U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,056,160 times

Advertisements

Thanks rjm1cc, We're thinking on that. I'd really prefer staying away from HOAs but they seem to be very common around the area. I keep my home very nice and really would get cranky if someone told me I couldn't have mailbox, park my Corvette, etc... But I'm investigating coming down sometime this summer, probably July or August sometime as I think those are the nastiest months in all probability.

Last edited by Marka; 04-14-2014 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: removed quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Thanks rjm1cc, We're thinking on that. I'd really prefer staying away from HOAs but they seem to be very common around the area.....
Avoid HOAs at all costs. The HOA costs keeps going up and you have no choice but to pay it. We were told and the rules can be suffocating. I know I couldn't live where I needed permission to plant a palm tree or a few tomato and pepper plants - you get my drift.

Another thing to avoid at all costs is buying where there are sink-holes. Stay far away from areas where they are known to occur.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
Not all HOA's raise their fees on a regular basis or over controlling. My HOA fees have increased $5 since I moved to my current home in 2007. I am very happy with my HOA and am I am personally involved as a board member.

Most folks who grumble about HOA's either don't live in one or fail to attend meetings. Despite some extreme examples, most HOA's do have distinct benefits to the home owners. I know of several communities with HOA's in the Ocala area with only minimal control/fees.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 AM

9,369 posts, read 8,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
ok - thanks - that shoots it in the foot then. SWMBO would probably agree to a couple of months of oppressive humidity but not half the year. I guess my search moves back further north. bummer

Gee - a halfback without ever moving!
If someone in your family hates heat. DONT move far south (coastal Carolina south) .. Period. She will hate it. Trust me.

Try the mountains of North Carolina or Virginia. If you are not used to it, even the April sun in Florida feels like its burning a hole in your head. Summer humidity in Florida is NOTHING LIKE up north. It will literally drench you.

That said if you like heat and tolerate it well, then Florida works...many do. If you go in knowing the hot weather will bother you..just don't do it. Its brutal.

Last edited by jp03; 04-06-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Not all HOA's raise their fees on a regular basis or over controlling. My HOA fees have increased $5 since I moved to my current home in 2007. I am very happy with my HOA and am I am personally involved as a board member.
This is true. Not everyone would want top be a board member. People have to ask those who live in the GC how often and how much the fees go up. I would want to see some proof or evidence before committing to buy where there are fees.

Quote:
folks who grumble about HOA's either don't live in one or fail to attend meetings. Despite some extreme examples, most HOA's do have distinct benefits to the home owners. I know of several communities with HOA's in the Ocala area with only minimal control/fees.
I never met someone who never lived where there were HOAs that grumbled about the fees. Everyone we met in FL who grumbled either once lived where there were fees, or still do. I heard more grumbling about the rules and regulations than anything else. BTW, my SIL in The Villages had the fees in her GC raise several times but she didn't say how much and I didn't want to pry. She can't even park in her driveway for more than something like 30 minutes - all cars must be hidden in the garages. The place is creepy as I mentioned here once before. It's like a ghost town with no signs of life. In all the times we've been there we only saw two people. A man walking his dog and this year a man walk around his house and go in the front door. The whole neighborhood is SILENT. We heard no TVs, human voices, music or dogs barking. Not even a bird chirping. An excellent set for an Alfred Hitchcock movie. She has a pool but no privacy fences or hedges are allowed so they have zero privacy. I guess some people like that kind of living but it's not for everyone.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM

124 posts, read 222,034 times
well, my wife the teacher came home from school last week and said....do you mind if I retire this year instead of after next year. broke my heart, so it looks like our search will begin in earnest this summer. No hurry as she said, cause no more job to rush back to. Our only deal now is to sell 2 houses and find some health insurance....something that will work out I'm sure.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,808 times
Go all out. Go to the keys...drift away...live in utter peace with fresh fruit and very clean beaches.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This is true. Not everyone would want top be a board member. People have to ask those who live in the GC how often and how much the fees go up. I would want to see some proof or evidence before committing to buy where there are fees.

I never met someone who never lived where there were HOAs that grumbled about the fees. Everyone we met in FL who grumbled either once lived where there were fees, or still do. I heard more grumbling about the rules and regulations than anything else. BTW, my SIL in The Villages had the fees in her GC raise several times but she didn't say how much and I didn't want to pry. She can't even park in her driveway for more than something like 30 minutes - all cars must be hidden in the garages. The place is creepy as I mentioned here once before. It's like a ghost town with no signs of life. In all the times we've been there we only saw two people. A man walking his dog and this year a man walk around his house and go in the front door. The whole neighborhood is SILENT. We heard no TVs, human voices, music or dogs barking. Not even a bird chirping. An excellent set for an Alfred Hitchcock movie. She has a pool but no privacy fences or hedges are allowed so they have zero privacy. I guess some people like that kind of living but it's not for everyone.
The neighborhoods are silent because it is an ACTIVE retirement community. Most of the neighbors don't spend the majority of their time in their homes. Most of them are out at the community centers, or the pool, or the golf course, or playing pickleball or tennis and in the evening, you'll typically find them in the town squares, dancing or just hanging out in the plazas or walking on the esplanades by the lakeside.

As soon as you LEAVE the residential area, you see all those people you don't see in them.

As for the privacy thing - the older area has mature trees, fences are allowed, you can put your car in the driveway and in fact many of the older homes only have car ports and no garages.

Also, the courtyard villas have privacy walls, so you'd never see your neighbor's back yard at all.

On topic: The weather in Ocala, compared to NY State - the humidity will last long in Ocala. However, compared to other southern states, that humidity isn't as severe. Like someone else said, South Carolina is a swamp, comparatively speaking. Ocala would be a breath of fresh air. It isn't as oppressive as humidity in NYC - but probably no more comfortable than it is in Poughkeepsie.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 9,885 times
How are the winters?

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM

3,119 posts, read 5,745,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwo1973 View Post
How are the winters?
Ocala can get down to the teens a few nights during the winter, but quickly warms above freezing at daybreak. I only remember one year in the more than 30 years that I have lived here that stayed in the teens all night and day. We had a very few inches of snow about 4 years ago that melted by noon here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala