U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:33 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,057,796 times

Advertisements

Sorry, you folks probably get really sick of this kind of question but who better to answer than folks who are there.

We're in NY (NOT NYC!! The OTHER NY! ). We're located in Poughkeepsie, NY with a population of around 40k and this is about as big as we can tolerate. And it's on the big side.

I'm retired and my wife will be in probably 3 years or so. Like a lot of people in our age bracket, we want to get the h*77 out of here ASAP. The taxes are brutal, the idiots in control of the state are even worse, and I won't mention the weather, you're all familiar with that story I'm sure.

So I'm in the common quest of ferreting out places to possibly beat feet to. I'm looking at the standards: NC, SC, GA, TN, and FL. On the surface the west coast of Florida seemed high on the list but the costs are rapidly on the rise, I don't think we'd handle the droves of people in the winters and the traffic/congestion very well either.

Someone mentioned the Clermont/Ocala areas and I mentioned that being in the middle of the state, the heat and humidity have to be BRUTAL. Her contention was that it is in fact pretty bad, but only in July and August. She said those two months are VERY hot and humid and usually with no breaks but that other than those two months, while it may be hot the humidity is down and it's really quite comfortable, especially if you have a pool.

I haven't seen any discussion on the areas weather so I figured I'd toss this out and see. One thing I have seen is that staying away from Ocala Electric is imperative. SECA seems to be the more recommended choice. It also seems like north of Ocala, more acreage can be had at reasonable prices.

Just FYI, our high price point would be around 200k for a house with a pool.

Am I all wet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:16 AM

391 posts, read 635,887 times
Yes, the heat and humidity can be brutal. And it can easily extend into September. However, you learn how to dress for it, and if you aren't into lightweight shorts now, you will be. LOL Being an early riser helps as well. And yes, a screen enclosed pool makes it all bearable. My back lanai is consistently 10-15 degrees cooler than my front porch.

200k should be doable, depending on what you are looking for.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,754,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
SECA seems to be the more recommended choice.
Just to clarify, it is SECO (Sumter Electric Co-Op). Just trying to prevent any confusion.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks. But is the humidity usually contained to July and August and MAYBE a bit of Sept? Heck we get that here and if the other months aren't that humid it'd probably be great.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks dontaskwhy. Don't know where I got the "A" from... (be nice. ;-) )

Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM

1,458 posts, read 945,596 times
Quote:
Thanks. But is the humidity usually contained to July and August and MAYBE a bit of Sept? Heck we get that here and if the other months aren't that humid it'd probably be great.
May through September being the 'hot' months is more accurate, since the average highs for all of those months are in the 90's. Humidity can be a factor virtually any time of the year that it's warm.

Last edited by OpinionInOcala; 03-06-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM

ok - thanks - that shoots it in the foot then. SWMBO would probably agree to a couple of months of oppressive humidity but not half the year. I guess my search moves back further north. bummer

Gee - a halfback without ever moving!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM

3,119 posts, read 5,754,521 times
Quote:
Thanks dontaskwhy. Don't know where I got the "A" from... (be nice. ;-) )
No problem. I wasn't trying to pick on you. It's all good.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM

3,757 posts, read 2,911,397 times
Honestly, its not any hotter here than in the rest of the country in the summer months. Around Ocala, its never the hottest part of the country. Always a breeze here, too. If you pay attention during the summer, you'll see how hot it is in the rest of the country.

Im north of Ocala. I will NEVER leave.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM

3,757 posts, read 2,911,397 times
Quote:
ok - thanks - that shoots it in the foot then. SWMBO would probably agree to a couple of months of oppressive humidity but not half the year. I guess my search moves back further north. bummer

Gee - a halfback without ever moving!
Florida is a big state. The weather in the southern half of Florida is entirely different than from Ocala northward. Its nothing for there to be a 15 degree difference on the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala