Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:31 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times

Advertisements

We have been looking in Ocala Florida for a future retirement lot. Can you tell me anything about the town and the crime? It looks like a neat, sleepy little place to park. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM

75 posts, read 334,801 times
Hi Jill,

It's actually not so sleepy anymore. It's a big area though. If you are willing to live far outside the town, there are many nice places. Huge state forest close by. My parents are retiring to a community many miles North of Ocala where everything is a minimum 1/3 acre lot.

There are other places I would move first in Florida, and there are places that are much much worse than Ocala. If you are looking for sleepy, just don't get too close to Ocala itself. Some of the surrounding area is very nice.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:00 PM

10 posts, read 88,479 times
Default ocala/areas

Some things about Ocala:
Close to Gainesville (about 30 minutes) home to the SPLENDID University of Florida. Ocala is a somewhat of a blob of a city in the middle of nothingness. North of Ocala is Micanopy which is mainly a nudie bar and tons of antique stores. South of it is Wildwood and Brooksville which are somewhat up and coming areas. Wildwood does have a very nice community slightly north of it called the Villages which is a retirement area. Here's some info:

Population (year 2000): 8,333
Males: 3,970 (47.6%), Females: 4,363 (52.4%)

Sumter County

Zip code: 32159

Median resident age: 66.3 years
Median household income: $42,542 (year 2000)
Median house value: $136,100 (year 2000)

I'm sure the houses are more expensive now, but this seems to be a very nice area.
About Ocala--eh it's not my favorite place. Somewhat boring and not very small-town-like if that's what you're going for. More like suburban with no actual city nearby really. There's a mall, some flea markets, and a lot of housing.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Default Ocala Florida?

Thank you so much for the information.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 345,350 times
Default Ocala Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
We have been looking in Ocala Florida for a future retirement lot. Can you tell me anything about the town and the crime? It looks like a neat, sleepy little place to park. Thanks
Hi Jill We are visiting the Ocala area and surrounding towns next week to look at homes and the towns.... I will post my findings as soon as we get back.... we do not want a real rural area.. but would enjoy a country feel.. we now live in S Florida and it is too much of a rat race for us.
I will be taking pictures and would need to know how to post them on this site If anyone can walk me thru this I would appreciate it.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 AM

71 posts, read 326,470 times
Hi, my husband and I and my mom and her husband are all thinking of moving to ocala also. When you get any pictures please send them to us. We will be down there soon to see.Can anyone direct us in the nicer areas of ocala, what zip codes or subdivisions? We are looking for a house 200 k or under.We dont like homes so close together. I'd rather have at least near a half acre.Thanks peps!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Default ocala

There is a lot of info on this forum about Ocala. If you check into the archives, you'll find quite a bit about it. Just in case you don't know what I mean~Just click on "Search" in the dark blue at the top of the page. Just type in Ocala and it will bring up either every thread or post on it, whichever you prefer. Happy hunting!!! Pictures???? PLEASE post pics of it when you get them.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:56 AM

60 posts, read 223,100 times
How's homeowner's ins affecting the Ocala area and will it hit the limits it has further south? Are sinkholes a big problem there? I took a look at Spring Hill and it's a major concern there? I've been to the Ocala area and took a spin down to Inverness. They both seem calm and layed back. How's the Dunnellon area? Yes I know it's a lot of questions but I'm a nosey individual that is thinking on relocating down to the area.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I too thought about living in Ocala but its not so cheap anymore. Lots can be had fairly cheap at $20k an acre but to have a house built will cost a ton. Many people just buy a mobile home and put it on the land for affordable living.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,310 times
what are you saying prices advertised are not including lot price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala