Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 PM

53 posts, read 66,368 times

Advertisements

im still thnking of moving to the ocala area just not sure where but it will not be in the city. i am seriously freaking over the bear and coyote thing and i saw they do sell electric bear fences and im wondering if anyone has this around their property? i assume a regular electric dog fence wont work. do yall use any kind of gadgets that alert you if one comes up? i have a thing called a driveway patrol that you put in your drive way its about the size a a pack of cigg and if a car breaks the beam it rings on the ringer inside your house to let you know someone is in the drive way. im going to put 4 around the property lineone on each side. not just for bears but anything that comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
I have lived in the Ocala area since 1980 (inside and outside of city limits) and never once encountered a bear except at a zoo. Don't be so concerned as it is rarely an issue of concern. Bear attacks are very rare and can potentially occur anywhere there are forested areas nearby. Most bears stay well clear of people. Don't over react to the infrequent bear attacks that are splashed all over TV or internet.

You can buy an electrified fence at any cattle or horse supply. They are fairly inexpensive and can be run over long distances.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixxi_moon View Post
im still thnking of moving to the ocala area just not sure where but it will not be in the city. i am seriously freaking over the bear and coyote thing and i saw they do sell electric bear fences and im wondering if anyone has this around their property?. im going to put 4 around the property lineone on each side. not just for bears but anything that comes up......
Electric fencers aren't expensive nor is the wire used with them. Any Farm store will carry them. Employees there will be glad to give you advice on how to best use them with the fencing already in place or with a new fence. Bears don't like electric fences any more than horses and cows and will not tangle with them.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Firstly, bear encounters in Ocala aren't as common as people would like to believe. Second, when bears (and other unwanted creatures) come around a person's home here, it's typically because the owner is foolish enough to store food and/or garbage outside. As was mentioned, a farm supply store will be able to cheaply set you up with an electric fence.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Im not sure yet im moving there but gathering info ahead of time. In riding down there & looking and talking to a couple of people I was told she cant let her kids play outside alone anymore & the realtor said yes lots of bears. my sister-in-law lives around there and sees them everyday. Im going to try to stay on the east side of lake George if I can but I still want that fence & I didnt think a regular electric fence was strong enough current for a bear. I saw where actual electric bear fencing is sold online.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixxi_moon View Post
In riding down there & looking and talking to a couple of people I was told she cant let her kids play outside alone anymore & the realtor said yes lots of bears.
I am not sure who you talked to or where they live, but from my 34 years here, that is absolute hogwash.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 PM

yeah and not only bears now i hear about these hippies in the forrest and people are murdered and disappear...lol

Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 PM

262 posts, read 582,548 times
Bears?? Heck, I was worried about spiders. Now I have to worry about bears too?

Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Don't worry, the spiders don't eat much.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 AM

my sister-in-law lives in umatilla and has them in her yard every day. one lady we spoke to near silver springs said they are so bad she cant let her kids play outside alone anymore. what i worry about is if they smell food inside your home will they break your doors and windows to get inside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of: