment shops for value priced furniture.
Also huge discounts at sales usings easily available coupons.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM

409 posts, read 510,900 times
I also have been informed , sell or give away all your bulk items. You can really get some great deals in the area.Moving costs to much money this days, not to mention the hassle you go through if items are damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala