U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 09:08 AM

135 posts, read 165,028 times

Advertisements

I am living in a temporary sublease in Gainesville, and have been offered a good deal on a house in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. I'm white, but don't mind living in a predominantly black neighborhood, as long as its safe. From what I understand, both Pleasant Street and Lincoln Park are in transition, and I witnessed that a lot of houses were being fixed up, but there are still a lot of places that are pretty run-down. I actually was supposed to move to the Pleasant Street neighborhood, but that didn't work out.

The crime map seems to be good for the area, most of the crime is centered around the NE, Linton Oaks and campus areas. This is an extremely convenient location for me, and I'm on a tight budget. I can't even find a tiny apartment for what I'd be playing for this totally renovated small house with a nice yard.

Does anyone know anything about this area of Gainesville?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I think you should ask the local police what it's like there also drive around the neighborhood at different times of the day and night. See how things are. Are there bars on the windows? Are there kids walking around the neighborhood at midnight with no parents? Are there dangerous pitbulls barking menacingly all over the neighborhood? Do people go to work during the day or stay home unemployed? Do most of the people living there own the homes or are they renting? That sort of thing .

Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM

135 posts, read 165,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I think you should ask the local police what it's like there also drive around the neighborhood at different times of the day and night. See how things are. Are there bars on the windows? Are there kids walking around the neighborhood at midnight with no parents? Are there dangerous pitbulls barking menacingly all over the neighborhood? Do people go to work during the day or stay home unemployed? Do most of the people living there own the homes or are they renting? That sort of thing .
Don't own a car, so can't drive around, but I did visit. No bars on the windows. Very quiet. Saw no animals at all, heard no barking dogs. Police department told me to check the crime map, and to be honest, it has less crime than the university, downtown and southwest areas. Police did say that it is "transitional" for the better, that it has a strong neighborhood watch and the residents ran out all the bad guys and the druggies/drunks squatting in vacant houses a few years back. Property values have increased over the past 5 years because of all the renovations. It's basically an area of urban renewal, but not of gentrification. I think I'm going to take a chance on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or