U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala
 [Register]
Ocala Marion County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM

262 posts, read 489,239 times

Advertisements

We are two more retirees looking to move to the Ocala area. I don't consider myself a snowbird or one of those people who come south when they retire since Im from Florida and have been counting the years and now months until I can go back home again. Im from Miami, but won't go that far south. So I know all about palmetto bugs and 90% humidity. Ocala seems like a nice, affordable place to land. Anyway....Ive been looking at homes for sale on the internet. Seems to be my favorite past time lately. One thing I have seen that I don't quite understand is a large screen that fits over the garage opening. It doesn't replace the garage door, just seems to go over it. Is it to be able to keep some circulation going to keep the garage cooler and not let the bugs in? Or does it have another purpose? Is it something that is desirable?

Another thing is the large screen enclosures for pools. It seems like a wonderful idea, no bugs, leaves, alligators, bears, etc. But how durable are those enclosures? How often does the screen (or frame) need to be replaced? And if it does need replacing/repairing often, is it a large expense? That is something I've had no experience with. (keeping my fingers crossed for a house with a pool)

I'm sure as the time for our move approaches, I will have more questions....thanks in advance for any helpful hints, advice, and patience. Cant wait to be a neighbor and I promise not to be one of those old people who drives 10 mph below the speed limit!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:13 AM

391 posts, read 635,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
We are two more retirees looking to move to the Ocala area. I don't consider myself a snowbird or one of those people who come south when they retire since Im from Florida and have been counting the years and now months until I can go back home again. Im from Miami, but won't go that far south. So I know all about palmetto bugs and 90% humidity. Ocala seems like a nice, affordable place to land. Anyway....Ive been looking at homes for sale on the internet. Seems to be my favorite past time lately. One thing I have seen that I don't quite understand is a large screen that fits over the garage opening. It doesn't replace the garage door, just seems to go over it. Is it to be able to keep some circulation going to keep the garage cooler and not let the bugs in? Or does it have another purpose? Is it something that is desirable?

Another thing is the large screen enclosures for pools. It seems like a wonderful idea, no bugs, leaves, alligators, bears, etc. But how durable are those enclosures? How often does the screen (or frame) need to be replaced? And if it does need replacing/repairing often, is it a large expense? That is something I've had no experience with. (keeping my fingers crossed for a house with a pool)

I'm sure as the time for our move approaches, I will have more questions....thanks in advance for any helpful hints, advice, and patience. Cant wait to be a neighbor and I promise not to be one of those old people who drives 10 mph below the speed limit!!!
The garage screens you have seen are usually one of two different varieties. One is constructed to open much the same as a garage door with a full width up and down motion. I don't care for these as much because it is either all open or all closed and a PIA if you are in and out all the time. The other is a two or four panel screen, depending on whether it is a one or two car garage. These operate much like sliders. You can open one or more as you need. Unfortunately, due to the setup, you usually cannot open the whole width of the garage unless you have an additional space to the side of your garage for the panels to slide into. You would usually see that on a single garage setup. I have, and prefer, the four panel set-up. My garage, like many in newer homes, is called a two car garage, but at 20 x 20, I cannot fit both my vehicles inside. I keep the car in, while the truck stays outside. The screens allow me to keep my garage open all day to relieve the heat. I do have the privacy screen which makes it very hard to actually see into the garage. They run about $800. with regular screening. I love it. Not only does it keep bugs out, but it does stay cooler and allows light in so that I can work in there comfortably. A bonus is when the temps cool down and I leave the door leading into the house open, along with the triple sliders leading into my screened pool so that I get a nice breeze throughout the house.

This is my first house with a pool and screen enclosure. Installed correctly, they are surprisingly durable. I really don't worry about bears and alligators, oh my. BUT remember the love bugs? Cicadas? Mosquitos? Leaves? Nothing.....Nada.....a few lizards and the occasional palmetto bug that snuck in. The usual pollen onslaught for a few weeks.....It really does help keep the pool clean and comfortable to use....and it keeps the temps down as well. They do have to be cleaned, and that can be a chore, but I do it twice a year with a pressure washer and a wand extension. It was installed 8 years ago, and so far, so good. I can't imagine not having it.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM

113 posts, read 160,929 times
Screened in pools also are a bit cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Ocala